[net.news.group] my request for the source to dtree

rick@iddic.UUCP (Rick Coates) (10/26/84)

Our contact with the outside world was down for a while, and I don't think
that this got out.  My apologies if it did.

Rick Coates
--------
<>
I have received the source for 4.2 dtree from a couple of places, thanks
to all who responded. This utility seems to be well received by users.

I am amused by a couple of replies I received, however, which could be
a micro-commentary on the net: (I posted to net.wanted with a comment
about how I was being a good boy and not posting to net.sources)

> Date: 12 Oct 1984 0321-EST (Friday)
> Subject: Re: dtree wanted
>
> Wrong, Rick!  The proper newsgroup for postings requesting software is
>
> 	net.sources.wanted
>
> just created two weeks ago....

> Henry C. Mensch  |  User Confuser |  Purdue University User Services
> {decvax|ucbvax|sequent|icalqa|inuxc|uiucdcs|ihnp4}!pur-ee!pucc-i!ag5
>              "How sweet it is to be loved by you . . ."
>                                 -- James Taylor

> Subject: Re: dtree wanted
>
> I don't have a dtree version for 4.2, but I believe I saved the
> 4.1 version if you need that.
>
> Incidently, the "proper" place for "Software Wanted" requests is
> net.wanted.sources.
>
> Dave Schnepper
> ios!daves

Help! Is it net.sources.wanted or net.wanted.sources? God help me if I post
to the wrong newsgroup again! :-)

Net.sources.wanted makes the most sense, I think, since that way people who
read net.sources would get it.

				Carry on. or off. whatever.

				Rick Coates
				tektronix!iddic!rick

ken@turtlevax.UUCP (Ken Turkowski) (10/29/84)

> Help! Is it net.sources.wanted or net.wanted.sources? God help me if I post
> to the wrong newsgroup again! :-)
>
> Net.sources.wanted makes the most sense, I think, since that way people who
> read net.sources would get it.

Unfortunately, it seems that the group has been created as
net.wanted.sources.  I suggest that every site put the
following lines to their /usr/lib/news/aliases file:

net.unix.wizards net.unix-wizards
net.trivia net.games.trivia
net.periph net.periphs
net.puzzles net.puzzle
net.term net.info-terms
net.vlsi net.lsi
net.sources.wanted net.wanted.sources

These newsgroups seem to be easily confused.
--
Ken Turkowski @ CADLINC, Palo Alto, CA
UUCP: {amd,decwrl,flairvax,nsc}!turtlevax!ken

chuqui@nsc.UUCP (Zonker T. Chuqui) (10/30/84)

In article <566@turtlevax.UUCP> ken@turtlevax.UUCP (Ken Turkowski) writes:
>> Net.sources.wanted makes the most sense, I think, since that way people who
>> read net.sources would get it.
>
>Unfortunately, it seems that the group has been created as
>net.wanted.sources.

The reason it was created as net.wanted.sources instead of
net.sources.wanted was because net.sources.wanted would have been archived
anything net.sources was expired and that seemed a silly thing to do. The
alias file entry 'net.sources.wanted net.wanted.sources' is a good idea.

chuq

--
From the Department of Bistromatics:                   Chuq Von Rospach
{cbosgd,decwrl,fortune,hplabs,ihnp4,seismo}!nsc!chuqui  nsc!chuqui@decwrl.ARPA

  I'd know those eyes from a million years away....