[comp.protocols.tcp-ip] connect: Network is unreachable,

emv@math.lsa.umich.edu (Edward Vielmetti) (10/13/90)

From: emv@math.lsa.umich.edu (Edward Vielmetti)

My site gets a feed of the sub.* and dnet.* newsgroups, which are in
German.  There is a fair amount of interesting stuff discussed in
these groups, and it's a good way to put that high school German to
practice.  More to the point, there is a fair amount of software
developed in Germany which is made available for anonymous FTP, that
is to say stuff available there and nowhere else.

So, when I see in sub.tex that there's an interesting set of TeX
macros to be had from "forwiss.uni-passau.de", my first inclination is
to go and take a look and get them.  And the last thing that I want to
see is "Network is unreachable" with the traceroute stopping at my
local NSS.  It is extremely frustrating, that I can learn about
European internet resources via Usenet, but when I go to connect to
the the NSF backbone blocks my access.

Do any of the USA "commercial" internet service providers provide
access to the European networks which aren't permitted to use the NSF
backbone?  I.e., if my regional network were to get say an Alternet or
PSI connection they could receive the Euro-routes that way and there
would be access.  Or perhaps my regional already has a transatlantic
link, and they could bypass the backbone that way?  One way or another
there has to be a legit way to be "part of" the Euro-internet and not
get blockaded by the NSF.

--Ed

Edward Vielmetti, U of Michigan math dept <emv@math.lsa.umich.edu>
moderator, comp.archives

ps. forwiss.uni-passau.de [132.231.1.10], in /archive/tex/macros/nice20.zoo.
"Jetzt hoffe ich, dass das Makropaket einen groesseren Kreis von Anwendern findet."

In article <EMV.90Oct12224402@josephus.math.lsa.umich.edu> emv@math.lsa.umich.edu (Edward Vielmetti) writes:

   macros to be had from "forwiss.uni-passau.de", my first inclination is
   to go and take a look and get them.  And the last thing that I want to
   see is "Network is unreachable" with the traceroute stopping at my

My local friendly network service trouble desk informs me that the NSFnet
has a request to add this to their routing tables, so I guess you should
tone down some of the rhetoric of the previous message.

nipper@i32fs2.ira.uka.de (Arnold Nipper) (10/13/90)

In article <EMV.90Oct12224402@josephus.math.lsa.umich.edu> emv@math.lsa.umich.edu (Edward Vielmetti) writes:
>From: emv@math.lsa.umich.edu (Edward Vielmetti)
>
>My site gets a feed of the sub.* and dnet.* newsgroups, which are in
>German.  There is a fair amount of interesting stuff discussed in
>these groups, and it's a good way to put that high school German to
>practice.  More to the point, there is a fair amount of software
>developed in Germany which is made available for anonymous FTP, that
>is to say stuff available there and nowhere else.
>
>So, when I see in sub.tex that there's an interesting set of TeX
>macros to be had from "forwiss.uni-passau.de", my first inclination is
>to go and take a look and get them.  And the last thing that I want to
>see is "Network is unreachable" with the traceroute stopping at my
>local NSS.  It is extremely frustrating, that I can learn about
>European internet resources via Usenet, but when I go to connect to
>the the NSF backbone blocks my access.

That's not the right point of view. Obviously U Passau does not want
to have access to the Internet. There are at least four access points
to the Internet in Germany ( via EASInet, DFN, Unido, XLINK ).

>Do any of the USA "commercial" internet service providers provide
>access to the European networks which aren't permitted to use the NSF
>backbone?  I.e., if my regional network were to get say an Alternet or
>PSI connection they could receive the Euro-routes that way and there
>would be access.  Or perhaps my regional already has a transatlantic

XLINK provides access to PSI net for everyone in Germany who wants. But
of course you have to pay for services. :-)

>link, and they could bypass the backbone that way?  One way or another
>there has to be a legit way to be "part of" the Euro-internet and not
>get blockaded by the NSF.
>
>--Ed

Arnold
Arnold Nipper *** Universitaet Karlsruhe, Am Fasanengarten 5 * nipper@ira.uka.de
XLINK, Inst. fuer Betr.- und Dialogsysteme, D-7500 Karlsruhe *  +49 721 608 4331

hwb@MERIT.EDU (Hans-Werner Braun) (10/14/90)

Ed Vielmetti:

Given all your frequent interactions with the Merit/UMnet/NSFNET NOC with
the hope for increased knowledge on your part about how things interact, I
find it regrettable that you have to air your frustrations in public, in
particular given the tone you used. Look, you describe access to a
University, for which in general NSF takes a quite liberal view. If there
is a University in at least a country that the US is friends with, NSF,
to the best of my knowledge, never objected to have them be known to the
NSFNET. With some international sites we need to get concurrance from a
national coordination body, in the case you mentioned, University of Passau in
Germany, we need concurrance from, e.g., DFN as a german national coordination
body. Once we receive a confirmation we need to request permission from
the NSF for each and every international network to be configured. The NSF
confirmation is to protect both NSF as well as Merit. Sometimes, including
in this case, where a network is requested to be configured via multiple NSS
entry points, we also need to confirm the announcements with all the sites a
network should be configured for, to allow for the proper coordination as
well as the proper metric configuration for primary, secondary, etc. paths.
All of this is standard procedure and should not take more than a few days.

If a network is unknown, it has typically either not been requested for
addition to the policy data base or it is not been dynamically announced
at the time you tried by the client network to the NSS where it would be
announced to or there is a time window between a request and the configuration
(which should typically not last for more than a few days and only happen once
until it is configured).

I will attach some relevant messages which show you that you got caught in the
window between request and configuration.

An intelligent approach towards dealing with these kind of issues would be to
communicate with your local provider of campus networking. Generally this
should work fine with most campuses, which then deal with the appropriate
regional network and/or the NSFNET NOC. In your case, as you know, they are
all the same (UMnet + Merit + NSFNET) and you should have been able to get the
information easily. You are otherwise wasting alot of time, effort and
bandwidth.

	Hans-Werner Braun

To: nsfnet-admin@merit.edu
Subject: Network Announcement Change Request
Cc: hostmaster@mcsun.EU.net, hostmaster@germany.eu.net, kaehler@zpl.dfn.dbp.de,
        wilhelm@zpl.dfn.dbp.de, staff@sunic.sunet.se, ops@uunet.uu.net,
        Ruediger Volk <unido!rv@relay.EU.net>
From: hostmaster@mcsun.EU.net
Date: Wed, 10 Oct 90 19:50:39 +0100
Sender: dfk@mcsun.EU.net

Hi,

Please add the following networks to the NSFnet routing database.
All networks are in Germany (no problems with east and west anymore :-).
All of them have ICS sponsored by NSF according to their admins.

Routing is coordinated within RIPE and US connectivity is via
EUnet/Alternet with backup via NORDUnet.

Thank you for your cooperation

Daniel Karrenberg
EUnet/Alternet Routing Contact

        ***** Network Announcement Change Request *****

                          Inbound Announcements        Add/Del
                               to NSFNET              or Change
                          --------------------------- ---------
Network Number/Name       1stAS# 2ndAS# 3rdAS# 4thAS#   A/D/C    Country
-------------------       ------ ------ ------ ------ ---------  -------

130.149 TUB                 701    224    97              A       Germany
132.180 UNIBT-LAN           701    224    97              A       Germany
132.231 UNI-PASSAU          701    224    97              A       Germany
134.100 UNIHH               701    224    97              A       Germany
134.107 MPPMU-LAN           701    224    97              A       Germany
141.1 DFN-WIN1 (ECRCNET)    701    224    97              A       Germany
141.2 DFN-WIN2 (UNI-FFM)    701    224    97              A       Germany
192.54.41 EMBNET            701    224    97              A       Germany

Date: 12 Oct 90 15:47 GMT+0100
From: Martin Wilhelm <wilhelm%zpl.dfn.dbp.de@RELAY.CS.NET>
To: ip-register@MERIT.EDU
Cc: hostmaster%germany.eu.dbp.de@RELAY.CS.NET
Subject: Request for Handling

Sheri,
can you please process the following request of Ruediger Volk ?
All he institutes mentioned below belong to the academia and are members
of the DFN association.

Best regards and thanks a lot

-martin