[comp.protocols.tcp-ip] NDIS spec.

sean@fiamass.ie (Sean Mc grath) (12/07/90)

I have only recently heard of a new software interface specification for
   network cards in PC's called NDIS.  3COM tell me that their TCP/IP uses
   it.  Has anyone out their anymore details about NDIS?

   Thanks In Advance,
   Sean Mc Grath (sean@fiamass.ie)
   Fiamass Ireland Ltd.
   12 Clarinda Park North
   Dun Loaghaire
   Co. Dublin.
   Ireland.

fks@FTP.COM (Frances Selkirk) (12/11/90)

NDIS (Network Driver Interface Specification) is not a card
specification, but, as the name says, a driver specification.
The specification was written by Microsoft and 3Com, to provide,
like the packet driver, a common interface to many cards, which
send packets to a single stack or demultiplex packets of different
types for two protocol stacks. Although Version 2.0.1 of the spec
came out about a year ago, most available drivers are still 1.0.1
based, and do not support unbinding.

Both versions of the spec are available by anonymous ftp to vax.ftp.com.
A packet driver to ndis converter, for most software that will run on
the packet driver to use an NDIS driver, is available also, under the
name "dis_pkt.dos."

Unlike packet drivers, most NDIS drivers are written by hardware
manufacturers, and are owned by those manufacturers. (As far as I
know, however, only Ungerman-Bass charges customers for their NDIS
driver.) They tend to be supported software.

Frances Kirk Selkirk		 info@ftp.com	           (617) 246-0900
FTP Software, Inc.		 26 Princess Street, Wakefield, MA  01880

ce1zzes@prism.gatech.EDU (Eric Sheppard) (12/12/90)

In article <9012102013.AA10764@ftp.com>, fks@FTP.COM (Frances Selkirk) writes:

> Unlike packet drivers, most NDIS drivers are written by hardware
> manufacturers, and are owned by those manufacturers. (As far as I
> know, however, only Ungerman-Bass charges customers for their NDIS
> driver.) They tend to be supported software.

I'd like to add that Ungermann-Bass' last quote on the yet-to-be-released
NDIS driver for their NIU (not NIC) cards is $395 for the TCP stack version.
Man! Spend over a thousand for this NIU card, and it won't even work with
anything that's not UB software until you fork over another $four hundred!
We can't get non-UB cards to work with the UB-net software, we can't get
NIU cards to run NFS.  What a waste!

Eric
--
Eric Sheppard      Georgia Tech    |   "Of course the US Constitution isn't
Atlanta, GA                        | perfect; but it's a lot better than what

xxseub@osprey.lerc.nasa.gov (Steven Eubanks) (12/12/90)

In article <18484@hydra.gatech.EDU>, ce1zzes@prism.gatech.EDU (Eric
Sheppard) writes:

|> I'd like to add that Ungermann-Bass' last quote on the
|> yet-to-be-released
|> NDIS driver for their NIU (not NIC) cards is $395 for the TCP stack
|> version.
. . .
|> We can't get non-UB cards to work with the UB-net software, we can't
|> get
|> NIU cards to run NFS.  What a waste!

Just a point of clarification:  I suspect that the $395 is for UB's TCP
implementation (TCP for NDIS) which will run over their ($50) NDIS driver.
You could purchase the UB NDIS driver for $50 and then go purchase
some other vendor's NDIS compliant TCP protocol stack which includes NFS, at
that vendor's price.  That's the only way I've successfully run NFS on a
UB NIU.

The only advantage I could see in using 'TCP for NDIS' would be to preserve any
UB applications requiring their protocol stack by running 'TCP for NDIS'
over some
other vendor's NDIS compliant card/driver.  Theoretically speaking, of
course. :-)

Steve
--
Steven W. Eubanks,  EDS/LIMS			NASA Lewis Research Center
Internet:xxseub@osprey.lerc.nasa.gov		21000 Brookpark Rd.

jbreeden@netcom.UUCP (John Breeden) (12/12/90)

In article <18484@hydra.gatech.EDU> ce1zzes@prism.gatech.EDU (Eric Sheppard) writes:
>In article <9012102013.AA10764@ftp.com>, fks@FTP.COM (Frances Selkirk) writes:
>>
>> Unlike packet drivers, most NDIS drivers are written by hardware
>> manufacturers, and are owned by those manufacturers. (As far as I
>> know, however, only Ungerman-Bass charges customers for their NDIS
>> driver.) They tend to be supported software.
>>

>I'd like to add that Ungermann-Bass' last quote on the yet-to-be-released
>NDIS driver for their NIU (not NIC) cards is $395 for the TCP stack version.
>Man! Spend over a thousand for this NIU card, and it won't even work with
>anything that's not UB software until you fork over another $four hundred!
>We can't get non-UB cards to work with the UB-net software, we can't get
>NIU cards to run NFS.  What a waste!

I think that whoever you talked to gave you bad info. UB sells their
complete set of NDIS MAC drivers (ISA & MCA NIC & NIUs) for fifty
bucks. They figure by charging, they stop the people who are "just
collecting drivers", big customers get them for free.

Something tells me you got a quote for a tcp-ip package - not NDIS drivers.

I don't work for UB, but I know what they charge for the drivers.
--
 John Robert Breeden,
 netcom!jbreeden@apple.com, apple!netcom!jbreeden, ATTMAIL:!jbreeden