[comp.protocols.tcp-ip] Getting 4.2BSD to Understand Subnetted Network

tkevans@fallst.UUCP (Tim Evans) (01/05/91)

I'm adding 4 VAX 11/750's with *binary-only* 4.2BSD licenses
(previously running on an XNS network) to a TCP/IP
network.  The network is a Class B network, with a 255.255.255.0
netmask.  4.2BSD seems not to understand subnetting, so the
first such machine on the net sees only itself and a few
others (386's with an older TCP/IP) which also don't understand
subnetting.

What can be done with 4.2BSD to make things work?

PLEASE NOTE:  As indicated above, we do not have source for
4.2BSD.  (Long story, not appropriate here.)

Thank you.
--
UUCP:		{rutgers|ames|uunet}!mimsy!woodb!fallst!tkevans
INTERNET:	tkevans%fallst@wb3ffv.ampr.org

bob@MorningStar.Com (Bob Sutterfield) (01/06/91)

In article <1873@fallst.UUCP> tkevans@fallst.UUCP (Tim Evans) writes:
   What can be done with 4.2BSD to make [subnets] work?

Euthanasia? :-)

Proxy ARP can fool old IP implementations into dealing with modern
networks.  Get tut.cis.ohio-state.edu:pub/proxyarp/proxyarpd.shar.Z
and run it on something nearby that already knows about subnetting.

0004219666@MCIMAIL.COM (Bob Stine) (01/06/91)

>I'm adding 4 VAX 11/750's with *binary-only* 4.2BSD licenses
>(previously running on an XNS network) to a TCP/IP
>network.  The network is a Class B network, with a 255.255.255.0
>netmask.  4.2BSD seems not to understand subnetting, so the
>first such machine on the net sees only itself and a few
>others (386's with an older TCP/IP) which also don't understand
>subnetting.

>What can be done with 4.2BSD to make things work?

If your gateways can do proxy arp, then you could tell the 4.2 hosts that
they are attached to a net with mask 255.255.0.0.  Proxy arp (a.k.a. "the
arp hack," "promiscuous arp") is generally considered to be a kludge, however.

Otherwise, you could install host routes for all the hosts on remote subnets
with which the 4.2 needs to communicate.

Failing these workarounds, I think that you are wedged, although I will be
watching this space with interest.

- Bob Stine
  bstine@MCIMail.com