[comp.protocols.tcp-ip] NCSA Telnet 2.2 bug in mput mget, etc on PC

wilker@gauss.math.purdue.edu (Clarence Wilkerson) (12/16/90)

In the commands that require processing a list sent from
the remote back to the PC, the PC version does not correctly
detect the end of the list, and after performing the asked
for transfers, starts trying to transfer whatever garbage
names are left in the buffer.
  If one originates the connection on the remote machine, and
then ftp's back to the PC, the multiple commands perform as
as expected.
Clarence Wilkerson

The beta copy of Telnet 2.3
I  tried out did not work with my 2,2 configeration file,
so I don't know that the problem is there also
.

3

syrjanen@serifos.Helsinki.FI (Seppo Syrjanen) (12/29/90)

In article <2825@mentor.cc.purdue.edu> wilker@gauss.math.purdue.edu.UUCP (Clarence Wilkerson) writes:
>In the commands that require processing a list sent from
>the remote back to the PC, the PC version does not correctly
>detect the end of the list, and after performing the asked

This is a genuine bug. Unfortunately fixing it introduces another (mget
works ONCE, then hangs).  The problem is in lower layers of code (TCP
etc), so I switched to CUTCP, which seems to accept our old configuration
file and works ok.

>Clarence Wilkerson

  Seppo Syrjanen                      Internet : syrjanen@cc.Helsinki.FI
  Computing Centre                    BITNET   : syrjanen@finuha.bitnet
  University of Helsinki              Phone    : +358 0 708 4132
  Finland  "...well, cyborg's gotta do what cyborg's programmed to do..." -ABC