[comp.protocols.tcp-ip] Why do I need multiple host names for the same host?

csd35@seq1.keele.ac.uk (Jonathan Knight) (11/08/90)

Our dept has just re-arranged its ethernet into 2 seperate ethernets
with a sun 4 acting as the router.  It is the only host which has
more than one cable attached to it.

Following the manual we have put:
192.42.100.3    do loghost
192.82.242.1    doc_1

into our hosts table.  This causes problems as some of our diskless
stations need to be told to get their swap and root from 'doc'
and others need to get it from 'doc_1'.  This is caused by the fact
that they have no routing information at the point at which they want
to download vmunix.  Therefore the host they boot from must be on
their network.

I have two questions.

1)	When a host on the 192.82.242 network tries to talk to
	'doc' is the packet addressed to 192.42.100.3?  If not
	is this packet unpacked by doc?  If not does this packet
	actually get placed on the 192.42.100 network and re-read
	by doc?

2)	Is there a way to indicate to each host that doc is local
	on their ethernet?

The only solution I came up with was having multiple /etc/hosts, one
for each network with doc listed on that network.  This is inelegant as
we want to use YP (sorry - NIS) to distribute the known hosts to all
networks and we want to avoid multiple domains.

Any help will be gratefully received.
--
  ______    JANET :jonathan@uk.ac.keele.cs     Jonathan Knight,
    /       BITNET:jonathan%cs.kl.ac.uk@ukacrl Department of Computer Science

smb@cs.purdue.EDU (Scott M. Ballew) (11/15/90)

In article <705@keele.keele.ac.uk> csd35@seq1.keele.ac.uk (Jonathan Knight) writes:
>I have two questions.
>
>1)	When a host on the 192.82.242 network tries to talk to
>	'doc' is the packet addressed to 192.42.100.3? If not
>	is this packet unpacked by doc?  If not does this packet
>	actually get placed on the 192.42.100 network and re-read
>	by doc?

Ok, first it will send it to 192.42.100.3 since this is the only
translation for the name doc.  Doc will recognize it as its own and
process it correctly (it does NOT go back out on the other net).  If
it were sent out on the other net, it is not guaranteed that doc could
read it back in (some ethernet interfaces hear themselves talking,
others do not).

>2)	Is there a way to indicate to each host that doc is local
>	on their ethernet?

We do the following with our gateways:
128.10.2.8      gwen gwen-en
128.10.3.8      gwen gwen-xinu

(I have deleted the fully qualified domain names).  This seems to keep
everyone who does not run DNS (a rapidly shrinking number) happy.  I
don't know about booting, however, since we generally do not make a
file server a gateway.

Running a nameserver is probably a better bet but you may have reasons
not to do so.

Scott Ballew
Cypress Network Operations Center
Purdue University Department of Computer Sciences