[comp.protocols.tcp-ip] Reply to Re: Ethernet Address Uniqueness...

fillmore@emrcan.BITNET (10/10/90)

In my recent message about DECNET Ethernet address non-uniqueness I should have
mentioned that my site works in a mixed DECNET - TCP/IP environment (plus
Appletalk, etc.).  Problems arise in VAXes which run both DECNET and TCP/IP
on the same Ethernet interface - the Ethernet address used in ARP responses
depends on whether DECNET was started before or after TCP/IP, because DECNET
changes the Ethernet address in the interface hardware (in RAM memory).
If the TCP/IP software uses the modified DECNET Ethernet address then there
might be address duplication because IP addresses are connection oriented,
not node oriented.
________________________
Bob Fillmore, Systems Software & Communications     BITNET:  FILLMORE@EMRCAN
  Computer Services Centre,                         BIX:     bfillmore
  Energy, Mines, & Resources Canada                 Voice:   (613) 992-2832
  588 Booth St., Ottawa, Ontario, Canada  K1A 0E4   FAX:     (613) 996-2953

jbvb@FTP.COM (James B. Van Bokkelen) (10/10/90)

This is a standard gotcha of using protocols that change the address.
There is no solution other than to make sure that DECNet is always
started before anything else that cares about the Ethernet address.

James B. VanBokkelen		26 Princess St., Wakefield, MA  01880
FTP Software Inc.		voice: (617) 246-0900  fax: (617) 246-0901

vjs@rhyolite.wpd.sgi.com (Vernon Schryver) (10/14/90)

In article <9010092346.AA29384@ftp.com>, jbvb@FTP.COM (James B. Van Bokkelen) writes:
> This is a standard gotcha of using protocols that change the address.
> There is no solution other than to make sure that DECNet is always
> started before anything else that cares about the Ethernet address.

I do not see the problem.  When our DECNET stuff changes the MAC address as
it starts, it tells the ethernet driver to call arpwhohas() again, just
as if the driver were starting from scratch.  The result is that the rest
of the IP network sees nothing stranger than if you had quickly taken your
system down, switched ethernet cards, and rebooted.  The general mechanism
can be encapsulated in an ioctl() so that all media can be wishywashy
about MAC addresses.  Changing ethernet MAC addresses using this ioctl()
works just fine on our systems.  I can't imagine anyone doing less
(for DECNET if not the ioctl()), so I'm sure Sun, DEC, and the other UNIX
DECNET vendors do the same or better.

It is true that bad things happen if you try to start DECNET on two
different boxes with the same node and area numbers, or otherwise try to
share a single MAC address with more than one machine.  However, this is
not much worse than assigning a single IP address to more than host.

Vernon Schryver,   vjs@sgi.com

oberman@rogue.llnl.gov (10/16/90)

In article <9010092346.AA29384@ftp.com>, jbvb@FTP.COM (James B. Van Bokkelen) writes:
> This is a standard gotcha of using protocols that change the address.
> There is no solution other than to make sure that DECNet is always
> started before anything else that cares about the Ethernet address.

This is getting a bit far afield from tcp-ip, but the above is not quite true.
By setting the SYSGEN value for SCSSYSTEMID to the value ((DECnet area*1024) +
node), the order in which products are started in no longer significant as the
MAC address of the Ethernet cards is rewritten before any layered software is
run. 48.168 would yield an SCSSYSTEMID of 49320, (48*1024)+168.

					R. Kevin Oberman
					Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory
					Internet: oberman@icdc.llnl.gov
   					(415) 422-6955

Disclaimer: Don't take this too seriously. I just like to improve my typing
and probably don't really know anything useful about anything.