[comp.protocols.tcp-ip] Request for Generic Pinger software

a38@nikhefh.nikhef.nl (James Barr) (11/16/90)

Hello,

I wondered if anyone knew of a program that could concurrently
ping multiple hosts or 'ping' using different protocols.  Or
failing this, give me some thoughts on how to construct one.

Thanks,
James Barr
--
James Barr                                        ...............       ......
+31 20-592-5104                                   ...........       ..........

jbvb@FTP.COM (James B. Van Bokkelen) (11/19/90)

Jerry Saltzer at MIT was the first person do do something of this sort;
his used the MIT PCIP software as the lower layers, but I don't know if it
is included in any of the distributions.  We sell one (part of our "SNMP
Toolkit" offering for DOS PCs), you could write your own on our API.
Whether you'd be able to do it on any given OS depends on its offering an
adequate programmatic interface to ICMP; 4bsd unix lets you at the ICMP,
but I don't know if it can handle multiple simultaneous requests...

James B. VanBokkelen		26 Princess St., Wakefield, MA  01880
FTP Software Inc.		voice: (617) 246-0900  fax: (617) 246-0901

romkey@ASYLUM.SF.CA.US (John Romkey) (11/19/90)

   Date: Sun, 18 Nov 90 22:17:31 -0500
   From: jbvb@ftp.com  (James B. Van Bokkelen)

   Jerry Saltzer at MIT was the first person do do something of this sort;
   his used the MIT PCIP software as the lower layers, but I don't know if it
   is included in any of the distributions.

It's the 'monitor' program in the last MIT release of PC/IP; it's in
all the later collections.
		- john romkey			Epilogue Technology
USENET/UUCP/Internet:  romkey@asylum.sf.ca.us	FAX: 415 594-1141

0004219666@MCIMAIL.COM (Bob Stine) (11/19/90)

>I wondered if anyone knew of a program that could concurrently
>ping multiple hosts or 'ping' using different protocols.

A cursory skim thru RFC 1147 shows 4 tools that might meet your requirements:

  1. Internet Rover,
  2. Map,
  3. netmon, and
  4. NPRV

Quoting liberally from the RFC....

Internet Rover is a prototype network monitor that uses multiple protocol
"modules" to test network functionality... Modules are included to test TELNET,
FTP, and SMTP.

The Internet Rover is known to run on Suns and IBM RTs.  It requires curses,
4.xBSD UNIX socket programming libraries, and BSD ping.

Full source for Internet Rover is available via anonymous FTP from  merit.edu
(35.1.1.42) in the ~ftp/pub/inetrover directory.  Source and executables are
public  domain  and  can  be freely  distributed for non-commercial use.

Map -- the Interactive Network Map -- draws a map of network connectivity and
allows interactive examination of information about various components including
whether hosts can be reached over the network.  Net components are pinged by use
of ICMP echo and, optionally, CHAOS status requests and SNMP "gets."

Map requires an X display for interactive display of the map, although
non-graphical interaction is available in non-display mode.  For hardcopy output
a PostScript or Tektronix 4692 printer is required.

Map runs under BSD UNIX or related OS.  IP/ICMP is required; CHAOS/STATUS and
SNMP can be used but are optional.  X-Windows is required for interactive
display of the map.

To obtain individual files or instructions on getting the full current release,
send a request to:

    MAP-Request@LCS.MIT.Edu.

Netmon is a DOS-based program that pings hosts on a monitored list at
user-specified intervals.  In addition, a user may optionally ping hosts not on
the list.  Netmon also performs domain lookups.  Furthermore, a user may build
and send a domain query to any desired DNS server.
Netmon requires the DOS operating system, and the PC/TCP Kernel by FTP Software,
Inc.

The BYU modified version is available for anonymous FTP from Dcsprod.byu.edu, in
directory "programs."  It can be freely distributed for non-commercial use.

For VAX/VMS, there is NPRV -- IP Node/Protocol Reachability Verifier.  NPRV is a
full-screen, keypad-oriented utility that runs under VAX/VMS.  It allows the
user to quickly scan through a user-defined list of IP addresses (or domain
names) and verify a node's reachability.  The node's reachability is determined
by performing an ICMP echo, UDP echo and a TCP echo at alternating three second
intervals.

NPRV runs under VAX/VMS V5.1+ and TGV Incorporated's MultiNet version 2.0.
It can use any network interface supported by TGV Incorporated's MultiNet
software.

NPRV executables can be obtained by anonymous FTP from CCC.NMFECC.GOV
(128.55.128.30).  The distribution includes the following files:

               [ANONYMOUS.PROGRAMS.NPRV]NPRV.DOC     (ASCII text)
               [ANONYMOUS.PROGRAMS.NPRV]NPRV.EXE     (binary)
               [ANONYMOUS.PROGRAMS.NPRV]SAMPLE.IPA   (ASCII text)

Hope this helps.

Bob Stine

0004219666@MCIMAIL.COM (Bob Stine) (11/21/90)

>>NPRV executables can be obtained by anonymous FTP from CCC.NMFECC.GOV
>>(128.55.128.30).  The distribution includes the following files:
>>
>>               [ANONYMOUS.PROGRAMS.NPRV]NPRV.DOC     (ASCII text)
>>               [ANONYMOUS.PROGRAMS.NPRV]NPRV.EXE     (binary)
>>               [ANONYMOUS.PROGRAMS.NPRV]SAMPLE.IPA   (ASCII text)

> This host have a anonymous disallowed :(
> Do you know how can get this package in another host or can you send me all
> files !!!!!!!!

Rats!

Sorry, I don't have my own copy of the NPRV distribution.  Thanks for the
(unhappy) info.  I'll investigate.

- Bob Stine