[comp.protocols.tcp-ip] DECnet & IPX

imp@jhereg.osa.com (Charles T. Lukaszewski) (10/25/90)

In article <1990Oct19.120616@ria.ccs.uwo.ca> peter@ria.ccs.uwo.ca writes:
>While DECnet IV wants to change the ethernet number to match the DECnet node
>and host number, IPX only requires the same ethernet number to be used on all
>interfaces to a machine.  It doesn't care what they are set to.  This allows
>DECnet and IPX to  coexist on the same router as long as you get the DECnet
>running first and then start the IPX.

This is correct, but does not guarantee coexistence.  Remember that all VAX
Ethernet controllers are Version 2 devices, NOT 802.3 devices.  Netware, on
the other hand, DEFAULTS to 802.3 operation.  While you can certainly run
both protocols simultaneously on the same cable, if you want to gateway the
two environments, you have to backpatch the IPX card drivers with a utility
called 'econfig.'  Basically, econfig allows you to select whether you want
your Novell net to run using Ethernet Version 2 (type field IPX=8037) or
802.3 (length field).

This gets at a topology issue, because to avoid losing sight of your servers,
you need to econfig every station on a given subnetwork.  A quicker solution
may be to put DEC devices on their own net hanging from a Netware server,
and simply econfig just the card in the server.  The Netware server, acting
as a bridge, will deal with the differences internally.

Charles T. Lukaszewski            imp@osa.com                      612 525-0000
Managing Partner & Chairman                       Open Systems Architects, Inc.
 "Who needs a disclaimer? I liked the opinions so much, I bought the company!"

dougm@ICO.ISC.COM ("Doug McCallum") (10/28/90)

-------
> This is correct, but does not guarantee coexistence.  Remember that all VAX
> Ethernet controllers are Version 2 devices, NOT 802.3 devices.  Netware, on
> the other hand, DEFAULTS to 802.3 operation.  While you can certainly run
> both protocols simultaneously on the same cable, if you want to gateway the
> two environments, you have to backpatch the IPX card drivers with a utility
> called 'econfig.'  Basically, econfig allows you to select whether you want
> your Novell net to run using Ethernet Version 2 (type field IPX=8037) or
> 802.3 (length field).

Actually, what Novell calls 802.3 is not quite what the rest of the world
thinks of as 802.3.  Novell is 802.3 at the MAC level and used the 802.3
length field.  They do not then use an 802.2 LLC layer as the rest of the
world does and thus frequently cannot coexist on a true 802.3 based LAN.

In any mixed environment, it would probably be best to econfig all the
Netware systems anyway since there are systems that have problems dealing
with the Novell broadcast packets that also appear to have both LSAP values
(destination and source) being the broadcast SAP.

Its too bad Novell chose to implement something that almost follows the IEEE
standards rather than doing the nearly trivial additional work to do it
"right".

Doug McCallum
dougm@ico.isc.com

chuck@hls.com (Chuck Maricle) (10/30/90)