[comp.protocols.tcp-ip] X25 over IP

pansiot@ISIS.U-STRASBG.FR (Jean-Jacques Pansiot Departement d'Informatique Universite Louis Pasteur Strasbourg FRANCE) (11/28/90)

Is there a standard way to run X25 over IP ( not the other way around, Ip over
X25 ).  We would like to use our IP network to carry non Ip traffic over X25.
I assume that either UDP or TCP would be between IP and X25 ?
Is there any product like some kind of terminal server  with X25 lines
and ethernet attachment that would permit  X25 virtual circuit
between  two (distant )ports and over IP ?
Obviously, I assume some IP-only routers along the path.

Thank you for any information

Jean-Jacques Pansiot,  Universite Louis Pasteur, Strasbourg, FRANCE
7, rue Descartes  67084 STRASBOURG CEDEX FRANCE
Email: pansiot@isis.u-strasbg.fr
Tel:  (33) 88 41 64 28
Fax:  (33) 88 61 90 69

dupont@inria.inria.fr (Francis Dupont) (11/29/90)

In article <9011271721.AA06559@isis.u-strasbg.fr>, pansiot@ISIS.U-STRASBG.FR (Jean-Jacques Pansiot Departement d'Informatique Universite Louis Pasteur Strasbourg FRANCE) writes:

> Is there a standard way to run X25 over IP (not the other way around, IP
> over X25 ).  We would like to use our IP network to carry non IP traffic
> over X25.

Cisco has a X.25 over TCP. It is useful for instance for PAD (X.3/X.28/X.29).
(OSI applications can use RFC 1086 "ISO-TP0 bridge between TCP and X.25"
but it is not possible for native usage of X.25 like PAD).
The transport of X.25 packets over TCP connections is very simple,
I've implemented it for Suns and I'm writing a description of it.

Francis.Dupont@inria.fr

mussar@bcars53.uucp (G. Mussar) (12/01/90)

In article <1900@inria.inria.fr> dupont@inria.inria.fr (Francis Dupont) writes:
>In article <9011271721.AA06559@isis.u-strasbg.fr>, pansiot@ISIS.U-STRASBG.FR (Jean-Jacques Pansiot Departement d'Informatique Universite Louis Pasteur Strasbourg FRANCE) writes:
>>
>> Is there a standard way to run X25 over IP (not the other way around, IP
>> over X25 ).  We would like to use our IP network to carry non IP traffic
>> over X25.
>
>Cisco has a X.25 over TCP. It is useful for instance for PAD (X.3/X.28/X.29).
>(OSI applications can use RFC 1086 "ISO-TP0 bridge between TCP and X.25"
>but it is not possible for native usage of X.25 like PAD).
>The transport of X.25 packets over TCP connections is very simple,
>I've implemented it for Suns and I'm writing a description of it.
>
>Francis.Dupont@inria.fr

I would be interested in seeing some "standard" for carrying X.25 on TCP/IP.
It would be useful being able to have multiple vendors X.25/IP products
talking the same language. I have my own version which I use when remote
applications wish to access my X.25 port on my Sun across the LAN. Does
your implementation allow for M/D/Q bits set in packets? Has Cisco
documented how their implementation works?
Gary Mussar  |Bitnet:  mussar@bnr.ca                  |  Phone: (613) 763-4937
BNR Ltd.     |  UUCP:  ..uunet!bnrgate!bcars53!mussar |  FAX:   (613) 763-2626

satz@CISCO.COM (Greg Satz) (12/03/90)

Our X.25 over TCP carries the X.25 packet intact so the M/D/Q bits are
conveyed from source to destination.

Greg

smart@mel.dit.csiro.au (Robert Smart) (12/04/90)

In article <9012031018.AA18270@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU> satz@CISCO.COM (Greg Satz) writes:
>Our X.25 over TCP carries the X.25 packet intact so the M/D/Q bits are
>conveyed from source to destination.

We would also like to run X.25 over our IP network (don't ask). It would
be nice if someone would threaten to publish an RFC on a protocol for
doing this. This would flush out Cisco's intentions: do they intend to
standardize their protocol or do they intend to IBM their customers
(any noun can be a verb: see recent posting on computer jargon).

Bob Smart <smart@mel.dit.csiro.au>