[comp.protocols.tcp-ip] Definitive TCP, IP, UDP

zweig@cs.uiuc.edu (Johnny Zweig) (11/06/90)

If I wanted the definitive word on what TCP is, for example, I imagine I could
slog through the list of RFCs and figure out what obsoletes what, print out
all the ones that seem relevant and scratch my head.  Is there a document out
there (say an RFC in preparation) that describes exactly how all parts of the
protocol work (RTT calculations, options, etc.)? How about for IP and UDP?

-Johnny TCP

bzs@world.std.com (Barry Shein) (11/06/90)

>If I wanted the definitive word on what TCP is, for example, I imagine I could
>slog through the list of RFCs and figure out what obsoletes what, print out
>all the ones that seem relevant and scratch my head.  Is there a document out
>there (say an RFC in preparation) that describes exactly how all parts of the
>protocol work (RTT calculations, options, etc.)? How about for IP and UDP?

Sounds like you want Doug Comer's textbook, "Internetworking with
TCP/IP", Prentice-Hall. Should be available at any college bookstore.

--
        -Barry Shein

Software Tool & Die    | {xylogics,uunet}!world!bzs | bzs@world.std.com

kasten@europa.interlan.COM (Frank Kastenholz) (11/07/90)

 > From tcp-ip-RELAY@NIC.DDN.MIL Tue Nov  6 18:26:40 1990
 > From: att!linac!pacific.mps.ohio-state.edu!zaphod.mps.ohio-state.edu!julius.cs.uiuc.edu!zweig@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU  (Johnny Zweig)
 > Subject: Definitive TCP, IP, UDP
 > Sender: tcp-ip-relay@nic.ddn.mil
 > To: tcp-ip@nic.ddn.mil
 >
 > If I wanted the definitive word on what TCP is, for example, I imagine I could
 > slog through the list of RFCs and figure out what obsoletes what, print out
 > all the ones that seem relevant and scratch my head.  Is there a document out
 > there (say an RFC in preparation) that describes exactly how all parts of the
 > protocol work (RTT calculations, options, etc.)? How about for IP and UDP?
 >
 > -Johnny TCP

Johnny TCP,

You might wish to start with the host requirements RFCs - 1122/23(?).
                  ^^^^^

Frank Kastenholz
Racal Interlan

In article <BZS.90Nov6100729@world.std.com> bzs@world.std.com (Barry Shein) writes:
>>...  Is there a document out
>>there (say an RFC in preparation) that describes exactly how all parts of the
>>protocol work (RTT calculations, options, etc.)? How about for IP and UDP?
>
>Sounds like you want Doug Comer's textbook, "Internetworking with
>TCP/IP", Prentice-Hall. Should be available at any college bookstore.

Uh, Barry, had a hard night last night? :-)  Comer is a good textbook, but
it is not in any way, shape, or form the sort of reference manual that he
is asking for.  Too many things are alluded to but not discussed.  (I've
heard there is a second edition, which may have improved the situation,
but I'd still be surprised if it was what he's after.)  It doesn't even
discuss the details of closing a TCP connection, for example.

As far as I know, there is no substitute for wading through lots of RFCs.
The Host Requirements and Protocol Standards ones are the places to start.
--
"I don't *want* to be normal!"         | Henry Spencer at U of Toronto Zoology
"Not to worry."                        |  henry@zoo.toronto.edu   utzoo!henry