[comp.protocols.tcp-ip] SNMP monitors

Steven_Carmody@BROWN.EDU (10/18/90)

WeUre in the process of looking at SNMP based monitors, and expect to use
one to monitor gateways and services in the campus network. ThereUs a
discussion starting in this digest which seems headed toward developing a
RscorecardS comparing many of the currently available products. I think
everyone will benefit if the community creates a such a yardstick. However,
in an interest in getting our site moving, and at the great risk of
oversimplification, IUd like to get a sense of whatUs out there. So far, I
can see three groups of products: 1) the PC-based monitors (wollongong, the
recently announced novell one, etc), 2) the NyserNet/PSI monitor, and 3) a
large number of commercially available, UNIX based monitors (often from
router vendors). IUve separated 2 and 3 because the NyserNet package is
available to universities for approximately 1/10 the cost of the packages
in category 3.

The question is -- are there any generalizations which can be made about
each of the categories? can the PC-based packages handle a large campus
sized network? are there major problems with the NyserNet monitor that the
packages in category 3 have corrected? Any info and experiences would be
appreciated.

kwe@buit13.bu.edu (Kent England) (10/19/90)

In article <9010181639.AA14322@po.cis.brown.edu>
 Steven_Carmody@BROWN.EDU writes:

>... I'd like to get a sense of what's out there. So far, I
>can see three groups of products: 1) the PC-based monitors (wollongong, the
>recently announced novell one, etc), 2) the NyserNet/PSI monitor, and 3) a
>large number of commercially available, UNIX based monitors (often from
>router vendors)...
>
>The question is -- are there any generalizations which can be made about
>each of the categories?

	I can generalize.  :-)

1)	I don't like PC based packages because I need workstation
power and multitasking.  You will need multitasking and virtual memory
to do good fault management and data gathering.  Of course, you could
use a pile of PCs.  And I do understand the need for a low end PC
package for smallish PC networks.  So I would say they are OK for
small nets with unsophisticated tool requirements, but not suitable
for largish nets.

	The Proteon Overview PC tool is pretty good, even in its
earliest release, with which I am most familiar.

2)	The NYSERnet stuff is still pretty good in comparison to other
software, and that is disappointing.  It indicates that the
development of tools has stalled or gotten sidetracked.  Some points
of interest:

3)	Fancy graphics.  Migrating from an early X window environment
to Motif doesn't buy the network manager a lot.  This has distracted
developers excessively.  But Motif is very pretty; witness the
Cabletron displays.  Nice pastels, shadows, pictures, etc.  Value?  To
be determined.  The people running the InterOp show network used ping
and traceroute a lot, but then they may be old fashioned.  :-)

	Databases.  A database is an important feature of an advanced
network management fault monitor and data gatherer.  Early
implementations fall short in the ease of use category.  We need some
database interfaces that match the window environment more closely.

	Configuration.  It is very difficult to adopt or change a tool
in a large network if the tool does not help the network manager
configure the tool.  This is one area where the NYSERnet tool is just
awful, requiring the same data to be entered multiple times
consistently in the snmpxmon.cf file.  Dynamic configuration of
commercial products is on the drawing board in the tools I have
examined closely, but is not available in a production release.

	Data gathering and interpretation.  This area has been
entirely neglected in the tools I have seen.  Data gathering and
analysis should be database driven.  Report generators should be
supplied and should be customizable.  The database must be accessible
outside the network management tool.  The database must be custom
extensible to deal with such local issues as inventory and cost
accounting.  There should be utilities for automagic aging and
compression of performance data timelines, reducing the demand for
disk space growth and easing back-up and archiving.  No one is
addressing these issues, in the tools I have examined.  NYSERnet is
still as good as any of the other tools, which is disappointing.

	One reason I think that progress is disappointing is that the
network management market is limited.  Developers are getting enamored
of the "Distributed Computing Environment Management".  I have heard
more than one developer talk about stuffing every conceivable variable
and extension into the MIB for managing PCs, workstations, and servers
and this is a distraction away from the purely Network Management
needs of largish networks.  However, I understand that tools for DCE
management are useful.  Sun's tool is interesting.  If it saves
sysadmin time, it's a good thing.  DCE management tools have a wider
market than purely NM tools.  But DCE management is more embryonic
than NM, so I would rather see some vendors concentrate on solving NM
problems before turning to DCEM.  They could learn from us.

	One bright note: Cabletron's Network Virtual Machine and
object oriented development environment are powerful architectural
elements of next generation tools.  The NVM can scale well, and holds
out some hope of unified Internet management (if such could happen
politically and organizationally and could be standardized for
interoperability).  The OOP model in the Cabletron Spectrum tool is an
apparently powerful technique for allowing user customization and for
MIB and device tracking.  I think object oriented techniques will
prove very useful in managing development of sophisticated NM tools,
but that is just my embryonic gut feel; it has yet to be demonstrated.

	--Kent

fin@UNET.UNET.UMN.EDU ("Craig A. Finseth") (10/26/90)

   I do realize  that an overloaded  router should be  addressed, but  if
   SNMP  could  gaurantee me a  reply if a router  was UP  and doing  its
   primary funtion, I would stop  using ping to  monitor our routers  and
   pay *serious* attention to snmp based  monitoring programs, as opposed
   to *saying* I use   SNMP to prove  that  I  am  in sync with   the new
   technologies that exist.

   That is to say, is there  someone out  there who relies *only* on SNMP
   to monitor the net ? Or will  'ping' be used as  a monitoring tool for
   the rest of IP's life ?

I see no reason why it is desirable to stop using ping (or, more
precisely, the ICMP Echo mechanism).  Most checking just wants to know
"are you there" and the ICMP Echo mechanism does that with much less
overhead than SNMP ever could.

For example, the network monitoring here at the U uses ICMP Echo for
most checking, reserving SNMP for those "higher level" tasks such as
checking routing tables and interface configurations.  The software
also knows not to perform the higher level checks unless the device is
known to be up.  (It also knows not to check hosts behind a down
router, but that is not related to SNMP).

Craig A. Finseth			fin@unet.umn.edu [CAF13]
University Networking Services		+1 612 624 3375 desk
University of Minnesota			+1 612 625 0006 problems
130 Lind Hall, 207 Church St SE		+1 612 626 1002 FAX
Minneapolis MN 55455-0134, U.S.A.

cpw%snow-white@LANL.GOV (C. Philip Wood) (10/26/90)

UP WITH ICMP!

SNMP is not enough.  What good is SNMP if the nodes on a network
do not support it.  And why should they.  They were on the net
before SNMP was a gleam in some relational database guru's eyes.

ICMP offers a lot more than SNMP cause it's there and SNMP is not.

I'm a raving supporter of TRACEROUTE and PING!  Five years from now
I'll switch to SNMP or something like it.   Hmmm, is that five or ten
years from now?  I forget.

Phil

PS:  I actually brought up some snmp stuff.  And for the nodes on
the network that support it, cisco router's, a couple of UNIX
machines running PSI stuff, and Multinet on VMS,  it's hunkydory!

pushp@CERF.NET (Pushpendra Mohta) (10/26/90)

>>as near as i can tell, and no one has come out and said this, but it seems
>>to be an undercurrent in alot of people's minds, is that SNMP is enough, and
>>ping is somehow dirty, and shouldnt be used.  (*geesh*)

And not to mention the fact that only traceroute and ping will work
when debugging problems with boxes you dont know the SNMP community
names of ...

--pushpendra
CERFnet

kasten@europa.interlan.COM (Frank Kastenholz) (10/26/90)

 > From snmp-ok-forw@nisc.psi.net Thu Oct 25 20:44:29 1990
 > From: aggarwal@nisc.jvnc.net (Vikas Aggarwal)
 > To: stev@ftp.COM, stewart@xyplex.COM
 > Subject: Re: [swrinde!zaphod.mps.ohio-state.edu!samsung!xylogics!bu.edu!buit13!kwe@ucsd.edu: Re: SNMP monitors]
 > Cc: snmp@nisc.nyser.net, tcp-ip@nic.ddn.mil
 >
 > >> SNMP was not used as much as it could have been for one simple reason. no
 > >> matter what people tell you, the tools currently on the market are not easy
 > >> to use.
 >
 > Another fact is that systems supporting SNMP do not consider snmp as a
 > high priority task- as a result I have  routers that do not respond to

To all of those box builders (including Racal Interlan :-)

To structure your in-box priorities in such a way as to make management
(and, for bridges and routers, Spanning tree and your routing protocols)
run at a lower priority than the "main" purpose of the box (e.g.
forwarding packets for bridges/routers) is ABSOLUTELY BASS ACKWARDSLY
WRONG. As Vikas described in his memo - when a network starts to depart
for the Twinkie zone, the bridge/router may spend absolutely 100% of
its time bridging/routing. Regardless of the efficiency of the network
management protocol and it underlying transport, the NM packets
will not be processed by the box. The manager will not be able to
find out what's wrong, nor will s/he be able to take effective
action (similarly for bridges - if the max out at 100% doing bridging,
then spanning tree packets get ignored and the spanning tree
algorithm breaks and you may wind up with loops in the net, meaning
that offered load will increase - can you say melt down?)

When everything else is going completely bonkers, NM, etc,
MUST WORK. One of the reasons that NM protocols and agent load
must be kept small is to reduce the amount of work that the
box must do at this highest priority.

Now, I hear the masses crying out - "I don't want NM to be highest
priority - then anybody with a network management station can
bring a box to its knees". Well, I hate to say this but, if
someone has an NM station, they can do this anyway (set ifOperStatus.*
to down). Besides which, this is not a problem of network management,
this is a problem of security. If you have unauthorised people doing NM
on your network, then you have a security problem, NOT a NM protocol problem.

Btw, this is not just smoke, this is heat and light. Here at Interlan,
we learned the hard way that what I've just said is true. During development
of our bridges, under heavy load, our bridges would lock up from a NM/Spanning
Tree point of view.  NM said the bridges were down. For the "working" bridges,
spanning tree indicated that those bridges failed. Yet there they were,
forwarding packets..... In fact, sometimes they would lock up so hard
that even the local console would stop working. The only way we had of solving
the problems was to partition the network until things got better.

Cheers
Frank Kastenholz
Racal Interlan

kwe@buit13.bu.edu (Kent England) (10/27/90)

In article <9010251553.AA02760@nisc.jvnc.net>
 aggarwal@NISC.JVNC.NET (Vikas Aggarwal) writes:

>Another fact is that systems supporting SNMP do not consider snmp as a
>high priority task- as a result I have  routers that do not respond to
>SNMP  is they are busy passing  traffic. As a  consequence, during the
>better parts of  most afternoons, I would  have sites change status to
>"unknown" or "down" all the time because the routers would not respond
>to SNMP.

	SNMP should be given higher priority as ICMP usually is, but
that does not guarantee that CPU utilization will be requested by the
network management station.  Perhaps you are lucky that your routers
are telling you something you need to know that you otherwise would
not ask.  Even though you are unable to get your routers to respond to
SNMP queries, this situation is indirectly giving you network
management information that you could use.

	Go forth and upgrade your router CPUs and add memory or go get
skinnier pipes for your overwrought routers.

	--Kent

salzman@NMS.HLS.COM (Mike Salzman) (10/27/90)

Several messages have recently flamed SNMP, perhaps as a reaction
to or byproduct of the Marshall and Karl debate society.  The comments
are incongruous since both ICMP and SNMP and other techniques have
a role to play in the process of installing, monitoring, maintaining,
testing and diagnosing a network.

Although SNMP is a relatively recent development, and is a popular
protocol targeted at network management applications, its developers
never claimed that it should replace all other techniques and
applications.  It also does not address all network managment
issues.  The flavor of universal ompnipotence and the consequent
exclusion of all other methods, techniques and applications is
a byproduct of simplistic jounalistic reporting that afflicts our
industry, and of marketing hype.

SNMP is intended to manage operational networks.  The fact that
a router between manager X and device Y has failed does not preclude
the manager station from using out-of-band (i.e. non ethernet)
transmission channels to reach device Y.  The lack of robustness
is to a large extent an application design shortcoming, not an
attribute of the protocol.

The layering of the protocol in its most popular incarnation (over
UDP) is also not an inherent aspect of the protocol, although it
is highly recommended.  Poor network design may have as much to do
with preventing the operation of SNMP 'links' to managed devices, as
does the depedence on IP.

Clearly, however, it is necessary to use tools other than and in addition
to SNMP to bring up the network.  These include Ping.  At a higher layer, it
may be necessary to use PING-LIKE techniques to bounce data from EIA ports
for example.  Here again SNMP is not directly applicable.

The conclusions are:

	1. SNMP is a useful, interoperable protocol
	2. It is not the sole and universal protocol
	3. SNMP is not a replacement for well thought out, practical
	   management applications  -- it is an application tool
	4. Poor design of network facilities and fallback routes is
	   not an attribute of the protocol.

Michael M. Salzman  Voice (415) 966-7479  Fax (415)960-3738
Hughes Lan Systems  1225 Charleston Road   Mt View Ca 94043