[comp.protocols.tcp-ip] Ethernet Address Uniqueness...

linegar@bwdls49.bnr.ca (Derick Linegar) (10/05/90)

In trying to debug a problem we are having here with our file server with
2 ethernet boards connected to 2 *different* subnets on the same network,
our vendor eluded to us that the 2 ethernet cards assume the *same* Ethernet
address, obtained from the primary ethernet board. Of course, warning bells
are going of here. Now I've been searching the RFC and IEEE docs and I cannot
find any documentation that sort of says that Ethernet Addresses are assigned
to Ethernet boards, not hosts.

Anyone have an idea where it might be. I cannot go back to the vendor and
say

  " .... well everyone *knows* that ethernet addresses *must* be unique..."

				-derick-
--
#include <disclaimer.h>
Derick Linegar,     Internet Systems 4P27,              Bell-Northern Research

leonard@arizona.edu (10/06/90)

In article <5A0A050B012801FE-MTAEMR1*fillmore@emrcan>, fillmore@emrcan.BITNET
writes:
> In the DEC VAX environment the unique Ethernet address on each board is
> overridden by DECNET when it starts to use that board.  The address is set
> to four bytes of a constant value plus two bytes which contain the DECNET
> area and node numbers.  Lots of opportunity for duplication!
> Does anyone know why DEC chose this scheme?

Sure, it saves DECnet having to have an address resolution protocol a la
ARP ... if a DECnet node wants to find the MAC address for a given DECnet
address, it already knows what the address *should* be.

There's a couple of problems with this approach:

1. If you are running different network protocols on the same Ethernet
board, then obviously they can't *all* do this!  I believe that Novell's
IPX similarly hacks the Ethernet address, which (if true) means that DECnet
and IPX can't share the same board.

2. A DECnet node can't have multiple Ethernet interfaces running DECnet on
the same bridge-extended Ethernet.  (Because the bridges will see the
same Ethernet addr on both sides!)  This may seem like a perverse topology
to IP oriented folks, but given DEC's historical MAC layer uber alles
approach, in some situations this can be exactly what you would want.

In DECnet Phase V (due out twelve months from any given point in
time ;-) ), DECnet is supposed to stop resetting the hardware
addresses on its Ethernet adapters, and will presumably adopt some
ARP protocol.

In article <linegar.655064040@bwdls49> linegar@bwdls49.bnr.ca (Derick Linegar) writes:
>our vendor eluded to us that the 2 ethernet cards assume the *same* Ethernet
>address, obtained from the primary ethernet board. Of course, warning bells
>are going of here. Now I've been searching the RFC and IEEE docs and I cannot
>find any documentation that sort of says that Ethernet Addresses are assigned
>to Ethernet boards, not hosts.

This seems to come up fairly often...  The original intent of Ethernet was
quite specifically to assign addresses to hosts, not boards, which is one
reason why Ethernet addresses are required to be programmable instead of
being locked into the boards.  The XNS protocols use Ethernet addresses
as host numbers and *must* have exactly one address per host.

With TCP/IP, the Ethernet addresses are largely invisible to the upper
levels and it doesn't really matter much either way, unless for some
reason you've got two boards on the same network (in which case you will
have other problems...).
--
Imagine life with OS/360 the standard  | Henry Spencer at U of Toronto Zoology
operating system.  Now think about X.  |  henry@zoo.toronto.edu   utzoo!henry

bruce@balilly.UUCP (Bruce Lilly) (10/11/90)

In article <linegar.655064040@bwdls49> linegar@bwdls49.bnr.ca (Derick Linegar) writes:

>[ ... ]
> Now I've been searching the RFC and IEEE docs and I cannot
>find any documentation that sort of says that Ethernet Addresses are assigned
>to Ethernet boards, not hosts.
>
>Anyone have an idea where it might be. I cannot go back to the vendor and
>say
>
>  " .... well everyone *knows* that ethernet addresses *must* be unique..."

``For information on global (U) address administration contact the
Secretary, IEEE Standards Board, 345 East 47 Street, New York, NY 10017.''

(Footnote on page 26 of ANSI/IEEE Standard 802.3-1985  ISO/DIS 8802/3)

My recollection is that each manufacturer is assigned a group of addresses
and is expected to make the hardware address unique for each interface.
As has been pointed out (for the specific case of DECnet) it is also
possible to override the hardware address via software, and that may be a
part of your problem.

The IEEE Secretary ought to be able to clarify this situation, and may be
able to tell you what range of addresses are assigned to your particular
vendor.

Late flash: after checking several references, I found:

``14.4.2 Ethernet addresses

Host computers on Ethernet are identified by two addresses, the Ethernet
address (a 48-bit hardware address) and an IP or software address.
Ethernet addresses are guaranteed unique because vendors building Ethernet
interfaces have a set of addresses assigned to them. The IEEE Standards
Board in New York City assigns the first 24 bits to a manufacturer, which
then allocates the last 24 bits sequentially.  The address is either built
into the interface board or stored in ROM on the board.''

(From _UNIX(R)_System_Administration_Handbook_ by Nemeth, Snyder, and
Seebass, published by Prentice-Hall, p. 243) An excellent book, by the
way, although it is heavily biased toward BSD.

Note however that the IEEE standard permits either 16-bit or 48-bit
addresses, so don't take that too literally.

Hope this helps.
--
	Bruce Lilly		blilly!balilly!bruce@sonyd1.Broadcast.Sony.COM

stanonik@NPRDC.NAVY.MIL (Ron Stanonik) (10/12/90)

The 10base5 NI cards in our AT&T 3b2's were all delivered with
the same ethernet address.  This was a big surprise, because we
too had come to expect manufacturer's would assign unique addresses.
The similar ethernet addresses didn't cause any problems because
the IP layer in each machine filtered out only those packets destined
for the local machine.  Everyone ARP'ed to the same ethernet address.
Sort of like multicasting (unicasting?).  We didn't realize what was
happening until packet tracing to find an unrelated problem.  We've
since found an undocumented command which allows setting the ethernet
address and the machines now all have unique ethernet addresses.

Ron Stanonik
stanonik@nprdc.navy.mil

donp@na.excelan.com (don provan) (10/13/90)

In article <1990Oct5.123350.145@arizona.edu> leonard@arizona.edu writes:
>I believe that Novell's IPX similarly hacks the Ethernet address....

This has nothing to do with TCP-IP, but i don't want this rumor to
spread.  IPX does not modify the ethernet address.
							don provan
							donp@novell.com

In article <9010121633.AA00795@atlantic.nprdc.navy.mil> stanonik@nprdc.navy.mil writes:
>The 10base5 NI cards in our AT&T 3b2's were all delivered with
>the same ethernet address...

AT&T has probably been bitten by a problem that has affected a number of
established companies when they tried to build Ethernet gear:  traditional
production facilities have a very strong mindset towards building utterly
identical boxes, and the only thing they are set up to do with PROMs is to
duplicate them.  If you simply hand them the new design and tell them to
build it, the odds are very good that you will get identical Ethernet
addresses, even if it says in the fine print that they should be different.
And testing the new boards one at a time won't catch it!
--
"...the i860 is a wonderful source     | Henry Spencer at U of Toronto Zoology
of thesis topics."    --Preston Briggs |  henry@zoo.toronto.edu   utzoo!henry

peter@ria.ccs.uwo.ca (Peter Marshall) (10/19/90)

In article <2126@excelan.COM>, donp@na.excelan.com (don provan) writes:
|> In article <1990Oct5.123350.145@arizona.edu> leonard@arizona.edu writes:
|> >I believe that Novell's IPX similarly hacks the Ethernet address....
|>
|> This has nothing to do with TCP-IP, but i don't want this rumor to
|> spread.  IPX does not modify the ethernet address.

While DECnet IV wants to change the ethernet number to match the DECnet node
and host number, IPX only requires the same ethernet number to be used on all
interfaces to a machine.  It doesn't care what they are set to.  This allows
DECnet and IPX to  coexist on the same router as long as you get the DECnet
running first and then start the IPX.

--
Peter Marshall, Manager (Academic Networking)
CCS, NSC, U. of Western Ontario, London, Canada N6A 5B7 (519)661-2111x6032

xjeldc@tts.lth.se (Jan Engvald) (10/20/90)

>While DECnet IV wants to change the ethernet number to match the DECnet node
>and host number, IPX only requires the same ethernet number to be used on all
>interfaces to a machine.  It doesn't care what they are set to.  This allows
>DECnet and IPX to  coexist on the same router as long as you get the DECnet
>running first and then start the IPX.

No, NO. *NOVELL* IPX routers/servers don't change the Ethernet address
of any interface card (*).

We have several servers with two Ethernet cards. One card uses type
8137 protocoll and the other Novells ISO-like protocoll. Both are
connected to the *SAME* Ethernet segment, and if they used the same
Ethernet address it would mean disaster.

Looking with an Ethernet monitor you can see that at the link layer
each card uses its own address that it was born with. However, at the
network layer Novell IPX uses 32 bits of network id + 48 bits node id,
and the node id is the Ethernet address of the first (LAN A) card.

(*) The Cisco router, for some reason I don't understand, say they
    do change the adress of its interfaces when Novell IPX routing
    is turned on.

Jan Engvald, Lund University Computing Center
   Address: Box 783                E-mail: xjeldc@ldc.lu.se
            S-220 07 LUND     Earn/Bitnet: xjeldc@seldc52
            SWEDEN           (Span/Hepnet: Sweden::Gemini::xjeldc)
    Office: Soelvegatan 18         VAXPSI: psi%2403732202020::xjeldc
 Telephone: +46 46 107458          (X.400: C=se; A=TeDe; P=Sunet; O=lu;
   Telefax: +46 46 138225                  OU=ldc; S=Engvald; G=Jan)
     Telex: 33533 LUNIVER S