[comp.protocols.tcp-ip] Limited version of telnet

pemurray@miavx1.acs.muohio.edu (Peter Murray) (11/28/90)

I'm looking for a limited version of TELNET.  This program would only allow
connections to one host or a list of hosts in a text file.  What I don't want
is this program to is to domain lookups.

We would use this program to publish a LAT service for a Unix box that does not
support LAT.  Regular TELNET allows a person to enter a command mode and
connect to another host (ie, anonymous telnet).  But I really don't want to
disable the command mode.

Thanks for your help.

Peter
--
Peter Murray            Neat UNIX Stunts #4:             pemurray@miavx1.bitnet
176 Thompson Hall             csh> \(-            pmurray@apsvax.aps.muohio.edu

enag@ifi.uio.no (Erik Naggum) (11/29/90)

In article <2974.27527950@miavx1.acs.muohio.edu> pemurray@miavx1.acs.muohio.edu (Peter Murray) writes:

   I'm looking for a limited version of TELNET.  This program would
   only allow connections to one host or a list of hosts in a text
   file.  What I don't want is this program to is to domain lookups.

May I suggest that it looks up the name of the host to connect to in a
table to find if it's acceptable, and then do the domain name lookup
to find the address?

You don't want to reconfigure more than you have to when addresses
change, and you don't want the text table to contain errors.

Morale: Always use the DNS.

--
[Erik Naggum]	Snail: Naggum Software / BOX 1570 VIKA / 0118 OSLO / NORWAY
		Mail: <erik@naggum.uu.no>, <enag@ifi.uio.no>

pemurray@miavx1.acs.muohio.edu (Peter Murray) (11/30/90)

In article <ENAG.90Nov29001605@hild.ifi.uio.no>, enag@ifi.uio.no (Erik Naggum) writes:
> In article <2974.27527950@miavx1.acs.muohio.edu> pemurray@miavx1.acs.muohio.edu (Peter Murray) writes:
>
>    I'm looking for a limited version of TELNET.  This program would
>    only allow connections to one host or a list of hosts in a text
>    file.  What I don't want is this program to is to domain lookups.
>
> May I suggest that it looks up the name of the host to connect to in a
> table to find if it's acceptable, and then do the domain name lookup
> to find the address?
>
> You don't want to reconfigure more than you have to when addresses
> change, and you don't want the text table to contain errors.
>
> Morale: Always use the DNS.

Excellent suggestion.  Thank you.  If/when I have to write this, it will
have this function.

If no one has seen any software to do this, can someone please e-mail me
a site that has the telnet source.  Thanks.

Peter
--
Peter Murray            Neat UNIX Stunts #5:             pemurray@miavx1.bitnet
176 Thompson Hall    sh> drink <bottle; opener    pmurray@apsvax.aps.muohio.edu