[comp.protocols.tcp-ip] Why do mysterious UUUUUUUUUUUUs sometimes dance on my screen?

sherman%vsdec.decnet@NUSC.NAVY.MIL ("VSDEC::SHERMAN") (11/11/90)

Hi.

I've had/seen an intermittent problem over the last 8 years, and
I have yet to bump into anybody who can explain why I see this
problem, or what it is.

I'll be connected to some computer via modem doing my normal work
when suddenly I'll get about 60 uppercase Us on my screen.  From
then on, everything I type gets echoed on my CRT but I get no
tried typing commands that would effect things on the computer
that I'm dialed up to so that when I sign back on again I could
tell if it was seeing what I typed, but the commands were never
acted upon.  But the modem is still off-hook and got a carrier-
detect.

I've seen the mysterious UUUUUUUs using different terminals and
terminal emulators, when using different modems, when dialed up
not only to different computers, but also different sites across
the country.

Does anybody there know what this is?  I only happens perhaps 3
or 4 times a year, but it's always very annoying and extremely
puzzling.

Bill

bzs@world.std.com (Barry Shein) (11/12/90)

In ASCII "U" is hex 55 or, in binary, your message is 01010101010101010101

Perhaps that's a clue.
--
        -Barry Shein

Software Tool & Die    | {xylogics,uunet}!world!bzs | bzs@world.std.com

paul@uxc.cso.uiuc.edu (Paul Pomes - UofIllinois CSO) (11/12/90)

sherman%vsdec.decnet@NUSC.NAVY.MIL ("VSDEC::SHERMAN") writes:

>Hi.
>
>I've had/seen an intermittent problem over the last 8 years, and
>I have yet to bump into anybody who can explain why I see this
>problem, or what it is.
>
>I'll be connected to some computer via modem doing my normal work
>when suddenly I'll get about 60 uppercase Us on my screen.  From
>then on, everything I type gets echoed on my CRT but I get no

Some line noise is triggering the remote modem to go into a test mode and/or
loopback.  Upper case 'U' characters have an alternating 1-0 bit pattern
useful for testing BER, etc.  The fix is to disable remote toggling of test
mode.

/pbp
--
         Paul Pomes

UUCP: {att,iuvax,uunet}!uiucuxc!paul   Internet, BITNET: paul@uxc.cso.uiuc.edu
US Mail:  UofIllinois, CSO, 1304 W Springfield Ave, Urbana, IL  61801-2910

ab4@cunixb.cc.columbia.edu (Andrew M. Boardman) (11/12/90)

There was a an exhaustive discussion of this a while ago, in, I believe,
comp.dcom.telecom.  I seem to remember that this was caused by modems
trying to resync -- they would send alternating 1's and 0's until they
got back on speaking terms.

/a