[comp.protocols.tcp-ip] ftp between IBM's secure xenix and SunOS 4.1

gds@LA.TIS.COM (Greg Skinner) (11/14/90)

If anyone out there has experienced any kind of trouble with bogus IP
options issued by IBM's secure xenix during ftp's with SunOS 4.1
machines (or for that matter, any other machines) please let me know
by email.

--gregbo

dtm@ULANA.MITRE.ORG (David T. Miller) (11/14/90)

>If anyone out there has experienced any kind of trouble with bogus IP
>options issued by IBM's secure xenix during ftp's with SunOS 4.1
>machines (or for that matter, any other machines) please let me know
>by email.
>
>--gregbo

We discovered that our Sun's (SunOS 4.1) crash instantly when
attempting an FTP to a secure xenix host.  The secure xenix sends
fixed length IP headers - 32 octets - 12 bytes of padded zeroes
with no options. I have no idea why, but it causes the Suns to
immediately reboot, and as the Sun is trying to reboot, the xenix
machine begins retransmitting its last packet causing the Sun to
begin rebooting again.  This continues until you reboot the xenix
machine.  We contacted Sun and have received to patches which
corrected the problem on the Sun end.  I'm still not sure about
the xenix 32 octet IP headers.

The patches from Sun are #s:  100077-02 and 100149-01.  Sun will
mail these out to you if you report the problem.  Our contact
was Arlene at Sun Support (415) 336-6034.

Dave Miller
dtm@mitre.org

postel@VENERA.ISI.EDU (11/15/90)

Greg:

Maybe you mean Datagrams with protocol type = 91 (in the field where TCP = 6)?
This is called LARP from Locus computing.  Everyone should feel free to give
Locus a very hard time about not documenting this in an RFC.

--jon.

	From tcp-ip-RELAY@NIC.DDN.MIL Wed Nov 14 03:38:31 1990