[comp.protocols.tcp-ip] How to spool print jobs to term srv

todd@Quotron.COM (Todd_Booth) (01/12/91)

My configuration is:

Host   term_server
 |        |  |
 +--------+  printer
  ethernet

I can setup the terminal server to accept data sent to it's ip address
at a given port and route that data to the printer.

But I can't find any software to run at the host end that will spool
printer data to a given ip address (term server) and port.  Has anyone
done this before or know how?

thanks, --todd

--
todd (booth)

todd@quotron.com 213 302-4368

dsc3rjs@nmdsc20.nmdsc.nnmc.navy.mil (Bob Stratton) (01/15/91)

   Date: 11 Jan 91 23:27:55 GMT
   From: usc!jarthur!nntp-server.caltech.edu!todd@ucsd.edu  (Todd_Booth)
   Sender: tcp-ip-relay@nic.ddn.mil

   But I can't find any software to run at the host end that will spool
   printer data to a given ip address (term server) and port.  Has anyone
   done this before or know how?

Try getting the file "tcpcon" from cisco's ftp host (ftp.cisco.com?),
it does just what you are describing (I think.) Bill, can you fill us
in on the proper host name???

Bob Stratton		| strat@ai.mit.edu       [Internet]
Stratton Systems Design	| dsc3rjs@vmnmdsc        [BITNET,only if you must]
			| +1 703 823 MIND        [PSTNet]
Disclaimer: The above opinions are mine alone - Who else would want them?

sjg@melb.bull.oz.au (Simon J Gerraty) (01/17/91)

In <todd.663636475@premises1> todd@Quotron.COM (Todd_Booth) writes:
>My configuration is:

>Host   term_server
> |        |  |
> +--------+  printer
>  ethernet

>I can setup the terminal server to accept data sent to it's ip address
>at a given port and route that data to the printer.

>But I can't find any software to run at the host end that will spool
>printer data to a given ip address (term server) and port.  Has anyone
>done this before or know how?

Yes I have done it.  A little piece of software called rlpd.
Picture this:

spool_dir -> lpd -FIFO-> rlpd -Ethernet-> term_server -> printer

rlpd reads the printcap entry for a given remote printer and
creates a FIFO using the name of the "print_device" that lpd
will write to.  Each rlpd daemon can serve multiple remote
printers.  Rlpd talks telnet to the terminal server.

The advantage of the approach is that _none_ of the standard
spooling software needs to be touched, and users are completely
unaware of the interposition of rlpd.  It also make efficient
use of TCP sessions.

The disadvantage is that by using a FIFO between lpd and rlpd
there is always the possibility for data loss due to a system
crash or daemon being killed.  Depending on the UNIX
implementation a FIFO may buffer from 4-64k data - more than
enough for several small print jobs to be stuck in limbo just
waiting for the system to crash.  This is a serious risk so
don't use this method to print your account statements :-)

It is currently in use by one of our customers here to handle
about 200 remote printers scattered all over Australia.

Sorry the software is not PD.  You can either e-mail me for
details or write your own - it isn't difficult.
--
Simon J. Gerraty		<sjg@melb.bull.oz.au>

#include <disclaimer,_witty_comment>