[comp.protocols.tcp-ip] POP protocol

emv@math.lsa.umich.edu (Edward Vielmetti) (07/27/90)

In article <270@nih-csl.nih.gov> tpersky@suntory.dcrt.nih.gov (Ted Persky) writes:

   Would anyone know which of the many mail packages out there
   implement the Post Office Protocol, POP?

This is easily one of the most frequently asked questions on these
groups.  You should rummage through the comp.archives archives
(kept on cs.toronto.edu) for some recent announcements.

I'd like to see a newsgroup at some point to cover IMAP, POP, and
related protocols.

--Ed

Edward Vielmetti, U of Michigan math dept <emv@math.lsa.umich.edu>
comp.archives moderator

jbvb@VAX.FTP.COM (James B. Van Bokkelen) (07/27/90)

Apropos of this, I am currently trying to:

1) Locate commercially supported PCMAIL, POP or IMAP servers (I know
of IBM's and Sun's, both intended for use with the vendor's DOS POP2
client, and the source-form POP server supplied by InterCon)

2) Jawbone big-system vendors into supporting servers for PCMAIL (two
supported OS/2 clients, a DOS due in a short while) or either version
of POP (several supported OS/2 and DOS clients, but I think they're
all POP2).

If you know of vendors I don't, send me e-mail.  I'll summarize.  If
you are a potential server vendor/supporter, you're welcome to get in
touch as well.

James B. VanBokkelen		26 Princess St., Wakefield, MA  01880
FTP Software Inc.		voice: (617) 246-0900  fax: (617) 246-0901

BIWINE@VAXSAR.VASSAR.EDU (Bill Wine) (12/19/90)

We are interested in implementing a campus-wide e-mail system to link
about 300 Macs and PC's to an smtp host.  (Currently users log in to check
their mail.)  We would like to use pd software to reduce costs, so we
obtained a POP3 server and Eudora client software.  The system seems
to work very well, (with 3 concurrent users) and we especially like
the Eudora user interface.  Our concern is that the POP architecture
may not be sutiable for a large mail system.  It seems inefficient for
the POP client to check for newmail every 5 or 10 minutes.  This would
put a heavy load on the host with 300 clients.  It seems to me that a
better idea would be for a client to log in once, and for the server
to check for newmail periodically, then send it to the client.
Commercial systems such as QuickMail work this way, using a dedicated
Mac as a server.  One pd system that uses this architecture is MacPost
from Lund University.  We have just begun testing it.  One drawback is
that the user interface is not as nice as Eudora.

Would anyone care to share their experiences with large Mac or PC
e-mail systems (100+ concurrent users).  Is the POP architecture
suitable for large systems?  Is there a better one?

Thanks for your help.

Bill Wine
biwine@vassar.edu

cc: macnet-l@yalevm.bitnet
cc: tcp-ip@nic.ddn.mil

fks@FTP.COM (Frances Selkirk) (12/20/90)

There is nothing in the POP architecture that requires automatic polling.
Our POP clients check for mail when invoked. Look around for another
implementation.

Frances Kirk Selkirk		 info@ftp.com	           (617) 246-0900
FTP Software, Inc.		 26 Princess Street, Wakefield, MA  01880

kdb@macaw.intercon.com (Kurt Baumann) (12/21/90)

In article <9012191619.AA12643@ftp.com>, fks@FTP.COM (Frances Selkirk) writes:
> There is nothing in the POP architecture that requires automatic polling.
> Our POP clients check for mail when invoked. Look around for another
> implementation.

You are assuming that you can not set up Eudora to check only on demand.
I believe you can.  And this does not answer the question asked by the ONW.

What you want probably does not exsist, at least not using a standard TCP/IP
application.  You could just have Eudora or whatever POP client you end up
with just check when the user wants to see if there is mail.  The assumption
made with POP is that there is no garuntee that the PC/Mac/Whatever is up
and running on the network.  I supposed that you could have the server query
the client and if it doesn't find the client it stops trying to send until
it is tickled again.  That would be a way to handle what you want.  I am
unaware of any PD software that does what you want (other than something
like MacPost, which, if I am right, uses its own protocol for sending to
the individual Macs, but talks SMTP to the world?).

What someone needs to do is to extend the POP spec to handle this.  It might
be something worthwhile.  Adding the ability to have the server, once tickled,
query the client only when it has mail.

On another note, I estimate that there are about 30 60byte packets that go
out for every client query, that's not a whole lot.

Hope this helps.

--
Kurt Baumann                       InterCon Systems Corporation
703.709.9890                      Creators of fine TCP/IP products

BIWINE@VAXSAR.VASSAR.EDU (Bill Wine) (12/22/90)

>I have seen references to Eudora a couple times here. Can anyone tell
>me where to find it? We're looking for something to do what Eudora
>apparently does so I'd like to try it. I was told it was on
>ux1.cso.uiuc.edu but I couldn't find it there. Maybe I wasn't looking
>for the correct file name. Any help will be appreciated.

It's there, under mac/eudora.

Bill

mrc@Tomobiki-Cho.CAC.Washington.EDU (Mark Crispin) (01/03/91)

In article <E9633327E93FE1EE45@vaxsar.bitnet> BIWINE@VAXSAR.VASSAR.EDU (Bill Wine) writes:
>Our concern is that the POP architecture
>may not be sutiable for a large mail system.  It seems inefficient for
>the POP client to check for newmail every 5 or 10 minutes.
>It seems to me that a
>better idea would be for a client to log in once, and for the server
>to check for newmail periodically, then send it to the client.

There is no way that I am aware of in either the POP2 or the POP3
protocol for a client to check for new mail; the only way is to close
the POP connection and open a new one.  There are some auxillary
protocols to "check for new mail", some of which I believe are UDP
based.

>Would anyone care to share their experiences with large Mac or PC
>e-mail systems (100+ concurrent users).  Is the POP architecture
>suitable for large systems?  Is there a better one?

An alternative to the POP protocols is the IMAP protocol (RFC-1176).
IMAP provides both an explicit "check for new mail" and server-
controlled new mail notification.

You can get a distribution package on FTPHOST.CAC.WASHINGTON.EDU (IP
address 128.95.112.1) as imap/imap.tar.Z via anonymous FTP.  Stanford
has written a Mac client.  I wrote a NeXT and generic Unix client; I'm
working on a PC client for IMAP now.  The IMAP distribution also
includes a POP2 and POP3 server so you can leverage on your existing
POP software without incompatibilities (the underlying mail access
library is the same in all cases); the POP servers can also be IMAP
clients so any POP clients can access IMAP servers.

Whether you choose IMAP or POP depends a lot upon what you are trying
to do.  They are often mistakenly thought of as competing protocols,
but really have different functionalities.  POP is for downloading an
RFC-822 format mailbox to a client, whereas IMAP is for a client to
manage and retrieve data on a remote mailbox maintained on a server.

 _____   | ____ ___|___   /__ Mark ("Gaijin") Crispin "Gaijin! Gaijin!"
 _|_|_  -|- ||   __|__   /  / R90/6 pilot, DoD #0105  "Gaijin ha doko?"
|_|_|_|  |\-++-  |===|  /  /  Atheist & Proud         "Niichan ha gaijin."
 --|--  /| ||||  |___|    /\  (206) 842-2385/543-5762 "Chigau. Omae ha gaijin."
  /|\    | |/\| _______  /  \ FAX: (206) 543-3909     "Iie, boku ha nihonjin."
 / | \   | |__|  /   \  /    \MRC@CAC.Washington.EDU  "Souka. Yappari gaijin!"
Hee, dakedo UNIX nanka wo tsukatte, umaku ikanaku temo shiranai yo.