[comp.protocols.tcp-ip] Interoperating with HP

rlg@desktalkdesktalk.com (Richard L. Gralnik) (11/28/90)

Hi gang,
We are on the verge of great things, but I figure I'm better off forewarned
so...

Does anyone have experience connecting a

	Sequent (Dynix 3.0.17)

to an

	HP 3000 (MPE/V Delta 5) with
		HP's LANIC board and TCP/IP software
		Wollongong ARPA Services for MPE TCP/IP

I have been warned off telneting from the HP, but any other gotchas would
be appreciated.

Also, we are going to try some print sharing from the HP and the Sequent to
a serial printer on a Xyplex terminal server.  We are debating having both
systems print to the same port and using DTR/DSR to check port availability,
or using one machine as a print server and ftp'ing files to it from the second
machine with a script on the first to watch a spool directory for new print
files.  If anyone has any scripts for something like this, or ideas/suggestions
we'd appreciate it.

Thanks,
Richard
rlg@biobio.desktalk.com

coolidge@speaker.sgi.com (Don Coolidge) (11/30/90)

In article <9011271533.AA01752@desktalkdesktalk.com> rlg@desktalkdesktalk.com (Richard L. Gralnik) writes:
>Hi gang,
>We are on the verge of great things, but I figure I'm better off forewarned
>so...
>
>Does anyone have experience connecting a
>
>	Sequent (Dynix 3.0.17)
>
>to an
>
>	HP 3000 (MPE/V Delta 5) with
>		HP's LANIC board and TCP/IP software
>		Wollongong ARPA Services for MPE TCP/IP
>
>I have been warned off telneting from the HP, but any other gotchas would
>be appreciated.

The only real gotcha you have to watch out for is that native MPE doesn't
support either ARP or Ethernet - it encapsulates in 802.3 and does address
resolution with HP's Probe protocol. So, there's no way for the Sequent
to communicate with the MPE box on its own, if native MPE/V is all that's
on the HP. However, there are two ways to deal with this:

1) ARP and Ethernet can be bought for the latest Delta of MPE/V (sorry, I
   don't know if Delta 5 is the latest). Contact your HP rep.

2) If that won't work for you, you can put a cisco gateway between the two -
   cisco speaks Probe and 802.3. I also suspect (but don't know for sure)
   that some Wellfleet routers have the same capability. Finally, at InterOp
   I saw gateways at the HP booth with the HP logo on them. I'm sure that
   they, too, can translate.

Once you get over that hurdle, you'll be able to use the Wollongong services
to talk with their un*x cousins on the Sequent without much further ado.

- Don Coolidge
coolidge@speaker.wpd.sgi.com

raj@hpindwa.cup.hp.com (Rick Jones) (12/01/90)

On the subject of connecting MPE's with the rest of the networking world...

Don was correct, the latest version of MPE/V supports ethernet. So
does the next oldest release, and the next, and all the way back to
VDelta-5 ;-)  However, you would probably be well advised to upgrade
to at later release to get subnet support and accumulated fixes -
VDelta-5 is a rather old release.

rick jones
|__) /_\  |    Richard Anders Jones   | MPE/XL Networking Engineer
| \_/   \_/    Hewlett-Packard  Co.   | XL has Ethernet too ;-)
Being an employee of a Standards Company, all Standard Disclaimers Apply