[comp.protocols.tcp-ip] Packet Driver for PRONET

702WFG@SCRVMSYS.BITNET (bill gunshannon) (10/30/90)

Does anyone know the whereabouts of a packet driver that would let me run
TCPIP over PRONET with Proteon's cards??

bill

                                          bill gunshannon
                                       702WFG@SCRVMSYS.BITNET

jbvb@FTP.COM (James B. Van Bokkelen) (10/31/90)

    Does anyone know the whereabouts of a packet driver that would let me run
    TCPIP over PRONET with Proteon's cards??

To my knowlege, there have never been any Class 2 (ProNET-10) packet drivers.
Given that at least PC-IP and NCSA support the basic packet formats, it
wouldn't be hard to do one, but you'd probably want Netware support too...

James B. VanBokkelen		26 Princess St., Wakefield, MA  01880
FTP Software Inc.		voice: (617) 246-0900  fax: (617) 246-0901

In article <9010300553.AA25380@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU> 702WFG@SCRVMSYS.BITNET (bill gunshannon) writes:

   Does anyone know the whereabouts of a packet driver that would let me run
   TCPIP over PRONET with Proteon's cards??

As far as I know, there is no packet driver for any Proteon cards, nor is
anyone working on one.

--
--russ (nelson@clutx [.bitnet | .clarkson.edu])  FAX 315-268-7600
It's better to get mugged than to live a life of fear -- Freeman Dyson

erick@sunee.waterloo.edu (Erick Engelke) (11/01/90)

In article <9010301647.AA01687@ftp.com> jbvb@ftp.com writes:

>>    Does anyone know the whereabouts of a packet driver that would let me run
>>    TCPIP over PRONET with Proteon's cards??
>>
>To my knowlege, there have never been any Class 2 (ProNET-10) packet drivers.
>Given that at least PC-IP and NCSA support the basic packet formats, it
>wouldn't be hard to do one, but you'd probably want Netware support too...

We run a big proNET 10 system with about 20 interconnected token rings.
We found the most useful solution was to make a packet driver which
fully emulates the Ethernet card.  Other than multicasts, this is actually
quite easy.  This allows us to use PC-IP, NCSA, etc. in the mode they were
written and tested in-Ethernet mode.  Unfortunately, our driver must also
handle our local routing, network card demultiplexing, etc., so it is
not particularly useful for you.  If you are interested in doing the
work yourself, I could mail you some tips.

Erick
Network Systems Manager
Faculty of Engineering
University of Waterloo