[comp.protocols.tcp-ip] Problems w/ PPP and setsid

mclay@vato.ae.utexas.edu (Robert McLay) (01/16/91)

When I use PPP over a serial line between a sun4/330 and a sun 4/20
both running sunOS 4.1, I get the following error message:

ppp: setsid(): Not owner.

and the connection over the modem hangs up.   I haven't been able to
figure out what I'm not the owner of.  Is there some discussion
somewhere which will explain about setsid(2)?  The man page is too
terse for me to understand.

Here is the details of the set up I'm using.  I have the PPP from
tut.cis.ohio-state.edu from pub/ppp-sparc4.1.tar.Z.

I have an account on the work machine (sun4/330) called Pmclay

Pmclay:79SXQ7UAnIvZY:4:8:PPP start Robert McLay:/tmp:/usr/local/etc/pppstart

Here is what pppstart looks like:

#!/bin/sh
/usr/bin/mesg n
stty -tostop hupcl
exec /usr/local/etc/ppp -p 128.83.152.29:

Heres what ppp is set to:

-rwsr-xr-x  1 root     uucp       147456 Jan 10 12:59 /usr/local/etc/ppp*

Here is exactly what happens when I try to login by hand.

Script started on Thu Jan 10 13:23:07 1991
bash$ tip tb
connected

RRING

CONNECT 9600

navier.ae.utexas.edu login: Pmclay
Last login: Thu Jan 10 13:20:53 on ttya
SunOS Release 4.1_PSR_A (NAVIER) #10: Wed Jan 2 13:47:27 CST 1991
~ppp: setsid(): Not owV~ai2#6J	(ZgOZo-wY	'J4]
|?#j	h7u:#<z$%Us&2eW*kl>T>s4cxS* ?),,l9;/z8af2i	=R{2o.jU)GT{\YlB
wD@$m|B~A'i{qCf*}^
Kq/D";[b.89q!4-N
]1b>qbb4?]x7ZCh$Ts8]/RLc6$k:0D(*_Z$pcg
W%Vy$o
?kw{%dh Ehl0LnS
NO CARRIER

Lost carrier.
[EOT]

[EOT]

script done on Thu Jan 10 13:24:38 1991

Note that if I delete the exec in pppstart it does work.

Any ideas?

Robert McLay                   | When you have a problem, put NO in front of
Manager CFD Lab                | it and you have:  NO PROBLEM.
Dept ASE-EM                    |
University of Texas at Austin  |           -- Eric Beckman's 2nd Law

mclay@wilbur.ae.utexas.edu     |

kannan@OAR.NET (Kannan Varadhan) (01/17/91)

>>> From: mclay@vato.ae.utexas.edu (Robert McLay)
>>> Date: 16 Jan 91 15:19:19 GMT

> When I use PPP over a serial line between a sun4/330 and a sun 4/20
> both running sunOS 4.1, I get the following error message:
>
> ppp: setsid(): Not owner.
>
> and the connection over the modem hangs up.   I haven't been able to
>
> Here is the details of the set up I'm using.  I have the PPP from
> tut.cis.ohio-state.edu from pub/ppp-sparc4.1.tar.Z.

I made those changes, and forwarded them to Karl Fox, they work
quite fine for me.

When you run ppp by hand, you will not be able to set the session
id.  This is because your login tty is not a controlling terminal etc.

Check if the ppp executable is setuid root, so as to be able to
manipulate the controlling terminal etc.

I am puzzled because the message seems to be one generated by a
perror() statement.  The ppp-sparc4.1.tar.Z code does not have a
perror() statement associated with the setsid() code.  Can you forward
the relevant sections of code so I can take a look at it?

Kannan

-=-
Kannan Varadhan, Internet Engineer (OARNet),		+1 614 292 4137
Ohio Supercomputer Center, 1224, Kinnear Rd.,  Columbus, OH 43212

guy@b11.ingr.com (Guy Streeter) (01/19/91)

mclay@vato.ae.utexas.edu (Robert McLay) writes:

>When I use PPP over a serial line between a sun4/330 and a sun 4/20
>both running sunOS 4.1, I get the following error message:

>ppp: setsid(): Not owner.

>and the connection over the modem hangs up.
[...]
>Here is what pppstart looks like:

>#!/bin/sh
>/usr/bin/mesg n
>stty -tostop hupcl
>exec /usr/local/etc/ppp -p 128.83.152.29:

Take the 'exec' out.  When ppp is compiled to use setsid() it should
not be exec-ed.  "Not Owner" is this particular case apparently means
"Already Owner", and why it is an error is beyond my ken, but removing
the 'exec' fixes it.

--
Guy Streeter,
streeter@ingr.com