[comp.protocols.tcp-ip] Macintosh & TCP/IP

rzelman@coh.UUCP (R. Zelman) (11/14/90)

Does anyone know of good TCP/IP software for the MAC?  In our lab
we have a number of online instruments connected to various systems
(DECstation 2100's, SUN Sparc station, Compaq 386) that we wish to
connect to a Macintosh 2 via ethernet.  The Dec's are running
ULTRIX.  The Mac will have a CD Rom read/write optical drive to
store the data from the instruments.  What would be a suitable
ethernet board to install in the Mac and what is the best software
to purchase?  Also, any ideas as to software and hardware to
connect the Compaq 386?  Please email to me direct.  Thanks in
advance.

Ron Zelman                  Internet: rzelman%coh@usc.edu
City of Hope
Duarte, CA

veizades@apple.com (John Veizades) (11/15/90)

This is a list of applications that run over MacTCP, Apple implementation
of the TCP/IP protocols.  The list is as complete as I could make it.  If
anyone has addition to the list please drop me a line.

John Veizades...
MacTCP Engineering Manager
Apple Computer, Inc.

----------------------------

Terminal Emulators and File Transfer Tools
	SUMac/IP 4.0 - Stanford University
	NCSA Telnet - University of Illinois
	tn3270 - Brown University
	Net/One MacUWS - Ungermann Bass
	TCP/Connect II - Intercon
	HyperFTP - Cornell University
	TGraph - Grafpoint
	PacerLink - Pacer Software, Inc.
	Mac Samson - Stanford University

Mail Tools
	POPStack - University of Minnesota
	MacMH 4.0 - Stanford University
	BeaverGate - University of Toronto
	Mews - University of Tasmania
	GatorMail - Cayman
	Mail*LInk - StarNine
	TCP/Connect II - Intercon
	NetNews - Apple Computer, Inc.
	MacPost - Lund University, Sweden
	IMap - Stanford University

X Servers
	MacX - Apple Computer, Inc.
	eXcedos - White Pines Software

Programming Libraries
	Stanford Streams - Stanford University
	Sockets - Novell
	Sockets - University of Toronto
	MacTCP XCMDS - Apple Computer, Inc.
	MacWorkstation Tool - University of Michigan

Databases
	Wingz - Informix
	Oracle
	Sybase

NFS
	The Wollongong Group
	InterCon
	GatorBox - Cayman

Gateways (Hardware and Software)
	GatorBox - Cayman
	FastPath - Shiva
	MultiGate - NRC
	Cornell
	Ungermann Bass
	The Wollongong Group
	MultiGate - Webster

Comm Toolbox
	TCPack - Advanced Software Concepts
	Pacer's CommToolbox interface

Miscellaneous
	MacNix - List
	Mathematica - Wolfram Research Inc.
	SNMP Agent - CMU - Excel based
	MacTCP API in A/UX - Apple

--

kdb@macaw.intercon.com (Kurt Baumann) (11/16/90)

In article <11257@goofy.Apple.COM>, veizades@apple.com (John Veizades) writes:
> Comm Toolbox
> 	TCPack - Advanced Software Concepts
> 	Pacer's CommToolbox interface

Gack.  John, you missed our tool here.  :-)  InterCon has a tool as well,
that allows both Telnet negotiation and raw TCP, and is much smaller than
TCPack, I don't know about Pacer's, I haven't seen it.

--
Kurt Baumann                       InterCon Systems Corporation
703.709.9890                      Creators of fine TCP/IP products

jpk%slig.ucl.ac.be@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU (J.P. Kuypers) (11/16/90)

We know to :

Mail Tools
 TechMail - Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT Information Systems)
 MacPOP - NASA Ames Research Center
 Eudora - University of Illinois Board of Trustees (Steve Dorner)
 MailStop (an SMTP/POP2 mail-server) - University of Minnesota

J.P. Kuypers
Catholic University of Louvain
UCL - SRI
place des Sciences 4