[comp.protocols.tcp-ip] 3270 TELNET client

dhuber@aut.UUCP (Daniel Huber) (11/06/90)

I'm searching for a TELNET client software which emulates IBM 3270.

I know there is a PD tn3270 package somewhere in an archive.
I'm also able to get it, but before I ask somebody to download it for me,
I have some questions.
I try to connect our CAD environment (based on HP9000/3xx, 835) and the
engineering environment (based on Sun) to our AS/400 (OS/400).
IBM's AS/400 has a TCP/IP solution which supports FTP, TELNET etc.
The TELNET server (also the client) on the IBM only supports ASCII
streams, 3270 or 5250. For our applications we need at least the 3270
emulation.
As I understand, the TELNET client must support 3270 emulation. In fact,
the AS/400 expect a 3270 controller (I'm not sure about this) so the
client has to simulate that.
The user himself use his terminal as a 3270 terminal (with a quite
different keyboard :-)  ).

Questions:

	- Does tn3270 have all this features I need ?
	- Is there another product available (as tn3270) ?
	- Is tn3270 usefull (speed, performance, keyboardmapping...) ?
	- Does tn3270 work with AS/400 TCP/IP (not only with VM/CMS) ?
	- Does tn3270 work with X-Windows(Openlook and Motif), Sunview
	  and ASCII Terminals ?
	- Is tn3270 also usefull over 9600 Baud Modem ?
	  (Terminal->modem->UNIX->tcpip->AS/400)
	- Native language support ?

Thanks for all answers. (Do I get any ?)    :-)

Daniel

--
Daniel Huber		Tel.	+41 31 52 96 64
Ascom Autelca		Fax.	+41 31 52 53 01

jbvb@FTP.COM (James B. Van Bokkelen) (11/07/90)

    IBM's AS/400 has a TCP/IP solution which supports FTP, TELNET etc.
    The TELNET server (also the client) on the IBM only supports ASCII
    streams, 3270 or 5250. For our applications we need at least the 3270
    emulation.

I have heard rumors about the "TN5250" support being developed, but no
standard has been published and for the moment it must be viewed as IBM
proprietary (anyone from IBM want to comment or publish?).

            - Does tn3270 have all this features I need ?
            - Is tn3270 usefull (speed, performance, keyboardmapping...) ?

That's hard to say: TN3270 does its best to make the terminal on your desk
into a 327x device connected to the mainframe via co-ax.  How well it
succeeds depends on how well your terminal can be mapped to the specific
model of 327x your application expects.  A PC with the proper display adapter
can do quite well for all kinds of 3278, and some varieties of 3279.  3179G
is possible, too (talk to Mitek for that).  Minshall's Unix TN3270 has a much
harder job, in that it doesn't have a directly-addressable display and has to
use curses and a keyboard-remapping scheme to transform random asynch Ascii
terminals.  Basic 3278-2 isn't too bad, but things like screen painting tend
to be slow...

            - Does tn3270 work with AS/400 TCP/IP (not only with VM/CMS) ?

Don't know, even about our own DOS product.  I haven't yet heard of an
AS/400 on the Internet that we could test against (any volunteers?).
Either there would have to be something on the AS/400 which translated a
5250 data stram into a 3270 data stream, or you'd need AS/400 applications
which understood 3270s.

            - Does tn3270 work with X-Windows(Openlook and Motif), Sunview
              and ASCII Terminals ?

The curses output can be sent to a terminal emulator running in a window.
It won't be too quick, but it works.  I don't know of anyone who has re-hacked
it to bypass curses and the emulator, but it could certainly be done, at the
cost of marrying it to a particular environment.

            - Is tn3270 also usefull over 9600 Baud Modem ?
              (Terminal->modem->UNIX->tcpip->AS/400)

I've used it that way.  Reading or writing the whole screen will be slow,
so watch out for applications for which this is a way of life...

            - Native language support ?

Our DOS product has a user-loadable Ascii-EBCDIC translation table, and
the screen and keyboard can be re-mapped.  Minshall's original version
would have to be customized in the source.  I don't know what other
vendors have done.

James B. VanBokkelen		26 Princess St., Wakefield, MA  01880
FTP Software Inc.		voice: (617) 246-0900  fax: (617) 246-0901

CJS@psuvm.psu.edu (11/09/90)

In article <9011071458.AA25335@ftp.com>, jbvb@FTP.COM (James B. Van Bokkelen)
says:

>A PC with the proper display adapter
>can do quite well for all kinds of 3278, and some varieties of 3279.  3179G
>is possible, too (talk to Mitek for that).

I sure would like 3179G emulation in a TN3720.  Does anyone have an
address or phone number for Mitek handy?

>            - Does tn3270 work with AS/400 TCP/IP (not only with VM/CMS) ?
>Don't know, even about our own DOS product.  I haven't yet heard of an
>AS/400 on the Internet that we could test against (any volunteers?).

We are using FTP Software's TN3270 to telnet to an AS/400.  It works
pretty good; I wish it (TN3270) supported color or at least extended
attributes (like underscore).  The default 3270-to-5250 keyboard mapping
(on the AS/400) is brain-damaged, but (somewhat) easily remedied with a
user command.  Also, it only does 24 lines.  I also use FAL's telnet to
log onto the AS/400.  Extended color and highlighting work.

Because of the weirdness in remapping the 3270->5250 keys, I wish I had a
TN3720 that allowed its keyboard remapping to define more than one 3270
key to be transmitted with one PC key.  The 5250 has 24 PF keys plus more
than the usual 3270 attention keys: help, page up (roll down) and page
down (roll up), some some functions have to be mapped to dual 3270
attention keys (PA1+PFx or PA2+PFx).  A TN5250 would be nice for this
reason.

cws@FTP.COM (Cris Shuldiner) (11/09/90)

    Date: 8 Nov 90 16:45:31 GMT
    From: psuvm!cjs@psuvax1.cs.psu.edu
    Subject: 3270 TELNET client (tn3270 ?) and AS/400 TELNET server (TCP/IP)
    To: tcp-ip@nic.ddn.mil

    I sure would like 3179G emulation in a TN3720.  Does anyone have an
    address or phone number for Mitek handy?

The number for Mitek is (214) 490-4090.  They are located in Carrollton, TX.

    We are using FTP Software's TN3270 to telnet to an AS/400.  It works
    pretty good; I wish it (TN3270) supported color or at least extended
    attributes (like underscore).  The default 3270-to-5250 keyboard mapping
    (on the AS/400) is brain-damaged, but (somewhat) easily remedied with a
    user command.  Also, it only does 24 lines.  I also use FAL's telnet to
    log onto the AS/400.  Extended color and highlighting work.

Our TN program [in ver 2.05 which was released a couple of weeks ago]
does support extended attributes affecting color and highlighting.
It also supports 32x80, 43x80, and 27x132 screen sizes, if your video
card and monitor can handle them.

Cris Shuldiner						Product Support
cws@ftp.com						FTP Software, Inc.
"The pain of war can not exceed the woe of aftermath..."  - Led Zeppelin

bob@MorningStar.Com (Bob Sutterfield) (11/10/90)

      - Does tn3270 work with X-Windows(Openlook and Motif), Sunview
        and ASCII Terminals ?

   The curses output can be sent to a terminal emulator running in a
   window.

Alternatively, get expo.lcs.mit.edu:contrib/x3270-1.2.tar.Z, Jeff
Sparkes' X port of Robert Viduya's 3270tool.

palter@acsu.buffalo.edu (Bill Palter) (11/12/90)

In article <90312.114531CJS@psuvm.psu.edu> CJS@psuvm.psu.edu writes:
>In article <9011071458.AA25335@ftp.com>, jbvb@FTP.COM (James B. Van Bokkelen)
>says:
>We are using FTP Software's TN3270 to telnet to an AS/400.  It works
>pretty good; I wish it (TN3270) supported color or at least extended
>attributes (like underscore).  The default 3270-to-5250 keyboard mapping
>(on the AS/400) is brain-damaged, but (somewhat) easily remedied with a
>user command.  Also, it only does 24 lines.  I also use FAL's telnet to
>log onto the AS/400.  Extended color and highlighting work.
>
>Because of the weirdness in remapping the 3270->5250 keys, I wish I had a
>TN3720 that allowed its keyboard remapping to define more than one 3270
>key to be transmitted with one PC key.  The 5250 has 24 PF keys plus more
>than the usual 3270 attention keys: help, page up (roll down) and page
>down (roll up), some some functions have to be mapped to dual 3270
>attention keys (PA1+PFx or PA2+PFx).  A TN5250 would be nice for this
>reason.

	Can anyone point me to an IBM manual that describes a 5250 manual,
or a list of differences it has from a 3270.

	I have just finished implementing a new tn3270 and I am thinking about
doing 3179-G or 5250 emulation as well.

Bill Palter
Palter@twg.com
The Wollongong Group
2010 Corporate Ridge Drive
McLean VA. 22102
(703) 847-4570

csb@gdwb.oz.au (Craig Bishop) (11/12/90)

CJS@psuvm.psu.edu writes:
>Because of the weirdness in remapping the 3270->5250 keys, I wish I had a
>TN3720 that allowed its keyboard remapping to define more than one 3270
>key to be transmitted with one PC key.  The 5250 has 24 PF keys plus more
>than the usual 3270 attention keys: help, page up (roll down) and page
>down (roll up), some some functions have to be mapped to dual 3270
>attention keys (PA1+PFx or PA2+PFx).  A TN5250 would be nice for this
>reason.

I also would like TN5250. But even better would be an implementation
"x3270" which was "x5250". Anyone out there dong this?
--
Craig Bishop			Geelong & District Water Board
Phone: +61 52 262506		61-67 Ryrie St Geelong