[comp.protocols.tcp-ip] PPP on STREAMS

paul@cscnj (Paul Moody) (01/08/91)

Does anyone know of an implementation of PPP or SLIP for STREAMS?
Preferably for ATT 386. Even more preferably with source.

Thanks in advance

Paul Moody
--
Paul Moody			UUCP: rutgers!cscnj!paul
Computer Sciences Corporation	PHONE: (908)562-6529

tin@smsc.sony.com (Tin Le) (01/09/91)

In article <1991Jan8.154358.32@cscnj> paul@cscnj (Paul Moody) writes:

>Does anyone know of an implementation of PPP or SLIP for STREAMS?
>Preferably for ATT 386. Even more preferably with source.

  Yes, I have one I found (I think) on ftp.ee.lbl.gov.

$ ls -l ppp*
-rw-r-----   1 tin      eng        98223 Oct 23 23:14 ppp-streams.tar.Z

  You can try getting it yourself if you have ftp.  If not, I can mail
  it to you.  I haven't had time to try it out yet (I am working on SVR4).

-- Tin

--
.----------------------------------------------------------------------
. Tin Le                    Work Internet: tin@smsc.Sony.COM

dag@fciva.FRANKLIN.COM (Daniel A. Graifer) (01/09/91)

In article <1991Jan8.154358.32@cscnj> paul@cscnj (Paul Moody) writes:
>Does anyone know of an implementation of PPP or SLIP for STREAMS?
>Preferably for ATT 386. Even more preferably with source.

If you are talking about paying for a commercial product, I believe Spider
TCP/IP (A British company, I don't have a contact for them because our copy
came bundled w/ our OS & hardware) is STREAMS based, and supports data-link
over X-25 and SLIP, as well as ethernet, and is STREAMS based.

They exhibited at InterOp (great show!), but I think I trashed my exhibitors
list.

Does Wollengong TCP/IP support other data-link layers besides ethernet as
a standard part of the package?

Good luck,
Dan
---
Daniel A. Graifer			Coastal Capital Funding Corp.
Sr. Vice President, Financial Systems	7900 Westpark Dr. Suite A-130
(703)821-3244				McLean, VA  22102
uunet!fciva!dag				fciva.FRANKCAP.COM!dag@uunet.uu.net

jbreeden@netcom.UUCP (John Breeden) (01/09/91)

In article <1991Jan8.154358.32@cscnj> paul@cscnj (Paul Moody) writes:

>Does anyone know of an implementation of PPP or SLIP for STREAMS?
>Preferably for ATT 386. Even more preferably with source.

AT&T SysV/386 R4's Win/TCP R4 has a SLIP driver (and other goodies).

--
 John Robert Breeden,
 netcom!jbreeden@apple.com, apple!netcom!jbreeden, ATTMAIL:!jbreeden

tin@smsc.sony.com (Tin "Man" Le) (01/10/91)

>In article <1991Jan8.154358.32@cscnj> paul@cscnj (Paul Moody) writes:
>Does anyone know of an implementation of PPP or SLIP for STREAMS?
>Preferably for ATT 386. Even more preferably with source.

  Previously I mentioned something called ppp-streams.tar.Z that contain
  an implementation of PPP for streams (and BSD/socket).  I made a mistake
  when I said it was available on ftp.ee.lbl.gov (actually that was where
  I found cslip source code, not PPP).

  You can get ppp-streams from UC Davis, ucdavis.ucdavis.edu [128.120.2.1],
  in the directory /dist/ppp.

-- Tin

--
.----------------------------------------------------------------------

larry@nstar.rn.com (Larry Snyder) (01/10/91)

jbreeden@netcom.UUCP (John Breeden) writes:

>AT&T SysV/386 R4's Win/TCP R4 has a SLIP driver (and other goodies).

how about PPP (compressed headers) SLIP?

--
   Larry Snyder, NSTAR Public Access Unix 219-289-0282 (HST/PEP/V.32/v.42bis)
                        regional UUCP mapping coordinator

In article <1991Jan9.195420.2011@smsc.sony.com> tin@smsc.sony.com (Tin "Man" Le) writes:
>>In article <1991Jan8.154358.32@cscnj> paul@cscnj (Paul Moody) writes:
>>Does anyone know of an implementation of PPP or SLIP for STREAMS?
>>Preferably for ATT 386. Even more preferably with source.
>
>  Previously I mentioned something called ppp-streams.tar.Z that contain
>  an implementation of PPP for streams (and BSD/socket).  I made a mistake
>  when I said it was available on ftp.ee.lbl.gov (actually that was where
>  I found cslip source code, not PPP).
>
>  You can get ppp-streams from UC Davis, ucdavis.ucdavis.edu [128.120.2.1],
>  in the directory /dist/ppp.

  I've been told that the ppp stuffs on ucdavis is for PC only, using
  KA9Q.  Sorry about that.

  One more update.  The response to my posting has been more than I have
  time to handle.  Thanks to Paul Vixie, ppp-streams.tar.Z is now on
  gatekeeper.dec.com (or should be soon).  I've mailed it off to him.
  Just keep checking on there, in /pub/net/ppp*

  One other place to check is tut.cis.ohio-state.edu, in /pub/ppp
  That contain ppp-streams, modified for SunOS 4.1.

-- Tin

--
.----------------------------------------------------------------------

tin@smsc.sony.com (Tin "Man" Le) (01/11/91)

In article <1991Jan09.203715.2498@nstar.rn.com> larry@nstar.rn.com (Larry Snyder) writes:
>jbreeden@netcom.UUCP (John Breeden) writes:
>
>>AT&T SysV/386 R4's Win/TCP R4 has a SLIP driver (and other goodies).
>
>how about PPP (compressed headers) SLIP?

   PPP != SLIP

   They are two different things.

   SLIP = Serial Line IP

   PPP = Point to Point Protocol

   The original SLIP was a straight forward encapsulation type of
   IP onto serial line.  Van Jacobson later added header compression
   to SLIP (CSLIP, available at ftp.ee.lbl.gov).

   PPP is a newer protocol, designed to get around problems in SLIP.

-- Tin

--
.----------------------------------------------------------------------
. Tin Le                    Work Internet: tin@smsc.Sony.COM
. Sony Microsystems              UUCP: {uunet,mips}!sonyusa!tin
. Work: (408) 944-4157      Home Internet: tin@szebra.uu.net

paul@cscnj (Paul Moody) (01/12/91)

Many thanks to all who have responded. We had intended to go with
S5R4. Its nice to know that slip comes with it.

Paul
--

fks@FTP.COM (Frances Selkirk) (01/12/91)

>  PPP is a newer protocol, designed to get around problems in SLIP.

Specifically, PPP masks characters (in a given range) that a modem
might interpret as control characters and masks them. It transmits the
masked character preceded by a character which signals to PPP that the
following character is masked. The receiving PPP implementation then
decodes the masked character. Because of this, PPP can actually be somewhat
slower than SLIP, but it is more dependable. Assumably, that dependability
should save you time in the long run.

Frances Kirk Selkirk		 info@ftp.com	           (617) 246-0900
FTP Software, Inc.		 26 Princess Street, Wakefield, MA  01880

BILLW@MATHOM.CISCO.COM (William "Chops" Westfield) (01/12/91)

It is also worth reminding people that PPP support does not necessarilly
imply that header compression is supported.  Header compression support
is orthagonal to whether you run SLIP or PPP...

BillW
-------

BILLW@MATHOM.CISCO.COM (William "Chops" Westfield) (01/13/91)

    >  PPP is a newer protocol, designed to get around problems in SLIP.

    [Stuff about masking dangerous characters]

This is only one of the problems PPP was designed to solve.  Off the
top of my head, here are some others:

  PPP has a CRC covering the whole packet, SLIP uses the IP/TCP/UDP
  checksum, which was (a) never intended to detect the types of errors
  likely to occur in async transmission, and (b) not always present
  (NFS comes to mind).

  PPP is designed to support protocols other than IP.

  PPP includes a negotiation protocol to negotiate "stuff", like the
  address of each end, compression, encryption, authentication, protocols,
  and so on.  Many people seem to think that PPP implies support of TCP
  header compression, but this is just an option that can be negotiated.

  PPP is defined for both Sync and Async communications.  Things like
  async PPP to sync PPP translation are theoretically possible.

On the dim side, PPP is very new, so not all of its advantages are
exploited by the implementations currently available.  Currently,
IP is the only protocol widely supported (and the only one that has
made it to RFC status, I think.) Hopefully, time will change this.

Bill Westfield
cisco Systems.
-------

mshiels@tmsoft.uucp (Michael A. Shiels) (01/13/91)

But does PPP negotiate things like full/half duplex connection?  If it's half
duplex do some sort of polling back and forth to say who can transmit.

tcs@ccci.UUCP (Terry Slattery) (01/14/91)

> On the dim side, PPP is very new, so not all of its advantages are
> exploited by the implementations currently available.

While PPP solves some of the SLIP problems and is blessed with RFC status,
there is still a problem with *real* multi-vendor support.  I cannot get a
vendor supported, dial-up, serial link protocol for interconnecting
workstations, routers, and terminal servers.  When I asked vendors at
Interop about PPP, many shrugged it off.  There wasn't even the vague "We're
working on it" that was heard about OSPF, Frame Relay, and all the other new
stuff.  No-one is interested in SLIP support due to the problems already
mentioned on this list, and I agree with them.

Besides the use of connecting remote workstations to central sites, there is
a real need to build backup connections for diagnosing and working around
WAN link failures.  A few places can afford to purchase switched 56K
service, but most perfer to live with one circuit, and rely on some method
of accessing the remote equipment when this one link dies.  Multiple dial-up
links could be brought up to replace the failed link if the OSPF or IGRP
routing protocol support of multi-path were used.

One of the problems is that FDDI, Frame Relay, OSPF, and all the new stuff
is 'sexy' and is getting the majority of the resources at workstation and
router vendors.  Until enough customers start asking for PPP, they will
continue to put it on the back burner.

I don't recall ever hearing about a PPP interoperability test.  Perhaps
Interop should consider setting up a demonstration of PPP at its next
conference?

Consider this my vote for vendors to support PPP in their products.

        -tcs

Terry Slattery
Chesapeake Computer Consultants, Inc.           Network and Unix Consulting
2816 Southaven Drive                            (301) 970-8076
Annapolis, MD  21401

scooper@max4.llnl.gov (Steve Cooper) (01/15/91)

>I don't recall ever hearing about a PPP interoperability test.  Perhaps
>Interop should consider setting up a demonstration of PPP at its next
>conference?

At Interop '90 there was a small "Solutions Showcase (tm) Demonstration"
on PPP.  It had cisco, Telebit, 3Com, and Network Systems communicating
at 56K bps synchronous and Telebit, INTERACTIVE, and Xylogics communicating
at 9.6K and 19.2K bps asynchronous.  There is also a nice little article
discussing SLIP and PPP in the January 7, 1991 _UNIX Today!_.

>Consider this my vote for vendors to support PPP in their products.
>
>        -tcs

You can add my vote, too.

Stephen P. Cooper                      | scooper@aracmax1.llnl.gov (now)
who works at but does not represent    | cooper10@llnl.gov (soon)
Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory |

jbvb@FTP.COM (James B. Van Bokkelen) (01/16/91)

    At Interop '90 there was a small "Solutions Showcase (tm) Demonstration"
    on PPP.  It had ... and Telebit, INTERACTIVE, and Xylogics communicating
    at 9.6K and 19.2K bps asynchronous....

We had PPP code there, but not all implementations interoperated as of that
date.  The list of implementations that I know to interoperate is larger now,
but I'd still recommend "try before you buy".

James B. VanBokkelen		26 Princess St., Wakefield, MA  01880
FTP Software Inc.		voice: (617) 246-0900  fax: (617) 246-0901

vjs@rhyolite.wpd.sgi.com (Vernon Schryver) (01/16/91)

In article <9101131946.AA28696@ccci>, tcs@ccci.UUCP (Terry Slattery) writes:

> I don't recall ever hearing about a PPP interoperability test.  Perhaps
> Interop should consider setting up a demonstration of PPP at its next
> conference? ...

There was talk of an INTEROP PPP test.  I heard at first it would be
restricted to "commercial implementations that would be available to end
users by Oct. 1990", or words to that effect.  That sort of requirement has
a chilling effect on what is necessarily a low profit product.  (How much
would you pay for a PPP implementation?  How many copies at that price
would be required for my employer to recover my time to port or implement
it and to pay for stocking, distributing, and advertising it?  How many
copies would be required to recover the INTEROP fees to participate in the
demo?)  By the end of the 2nd FDDI Hot Staging, I was told the rules were
much looser.  Perhaps I just misunderstood at first.

Trade show "interoperability tests" don't measure what you may think they
measure.  They do not ensure that two random companies' products will work
usefully together in your network.  Instead they show that the vendor
representatives can avoid killing each other and the show management during
the hot stagings and that things can be made to look good during the show.
They are marketing events.  (I have been involved with INTEROP demos for
two years.  I cannot answer any questions about what I may have observed at
any booth other than my employer's, and so can say nothing about observed
interopability or problems.)

Vernon Schryver,   vjs@sgi.com

john@loverso.leom.ma.us (John Robert LoVerso) (01/17/91)

In article <1991Jan14.082326@max4.llnl.gov> scooper@aracmax1.llnl.gov writes:
> At Interop '90 there was a small "Solutions Showcase (tm) Demonstration"
> on PPP. [...] and Telebit, INTERACTIVE, and Xylogics communicating
> at 9.6K and 19.2K bps asynchronous.

This is slightly incorrect; Xylogics pulled out and did not show
PPP on the Annex.  The glossies were already printed, however.  In
the same way, I believe FTP was a late addition and did have PPP
running over PC/TCP.  Finally, there were several interoperability
problems between vendors.

../John [formerly of Xylogics]

--
John Robert LoVerso, Concurrent Computer Corp, loverso@westford.ccur.com