[comp.protocols.tcp-ip] The network

) (10/16/90)

I have some questions.  This might be better suited to another
group (is there one dedicated to arpa/internet access besides
this one?), but here goes.

     What is the cost of having access to the net (via your
own machine)?

     Somewhere on campus here, we had a Post script formatted
map of the network (showing who is on .mil, and who is on .com
etc etc)...does anyone know where I can find this?

thanks

John

--
   Emporers Thought for the Day:                |       John E. Rudd jr.
Only the insane have the strength to prosper;   |  ccastjr@prism.gatech.edu

warb@faatcrl.UUCP (Dan Warburton) (10/16/90)

ccastjr@prism.gatech.EDU (COOOooOoooooOOOOoOOoOOooKIE!!!!!) writes:

>     What is the cost of having access to the net (via your
>own machine)?

The Answer is: ........... it Depends!!!

It depends mostly on how close the nearest access point is to your computer
and what kind of computer you have and what you purpose for connection is and
and how much bandwitdh to the net you would like. Maybe a couple of examples
might clarify.

Ex. 1  Your network connection is a local machine across the room. Just
       string some ethernet cable across the room. Get the SysAdm to
       assign you a spare internet number and zoom! You are on the net.

Ex. 2 You don't have a campus connection and want a 56k baud connection.
      Start with about 25k in equipment costs, add line connect charges,
      annual rental of line (say 40 miles), add private network gateway cost
      you should end up with 30k startup plus 20k recurring. This IS just
      an example, your milage my vary.

mcc@WLV.IMSD.CONTEL.COM (Merton Campbell Crockett) (10/16/90)

John:

>      Somewhere on campus here, we had a Post script formatted
> map of the network (showing who is on .mil, and who is on .com
> etc etc)...does anyone know where I can find this?

Not particularly germane to your question, but this sounds like an interesting
map.  How is the "class" of the user related to the network to which it is
connected?

Upon which network would I find *.gov, *.mil, *.com, *.edu, *.de, *.au, *.nz,
etc.?  How was this determined?  As a discrete example, on which network
would you find "contel.com"?  (A hint--name all network(s) to which contel.com
is a member--*.gov, *.mil, *.com, etc. doesn't suggest anything accept the
"class" of activity in which the organization is involved.)

Merton

) (10/16/90)

well, there was a horizontal line and off from that broke the basic
networks (.com .mil .gov etc) in vertical directions (some up, some
down).  Each "T" in the network was a further sub net (so, when
the .edu broke off the base line, there were further breakoffs
to .gatech and .mit and .berkeley etc)

I think they put commercial orgs on .com even if they had an additional
 .mil address..  it wasn't meant to be a geographic map (from what I saw)
but a network topology map.

hope that explains it..if I find a copy, I'll send it to you.

John

mcc@WLV.IMSD.CONTEL.COM (Merton Campbell Crockett) (10/17/90)

John:

I like your statements--they follow the party line.  Let me insert a little
reality before you send any maps--actually send the maps, I would like to
take a look at this make believe world.

The point of my interest was that the networks never devolved in the conceptual
outlines that were anticipated years earlier.  There is no *.org, *.gov, *.edu,
or *.com networks.  There is an *.mil network but it incorporates all of the
preceding "classes" of users.  There are regional networks that incorporate
these "classes" of users.  There are no networks, to my knowledge, that are
composed of a single "class" of user.

For example, *.contel.com is a member of several networks.  The membership
is partly historical, it is partly a matter of emphasis, and it is partly
a matter of entry and sponsorship in the ARPA and MILNET domains.  Actually,
one might want to consider the role of acquisition in network membership.
The domain *.imsd.contel.com is a MILNET member, all other *.contel.com domains
are members of SURAnet.

Another example is the *.radc.af.mil domain.  The tops20.radc.af.mil system
is part of NYSERnet.  The lonex.radc.af.mil and subsidiary systems are strictly
a part of MILNET.  One can access the *.radc.af.mil domain either through
NYSERnet or MILNET.

Merton

0004219666@mcimail.com (Bob Stine) (10/17/90)

>The point of my interest was that the networks never devolved in the conceptual
>outlines that were anticipated years earlier.  There is no *.org, *.gov, *.edu,
>or *.com networks...  There is an *.mil network but it incorporates all of the
>preceding "classes" of users.  There are regional networks that incorporate
>these "classes" of users.  There are no networks, to my knowledge, that are
>composed of a single "class" of user.

My understanding on this issue (such as it is :-)  ) is that the name space
is independent from the actual network topology.  E.g., having an "edu"
domain does _NOT_ mean that one should expect to find an education net.

If this thread goes much further, it would probably be more appropriate for
name-droppers.

Bob Stine
Applied Cybernetics, Inc.

> The point of my interest was that the networks never devolved in the conceptual
> outlines that were anticipated years earlier.  There is no *.org, *.gov, *.edu,
> or *.com networks.  There is an *.mil network but it incorporates all of the
> preceding "classes" of users.  There are regional networks that incorporate
> these "classes" of users.  There are no networks, to my knowledge, that are
> composed of a single "class" of user.

Yes, even the milnet has its non-military users.

I guess what I wanted to say, is that the map that John is referring to is
a map of the Domains of the internet.  I remember seeing it once, and it
is strictly a break-out of all the domains registered with the SRI-NIC...

I don't know that that means you can get it from the NIC, however.  I am
sure that I did not get it from the NIC myself.  I also remember that I got
this "map" early this year, and it hadn't been revised since 88.  If
anyone does run across a really current one, I'd be interested in seeing
how well it reflects our af.mil reality (:->

/matt

jonson@server.af.mil
I speak not for my organization.

) (10/18/90)

Sorry if my statements were misleading.  I know that the *.mil and *.edu\
don't denote a PHYSICAL network.. but a "logical" network..
The map is drawn along this "logical" network.

I understood this, but I guess that didn't come across.. sorry.

John

--

oberman@rogue.llnl.gov (10/18/90)

> I don't know that that means you can get it from the NIC, however.  I am
> sure that I did not get it from the NIC myself.  I also remember that I got
> this "map" early this year, and it hadn't been revised since 88.  If
> anyone does run across a really current one, I'd be interested in seeing
> how well it reflects our af.mil reality (:->

The file (in PostScript) is available from nic.ddn.mil. It is
netinfo:domain-chart.ps. It has not been updated since it was created in Sept.
1988. It is quite large and prints about 20 pages as I recall.

					R. Kevin Oberman
					Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory
					Internet: oberman@icdc.llnl.gov
   					(415) 422-6955

Disclaimer: Don't take this too seriously. I just like to improve my typing
and probably don't really know anything useful about anything.