[comp.protocols.tcp-ip] Reliable Datagram Protocol

tmallory@BBN.COM (10/20/90)

I've didn't save the original message because I felt sure someone would
chip in the following:

from rfc-index.txt.1174:
1151  Partridge, C.; Hinden, R.M.  Version 2 of the Reliable Data Protocol
      (RDP).  1990 April; 4 p. (Format: TXT=8293 bytes)  (Updates RFC 908)

This is really an addendum to RFC 908, which must also be retrieved.

[the first name for this protocol WAS Reliable Datagram Protocol]

Not that you will find this widely implemented, but it surely ought to be
mentioned given the original request.

Tracy

craig@bbn.com (Craig Partridge) (10/21/90)

In article <9010201341.AA18699@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU> tmallory@BBN.COM writes:
>from rfc-index.txt.1174:
>1151  Partridge, C.; Hinden, R.M.  Version 2 of the Reliable Data Protocol
>      (RDP).  1990 April; 4 p. (Format: TXT=8293 bytes)  (Updates RFC 908)
>
>[the first name for this protocol WAS Reliable Datagram Protocol]

A quick comment on RDP -- there's considerable misunderstanding about
what RDP is and is not.

When people ask for a reliable datagram protocol (and before Jon Postel
jumps on me, yes Jon, I know it is an oxymoron) what they typically
mean is a transaction protocol -- a protocol that allows them to exchange
data units reliably with multiple remote systems.  A sort of reliable
version of UDP.

RDP should be viewed as a record-oriented TCP.  I.e. RDP uses connections,
and transmits a reliable stream of delimited data.  It is not a transaction
protocol.

Craig