[comp.protocols.tcp-ip] How can you tell when too many ethernet collisions are occuring?

booloo@lll-crg.llnl.gov (Mark Boolootian) (10/27/90)

Does anyone have any information (or can you point me at some) regarding the
number of expected ethernet collisions given some network utilization.  I can
well imagine one needs to consider (the distribution of) frame size and access
patterns.  I'm interested in knowing when the number of collisions occuring is
excessive.

Any info is appreciated.  Thanks.
mb

booloo@lll-crg.llnl.gov

cmaeda@EXXON-VALDEZ.FT.CS.CMU.EDU (Christopher Maeda) (10/27/90)

Roy Maxion did a paper on this in the last Fault Tolerant Computing
Conference (FTCS-20).  Basically, he keeps a vector of expected values
for collisions (also load, packet counts, etc) for each monitoring
epoch (currently 1 minute).  Newly observed data is compared with the
expected values and alarms are triggered if the values are not
consistent with expectations.  Note that the meaning of "consistent
with expectations" is a topic of current research.  One heuristic is
if the number of collisions is 3 stds above the mean.  The models are
also updated to take new observations into account using a kind of
exponential regression

Chris

ps:

Maxion, Roy A., Anomaly Detection for Diagnosis.  In 20th
International Symposium on Fault-Tolerant Computing (FTCS20),
(1990) 20-27.

vjs@rhyolite.wpd.sgi.com (Vernon Schryver) (10/28/90)

In article <9010271814.AA17575@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU>, cmaeda@EXXON-VALDEZ.FT.CS.CMU.EDU (Christopher Maeda) writes:
> Roy Maxion did a paper on this in the last Fault Tolerant Computing
> Conference (FTCS-20).  Basically, he keeps a vector of expected values
> for collisions (also load, packet counts, etc) ...

This work is interesting for detecting anomalies like suddenly broken
hardware, but how do you know if your net is "normally" overloaded?  If you
have 90% collisions every day between 10 am and 4 pm, the envelope/standard
deviation calculation will tell you that everything is just peachy.

We've been using a rule of thumb that says if more than 30% of an active
station's packets collide, it is time to split the network.  That is, does
it make sense to say things are bad if the quotient of the "Opkts" and
"Coll" columns of netstat are >= .3, provided Opkts>100,000?  Ethernets
that met this criterion here have been painfully slow.

(Yes, rather BSD-network-UNIX oriented.  Sorry.)

Vernon Schryver,    vjs@sgi.com