[comp.protocols.tcp-ip] Bad SLIP performance

dyer@spdcc.COM (Steve Dyer) (10/10/90)

I think your problems are more to do with the nature of your modems
than any inherent problems with medium speed SLIP links.  I lived for
two years quite happily with a LADS circuit supporting a full time
point-to-point SLIP connection running at 19.2kb.  No fancy modems,
just a pair of local data sets.  19.2kb SLIP is subjectively quite
reasonable, and I found that even on a heavily loaded line supporting
NNTP, a couple of telnet/rlogin sessions, regular SMTP traffic and the
occasional FTP, the delay wasn't all THAT bad.

All bets are off when you start talking about pseudo-full-duplex modems
like Telebit Trailblazers or MNP6, or noisy lines or lossy serial interfaces.
But let's identify *these* as potential areas of problems, and not tar
the underlying technology unjustly.

--
Steve Dyer
dyer@ursa-major.spdcc.com aka {ima,harvard,rayssd,linus,m2c}!spdcc!dyer

bob@MorningStar.Com (Bob Sutterfield) (10/10/90)

In article <4401@spdcc.SPDCC.COM> dyer@spdcc.COM (Steve Dyer) writes:
   All bets are off when you start talking about pseudo-full-duplex
   modems like Telebit Trailblazers or MNP6, or noisy lines or lossy
   serial interfaces.  But let's identify *these* as potential areas
   of problems, and not tar the underlying technology unjustly.

We see very reasonable performance with compressed-header SLIP or PPP
between Sun-4/60s over a pair or Trailblazer Plusses:  1.3-1.5Kb/sec
FTP throughput with PPP, nearing the modem's advertised pipe diameter.
Interactive response OK too, though not what you'd call "pleasant" if
you're used to fatter hoses.  I haven't tried high values of MNP or
HST.

Don't bother with Classic SLIP, particularly not with TBs.

DRJ100@psuvm.psu.edu (Daniel R. Jeuch) (10/11/90)

In article <BOB.90Oct10095447@volitans.MorningStar.Com>, bob@MorningStar.Com
(Bob Sutterfield) says:

>We see very reasonable performance with compressed-header SLIP or PPP
>between Sun-4/60s over a pair or Trailblazer Plusses:  1.3-1.5Kb/sec
>FTP throughput with PPP, nearing the modem's advertised pipe diameter.
>Interactive response OK too, though not what you'd call "pleasant" if
>you're used to fatter hoses.  I haven't tried high values of MNP or
>HST.
>
>Don't bother with Classic SLIP, particularly not with TBs.

Unfortunately, here at Penn State, all we have is MNP5 9600 V.32 dial-in
lines... I get throughput with classic SLIP (PSU also doesn't use
compression) of somewhere between .8-.9kb/sec.  Not great, but it's
free for Penn State students... (Kind of important for my budget!)
TN3270 does suffer, though!
-----
Daniel R. Jeuch                   Microsoft Corp. Student Rep.
10 Vario Blvd., Box 185           DRJ100@PSUVM, drj100@psuvm.psu.edu
State College, PA  16803          (814) 867-4622, (800) 232-5129