[comp.protocols.tcp-ip] Cost of Internet access

mcb@presto.ig.com (Michael C. Berch) (11/03/90)

In the referenced article, dhesi%cirrusl@oliveb.ATC.olivetti.com
(Rahul Dhesi) writes:
> While we're on the subject, the whole idea of requiring some sort of
> leased line for Internet access is all wrong.  In this age of
> Trailblazers, low-volume access to a network shouldn't need to cost
> more than $30/hour after hours plus $1.50 per month for maintaining the
> account.

Uhhh, $30/hour?  That's about $21,000 per month, isn't it?  Even
assuming you typo'd "$30" for "$3" that would be $2,100/month which is
still pretty high.  Unless you meant some sort of access that would
only be a few hours per day, which misses the main advantage of
Internet access in the first place, which is real-time access to a
large set of distributed resources.  As an Internet user I can sit at
my workstation during business hours and log in to remote accounts,
FTP files to and from arbitrary locations all over the world, and send
and receive mail that arrives in seconds or minutes.

Dial-up SLIP or PPP on an after-hours batched basis can't offer those
services and do not, to my mind, provide much of an advantage over
dial-up UUCP.  "Real" Internet access, to me, means real-time access.

--
Michael C. Berch
mcb@presto.ig.com / uunet!presto.ig.com!mcb / ames!bionet!mcb

pcg@cs.aber.ac.uk (Piercarlo Grandi) (11/05/90)

On 3 Nov 90 07:27:22 GMT, mcb@presto.ig.com (Michael C. Berch) said:

	[ ... on cheaper Internet access ... ]

mcb> Unless you meant some sort of access that would only be a few hours
mcb> per day, which misses the main advantage of Internet access in the
mcb> first place, which is real-time access to a large set of
mcb> distributed resources.  As an Internet user I can sit at my
mcb> workstation during business hours and log in to remote accounts,
mcb> FTP files to and from arbitrary locations all over the world, and
mcb> send and receive mail that arrives in seconds or minutes.

All these goodies COST MONEY. If you are the one signing the cheques and
you are given an option between instant service during business hours at
3X and evenings at X, maybe you think more than three times about the choice.

mcb> Dial-up SLIP or PPP on an after-hours batched basis can't offer those
mcb> services and do not, to my mind, provide much of an advantage over
mcb> dial-up UUCP.  "Real" Internet access, to me, means real-time access.

Note that dialup IP connections are indeed non batched -- it is
applications that would be batched, waiting for the IP connection to be
established. Just like sendmail does today wih SMTP.

The difference between dialup IP and dialup UUCP is that UUCP can only
be offline, while IP can also be online. The difference between dialup
IP and direct link IP is that dialup IP does not give continuous access,
but only on request. It is up to you do delay the request or not.

So the issue is not batched vs. online, but continuous vs. on demand.

Once we all have ISDN and IP over ISDN we will all have continuous IP at
the same price as dialup IP; for now, dedicated lines offering
continuous Internet connectivity are expensive...
--
Piercarlo "Peter" Grandi           | ARPA: pcg%uk.ac.aber.cs@nsfnet-relay.ac.uk
Dept of CS, UCW Aberystwyth        | UUCP: ...!mcsun!ukc!aber-cs!pcg

jcurran@SH.CS.NET (11/06/90)

Dialup IP services are quite inexpensive, and if set up with care will
give all the advantages of a dedicated circuit only with an occasional
30 second delay (those times when the line must be brought up.)

Yes, dedicated circuits are very nice.  But if it takes a dial-up line
to get some companies on the Internet, then so be it.

/John

In article <9011061147.AA20765@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU> jcurran@SH.CS.NET writes:
> Dialup IP services are quite inexpensive, and if set up with care will
> give all the advantages of a dedicated circuit only with an occasional
> 30 second delay (those times when the line must be brought up.)

Um, won't this cause problems with SMTP? What does SMTP do when the
destination is only available for brief periods, or should you handle
your mail via an MX?
--
Peter da Silva.   `-_-'
+1 713 274 5180.   'U`

jdeitch@jadpc.cts.com (Jim Deitch) (11/10/90)

In article <WA_6L.@xds13.ferranti.com> peter@ficc.ferranti.com (Peter da Silva) writes:
>In article <9011061147.AA20765@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU> jcurran@SH.CS.NET writes:
>> Dialup IP services are quite inexpensive, and if set up with care will
>> give all the advantages of a dedicated circuit only with an occasional
>> 30 second delay (those times when the line must be brought up.)
>
>Um, won't this cause problems with SMTP? What does SMTP do when the
>destination is only available for brief periods, or should you handle
>your mail via an MX?
>--
>Peter da Silva.   `-_-'
>+1 713 274 5180.   'U`
>peter@ferranti.com

Not at all.  SMTP will just hold the message on queue until either
sendmail or whatever you are using to smtp with wakes up and tries
again to send it.  If it can't connect within about 3 days or so then
it is returned to the sender.  This is the way it works for both
directions.  Once you have the link up you can invoke sendmail -q to
run the queue and deliver what it can.

Jim

--

UUCP: nosc!jadpc!jdeitch
ARPA: jadpc!jdeitch@nosc.mil

jcurran@SH.CS.NET (11/11/90)

Regarding dialup IP services, Peter da Silva writes:
> Um, won't this cause problems with SMTP? What does SMTP do when the
> destination is only available for brief periods, or should you handle
> your mail via an MX?

As long your implementation automatically brings up the circuit when there
is a packet queued (at either end), the application layer can not distinguish
dialup IP services from dedicated.  SMTP simply gets a long delay on the
initial connection.

/John

bzs@world.std.com (Barry Shein) (11/11/90)

>As long your implementation automatically brings up the circuit when there
>is a packet queued (at either end), the application layer can not distinguish
>dialup IP services from dedicated.  SMTP simply gets a long delay on the
>initial connection.

That doesn't quite answer Peter's message. What about some random host
out there with mail for you? He tries to connect, gets a timeout since
you're not dialed in at the moment, and re-queues. Chances are slim
that you'll be dialed in when he happens to retry unless you're dialed
in a lot.

Of course, if the other host will also dial you then that's a
solution. But I'm pretty sure (due to voice network charges and the
service relationship usually implied) this is not the model most
people are thinking of, they are effectively a leaf node and dial a
centralized host providing the SLIP service to them.

One has to either use MX records so the centralized host accepts and
forwards the mail (the easiest solution), or use something like POP.
--
        -Barry Shein

Software Tool & Die    | {xylogics,uunet}!world!bzs | bzs@world.std.com

imp@marvin.Solbourne.COM (Warner Losh) (11/11/90)

Someone write:
>>As long your implementation automatically brings up the circuit when there
>>is a packet queued (at either end), the application layer can not distinguish
>>dialup IP services from dedicated.  SMTP simply gets a long delay on the
>>initial connection.

But most systems time out if they don't get a connection after 30
seconds or so.  When I dial in to work from home, it takes at least
that long to make the connection.  Since a mailer will requeue to try
later (anywhere from 10 minutes to a day depending on the mailer%),
the line may well have disconnected by then to save charges.

In article <BZS.90Nov10150636@world.std.com> bzs@world.std.com (Barry Shein) writes:
>Of course, if the other host will also dial you then that's a
>solution. But I'm pretty sure (due to voice network charges and the
>service relationship usually implied) this is not the model most
>people are thinking of, they are effectively a leaf node and dial a
>centralized host providing the SLIP service to them.

However, SMTP doesn't work this way in practice.  Sure, there is a
command that tells the mail daemon on a remote machine to send mail
down the line, but it isn't widely implemented.  Unless my machine can
connect to your machine, the mail usually doesn't go out.

>One has to either use MX records so the centralized host accepts and
>forwards the mail (the easiest solution), or use something like POP.

This sounds like a good idea.  But if you are going to do dialup
already, why not just use uucp mail?  It is simpler to setup than
arranging slip lines.

The whole idea of dialup access is good, if it can be done "fast" and
on demand.  TCP connection would show the line is still in use, but
how do you work out things like UDP packets?  There is no "connection"
data or state associated with them.

Warner
--
%Mailers -- Sendmail is one mailer that is on the Internet.  There are
others that don't behave the same way that sendmail does, but are not

jcurran@SH.CS.NET (11/12/90)

> This sounds like a good idea.  But if you are going to do dialup
> already, why not just use uucp mail?  It is simpler to setup than
> arranging slip lines.
>
> The whole idea of dialup access is good, if it can be done "fast" and
> on demand.  TCP connection would show the line is still in use, but
> how do you work out things like UDP packets?  There is no "connection"
> data or state associated with them.
>
> Warner

Dialup IP provides a general transport service for mail, ftp, telnet, etc.
Many people are using dialup IP with automatic initiation for this reason
and it works quite well.  Certainly a little care has to be used when setting
up mail and DNS [kids, don't try this at home..], but it's worth it for those
sites who can't afford the cost of a dedicated circuit.

This line of conversation started regarding the high cost of connecting to the
Internet; it's important to show there are alternatives to the direct line.

/John

dave@ecrc.de (Dave Morton) (11/13/90)

In article <9011101731.AA20352@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU>, jcurran@SH.CS.NET writes:
|>Regarding dialup IP services, Peter da Silva writes:
|>> Um, won't this cause problems with SMTP? What does SMTP do when the
|>> destination is only available for brief periods, or should you handle
|>> your mail via an MX?
|>
|>As long your implementation automatically brings up the circuit when there
|>is a packet queued (at either end), the application layer can not distinguish
|>dialup IP services from dedicated.  SMTP simply gets a long delay on the
|>initial connection.
|>
|>/John

This is exactly how tund appears to work on X.25 links. If you're on a
fixed cost X.25 net like the WiN then that's ok, if you're on a fee per
packet X.25 net then you might end up paying even though the other site
has established the call. Tund, for example, re-establishes it from your
side. We ran into this situation recently - it can be expensive....

Dave Morton,
European Computer Research Centre		Tel. + (49) 89-92699-139
Arabellastr 17, 8000 Munich 81. Germany.	Fax. + (49) 89-92699-170
E-mail:	dave@ecrc.de