[comp.protocols.tcp-ip] Another PCNFS & PKTD.SYS problem

niklas@appli.se (Niklas Hallqvist) (01/24/91)

fks@vaxeline.COM (Frances Selkirk) writes:

>In article <1261@appli.se> niklas@appli.se (Niklas Hallqvist) writes:
>>I've installed the Packet driver compatibility kit for PCNFS because
>>I thought I'd be able to run PCNFS through it, but still allowing other
>>software to use the Ethernet adapter I'm using (3C503).  Specifically
>>I want to be able to use WinQVTnet under Windows 3.  Well, at this
>>point I get error 10, TYPE_INUSE.  It seems that only one software
>>package at a time can get the TCP/IP-packets coming in, regardless of
>>TCP port.

>That is correct. The packet driver sorts packets by type, sending all
>IP packets to the IP stack, and packets of other types to their respective
>stacks. Once one IP stack has "registered" with the packet driver, another
>IP stack cannot use it, however, a product based on another protocol type,
>such as Netware (IPX), can use it.

Ok, so does anyone know if there is a possibility to redirect the packet
driver's packets to another IP stack temporarily?  This problem can't be
rediscovered very seldom, I think, so maybe someone solved it before?
A possible way would be to have a 'push' & 'pop' executables, who operated
on a registration stack.  Only the registration on top of the stack would
get the IP packets.  Then one could have a .bat file saying something like:

push IP
telbin
pop IP

when one wanted to start telbin, and PC/NFS had control over the packetdriver.
Of course NFS wouldn't be accessible from within telbin.  How does this sound?

--
Niklas Hallqvist	Phone: +46-(0)31-40 75 00
Applitron Datasystem	Fax:   +46-(0)31-83 39 50