[comp.protocols.tcp-ip] Death on ICMP unreachable also harmful

philip@beeblebrox.dle.dg.com (Philip Gladstone) (11/19/90)

Havard Eidnes writes:
> The Host Requirements state
> that a host implementation of TCP MUST NOT do this (specifically: the ICMPs
> net unreachable, host unreachable or source route failed should be
> considered temporary failures and not permanent conditions). Some gateways
> have the ability to turn off the sending of ICMP net unreachables, but this
> is just a workaround for "broken" host implementations.

I have found that most implementations of TCP/IP do not return
net/host unreachable messages even when they know that the path to the
net/host is not available. Is this due to the existence of the
'broken' implementations as mentioned above?

For example, on a lan which uses ARP, the host 'knows' that the remote
machine is not present when the ARP request times out. At this point,
it tends to drop the datagram.

I would prefer to get back 'net unreachable' messages rather than the
ubiquitous 'timeout' message.

--
Philip Gladstone
Development Lab Europe