[comp.protocols.tcp-ip] CMU SNMP and/or opinions

rinehart@aedc-vax.af.mil ("Kathy Rinehart c60191 x3899") (01/22/91)

Greetings to all,

	I am looking for a public domain SNMP package. I understand
Carnegie-Mellon has written a package, but I am not sure how or where to look
for it.  If there are any other public domain packages available, I am not
aware of them.

	(1)   Are there any others available?

	(2)   Where would I find CMU SNMP, or any others?  Could I do an
	      anonymous FTP and get them, or is some other method required?

	(3)   Are there any phone numbers of developers, administrators, etc.
	      who may be familiar with this package?  Are there periodic
	      updates?  [Basically, I am asking if this package resembles
	      NCSA Telnet in any manner regarding telephone support, and if so
	      how?}

	(4)   Does anyone have any opinions they would like to share, caveats
	      to pass on, etc.?

	Thank you in advance for any opinions/advice/pointers you can provide.

							Kathy Rinehart
							Rinehart@AEDC-VAX.AF.MIL

pte900@jatz.aarnet.edu.au (Peter Elford) (01/23/91)

In article <9101221513.AA00178@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU>, rinehart@aedc-vax.af.mil ("Kathy Rinehart c60191 x3899") writes:
|> Greetings to all,
|>
|> 	I am looking for a public domain SNMP package. I understand
|> Carnegie-Mellon has written a package, but I am not sure how or where to look
|> for it.  If there are any other public domain packages available, I am not
|> aware of them.
|>
|> 	(1)   Are there any others available?

MIT have done one as well.

|> 	(2)   Where would I find CMU SNMP, or any others?  Could I do an
|> 	      anonymous FTP and get them, or is some other method required?

anonymous ftp to lancaster.andrew.cmu.edu. I can't check the file names,
directories, etc. because routing seems to have come a little unstuck in
the US at the moment (at least if you're coming from Australia!).

|> 	(3)   Are there any phone numbers of developers, administrators, etc.
|> 	      who may be familiar with this package?  Are there periodic
|> 	      updates?  [Basically, I am asking if this package resembles
|> 	      NCSA Telnet in any manner regarding telephone support, and if so
|> 	      how?}

They provide an e-mail address to which you can send queries, but like the
vast majority of public domain software packages, there is no telephone
support.

|> 	(4)   Does anyone have any opinions they would like to share, caveats
|> 	      to pass on, etc.?

Well written code, lots of example (and useful) applications, widely used,
easy to write new applications of your own (ie. good/simple API), and it
can parse foreign MIBs.

Peter Elford,                           	e-mail: P.Elford@aarnet.edu.au
Network Co-ordinator,	 			phone: +61 6 249 3542
Australian Academic Research Network,		fax: +61 6 247 3425
c/o, Computer Services Centre,			post: PO Box 4
Australian National University			      Canberra 2601
Canberra, AUSTRALIA

sw0l+@ANDREW.CMU.EDU ("Steven L. Waldbusser") (01/24/91)

Excerpts from internet.tcp-ip: 21-Jan-91 CMU SNMP and/or opinions Kathy
R. c. x3899@aedc-v (955)

> 	I am looking for a public domain SNMP package. I understand
> Carnegie-Mellon has written a package, but I am not sure how or where to look
> for it.  If there are any other public domain packages available, I am not
> aware of them.

CMU SNMP is available for anonymous FTP from lancaster.andrew.cmu.edu in
the file pub/cmu-snmp1.0.tar (or get the newer beta version in
pub/snmp1.1b.tar).

There are two other public domain packages, MIT and ISODE:
MIT: allspice.lcs.mit.edu, file "pub/snmp/snmp.tar"
ISODE: uu.psi.com, file pilot/src/...

  The CMU code continues to be enhanced and updated.  There is no
mailing list of users (although I consider this occasionally), but there
are several hundred users, many of whom read the snmp mailing list (as I
do).  There is no telephone support.  If you need support of this level,
I'd suggest one of the many fine commercial packages such as the one
from SNMP Research.

  Predictably, my opinions about the CMU package are pretty high, so I
won't bother to comment.

Steve