[comp.protocols.tcp-ip] Berkeley Socket Libraries for Macintosh?

baw@terminator.cc.umich.edu (Brian Wolfe) (11/06/90)

Does anyone know if there is a Berkeley sockets API
(for TCP-IP) available for the Macintosh? The people I've spoken
to at Wollengong have said that they will have such a product
in about 6 months.

regards,

Brian

--
Brian Wolfe                    Internet: brian@rpslmc.edu
Rush Medical Center            Voice:    (312)-942-5781

kdb@macaw.intercon.com (Kurt Baumann) (11/07/90)

In article <1990Nov5.215358.27116@terminator.cc.umich.edu>,
baw@terminator.cc.umich.edu (Brian Wolfe) writes:
> Does anyone know if there is a Berkeley sockets API
> (for TCP-IP) available for the Macintosh? The people I've spoken
> to at Wollengong have said that they will have such a product
> in about 6 months.
>
> regards,
>
> Brian

Well while you are waiting for theirs, give Novell a call they have been
selling such a beast for the last 2-3 years.  They call it TCPort, yeah I
know it looks like TCP - ort, what an ort is I don't know.  But given a call
and take a look at it.  It should be compatable with their TCP/IP stack and
with Apple's MacTCP.

--
Kurt Baumann                       InterCon Systems Corporation
703.709.9890                      Creators of fine TCP/IP products

jon@athena.mit.edu (Jon A. Rochlis) (11/07/90)

When I ported Kerberos to the Mac I built a primitive socket library
on top of MacTCP.  You can get the "alpha" Kerberos distribution
including the socket library via anonymous ftp from
athena-dist.mit.edu ... retrieve the file pub/kerberos/README.mac for
intructions and export restrictions.

If you don't want to deal with Kerberos, you can get just the socket
library (plus a couple of other bsd compatibility routines) via
anonymous ftp from net-dist.mit.edu as jon/bsd-mac-compat.sit.Hqx ...

Please send any fixes or comments to me.

		-- Jon Rochlis (jon@mit.edu)
		   MIT Network Services

kdb@macaw.intercon.com (Kurt Baumann) (12/04/90)

In article <1990Nov5.215358.27116@terminator.cc.umich.edu>,
baw@terminator.cc.umich.edu (Brian Wolfe) writes:
> Does anyone know if there is a Berkeley sockets API
> (for TCP-IP) available for the Macintosh? The people I've spoken
> to at Wollengong have said that they will have such a product
> in about 6 months.

There is a PD version available from University of Toronto, I think.
There is also a socket package from Novell that (the last I heard) worked
with both their TCP stack and MacTCP.

Hope that helps.