[comp.protocols.tcp-ip] Reply to Ethernet Address Uniqueness...

stewart@XYPLEX.COM (Bob Stewart) (10/05/90)

>In the DEC VAX environment the unique Ethernet address on each board is
>overridden by DECNET when it starts to use that board.  The address is set
>to four bytes of a constant value plus two bytes which contain the DECNET
>area and node numbers.  Lots of opportunity for duplication!
>Does anyone know why DEC chose this scheme?
>
>  - Bob Fillmore     FILLMORE@EMRCAN.BITNET

I believe it was to keep down the size of routing tables.  Since the Ethernet
address can be calculated from the DECnet address, you don't have to keep a
48-bit MAC address in your mapping from Network layer to Data Link layer.

	Bob

-----------
Bob Stewart (rlstewart@eng.xyplex.com)
Xyplex, Boxborough, Massachusetts
(508) 264-9900

fillmore@emrcan.BITNET (10/05/90)

In the DEC VAX environment the unique Ethernet address on each board is
overridden by DECNET when it starts to use that board.  The address is set
to four bytes of a constant value plus two bytes which contain the DECNET
area and node numbers.  Lots of opportunity for duplication!
Does anyone know why DEC chose this scheme?

  - Bob Fillmore     FILLMORE@EMRCAN.BITNET

jqj@HOGG.CC.UOREGON.EDU (10/05/90)

Having the same MAC-level address for all interfaces (phrased differently,
associating the MAC-level address with the NODE rather than with the INTERFACE)
is part of the spec for both DECNET IV and XNS.  It falls out of a design that
has an algorithmic link between the MAC address and the protocol address.

Many people believe that having a protocol address that belongs to the node
rather than to the interface is a Good Idea, and that doing it the other way
was a bad decision in the IP suite.  I don't have a strong opinion, but I
do know that the XNS/DECNET way of doing things makes routing to multihomed
hosts easier.  In the IP world there is no unambiguous way to decide whether
2 IP addresses refer to the same host; sure I can look in the DNS, but there
is no guarantee that either or both addresses will be in the in-addr.arpa
tree.

Other people like the idea of algorithmic mapping from protocol to MAC
address.  It means that you don't need something like ARP, but it also
limits your flexibility substantially, especially on physical networks
like arcnet or 3mb Ethernet where the range of MAC addresses is very
limited or hardwired in the interface.  And it of course fails to generalize
to cases where one needs to support multiple protocol stacks that each want
to change the MAC address based on the protocol address!

oberman@rogue.llnl.gov (10/06/90)

In article <5A0A050B012801FE-MTAEMR1*fillmore@emrcan>, fillmore@emrcan.BITNET writes:
> In the DEC VAX environment the unique Ethernet address on each board is
> overridden by DECNET when it starts to use that board.  The address is set
> to four bytes of a constant value plus two bytes which contain the DECNET
> area and node numbers.  Lots of opportunity for duplication!
> Does anyone know why DEC chose this scheme?

Basic answer- They messed up! DECnet Phase V will abandon this ill concieved
idea. It was a clever idea to allow a direct and unambiguous translation from
DECnet address to Ehternet address which eliminates the need for ARP or some
similar method of Ethernet address resolution. They have since learned the
folly of this and do the reverse in Phase V. They code the 6 bytes of the
Ethernet address into the system's NSAP (OSI address).

					R. Kevin Oberman
					Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory
					Internet: oberman@icdc.llnl.gov
   					(415) 422-6955

Disclaimer: Don't take this too seriously. I just like to improve my typing
and probably don't really know anything useful about anything.

gavron@alpha.sunquest.com (Ehud Gavron) (10/06/90)

In article <5A0A050B012801FE-MTAEMR1*fillmore@emrcan>, fillmore@emrcan.BITNET writes...
#In the DEC VAX environment the unique Ethernet address on each board is
#overridden by DECNET when it starts to use that board.  The address is set
#to four bytes of a constant value plus two bytes which contain the DECNET
#area and node numbers.  Lots of opportunity for duplication!
#Does anyone know why DEC chose this scheme?

	On one ethernet, the duplication only occurs if two
	nodes have the same DECnet address -- which is not
	only a no-no but since both would have terrible
	problems, this condition would not persist long.

	There is therfore not "lots of opportunity for
	duplication."  It also is completely immaterial
	why DEC chose this scheme.  Suffice to say that
	the next major DECnet release (now targeted for
	'92) will be completely different.

#
#  - Bob Fillmore     FILLMORE@EMRCAN.BITNET
                                      ^^^^^^

	Ehud

/----------------------------------------------------------------------------\
| Ehud Gavron, Systems analyst  | gavron@vesta.sunquest.com      (Internet)  |
| Sunquest Information Systems  | uunet!sunquest!gavron          (UUCP)      |
| 930 N. Finance Center Drive   | gavron@lampf                   (BITNET)    |
| Tucson, Arizona, 85710        | (602)722-7546/885-7700 x.2546  (AT&Tnet)   |
|           your cute quote here                                             |
\----------------------------------------------------------------------------/

system@LNS61.TN.CORNELL.EDU (10/06/90)

Bob,

>In the DEC VAX environment the unique Ethernet address on each board is
>overridden by DECNET when it starts to use that board.  The address is set
>to four bytes of a constant value plus two bytes which contain the DECNET
>area and node numbers.  Lots of opportunity for duplication!
>Does anyone know why DEC chose this scheme?

The "four constant bytes" are reserved to DEC (for DECnet)
just as the high-order butes of the physical hardware Ethernet addresses
in those Ethernet boards' address ROMs are also reserved to DEC.

In a given DECnet wide-area network, all DECnet node addresses are
required to be unique. As a result, there is no opportunity for
duplication on a local Ethernet either. (I am ignoring the
complications introduced by setting limits on the address ranges
passed by routers.)

One reason that DEC chose this scheme is that it allows "end-node"
DECnet systems, which have no routing information whatsoever,
to be able to send messages to other end-node systems on the same
Ethernet even when there are no DECnet routers present.
They just calculate what the Ethernet address must be and
blindly transmit the message into the ether.

Of course, the fact that DECnet addresses are limited to 16 bits
means that larger networks are limited to a maximum of about 64K
systems. My guess is that there are fewer than a dozen networks
for which this causes problems. This address limitation in Phase IV
DECnet is one of the reasons that DEC is moving to OSI for
DECnet Phase V.

I hope this helps.

Selden E. Ball, Jr.
(Wilson Lab's network and system manager)

Cornell University                 Voice: +1-607-255-0688
Laboratory of Nuclear Studies        FAX: +1-607-255-8062
Wilson Synchrotron Lab            BITNET: SYSTEM@CRNLNS
Judd Falls & Dryden Road        Internet: SYSTEM@LNS61.TN.CORNELL.EDU
Ithaca, NY, USA 14853-8001   HEPnet/SPAN: LNS61::SYSTEM = 44283::SYSTEM

romkey@ASYLUM.SF.CA.US (John Romkey) (10/06/90)

   Date: 5 Oct 90 19:09:22 GMT
   From: decwrl!lll-winken.llnl.gov!rogue.llnl.gov!oberman
   Sender: tcp-ip-relay@nic.ddn.mil

   They code the 6 bytes of the
   Ethernet address into the system's NSAP (OSI address).

What a great idea. So if you change your ethernet card, your machine's
address changes too?
			- john romkey
USENET/UUCP: romkey@asylum.sf.ca.us	Internet: romkey@ftp.com

clw@MERIT.EDU (Chris Weider) (10/10/90)

In a recent message (10/5), Selden E. Ball, Jr. states that:
>Of course, the fact that DECnet addresses are limited to 16 bits
>means that larger networks are limited to a maximum of about 64K
>systems. My guess is that there are fewer than a dozen networks
>for which this causes problems.
I think this estimate is conservative. :)

On CICNet, we've had to jerry-rig our routers to get a true heirarchical
DECNet architechture; I suspect that a lot of other regionals have had to also.
I'm eagerly awaiting DECnet Phase 5.
Chris Weider

Chris Weider                        | -Geteilte Freude ist
MERIT's CICNet Technical Rep.       |   doppelte Freude
email: clw@merit.edu                |     -Goethe
Phone: (313) 936-2090  or           | -Party on, dudes!
       1-800-66-MERIT               |   -Abraham Lincoln, "Bill and Ted"