[comp.protocols.tcp-ip] OS/2 via Ethernet to Suns?

pwoollar@crc.ac.uk (Peter Woollard x3296) (01/24/91)

We would like to connect a Pc running OS/2 to a Sun file server running SunOs 4.0.3
via Ethernet. Does anyone know of the existance of software to do this?

I have tried many companies, but have only had minimal information, so I thought that I would try the News.

Thanks for any help,

Peter Woollard

Computing Services Section,		 Janet:       P.Woollard@UK.AC.CRC
MRC-Clinical Research Centre,		 Elsewhere:   P.Woollard@CRC.AC.UK
Watford Rd, HARROW, Middx, HA1 3UJ, U.K. EARN/Bitnet: P.Woollard%CRC@UKACRL
Tel 081-869 3296    Fax 081-423 1275     Usenet: ...!mcsun!ukc!mrccrc!P.Woollard

jlk@siesoft.co.uk (Jim Kissel) (01/25/91)

In article <473@carbon.crc.ac.uk> pwoollar@crc.ac.uk (Peter Woollard x3296) writes:

>We would like to connect a Pc running OS/2 to a Sun file server running SunOs 4.0.3
>via Ethernet. Does anyone know of the existance of software to do this?

Try TCP/IP for OS/2 from IBM.  Program number 5798-RXW  Part # 66F5612
If you use this you will also require IBM's EE and Communication Manager.
The package has about everything you could want for TCP.

RIP,FTP,SNMP,SMTP,RCP,RSH,NFS.........

I haven't evaluated it yet, but the manuals indicate a complete package.
Jim Kissel                            Telephone +44 344 863 222
Siemens Nixdorf Information Systems                 344 850 461 (Direct line)
Systems Development Group             Fax       +44 344 850 452
Siemens Nixdorf House                 Domain     jlk@siesoft.co.uk
Oldbury, Bracknell, Berkshire                    j.kissel@xopen.co.uk
RG12 4FZ  Great Britain               UUCP       ....{ukc,athen}!siesoft!jlk

backman@vaxeline.COM (Larry Backman) (01/25/91)

In article <473@carbon.crc.ac.uk> pwoollar@crc.ac.uk (Peter Woollard x3296) writes:

>We would like to connect a Pc running OS/2 to a Sun file server running SunOs 4.0.3
>via Ethernet. Does anyone know of the existance of software to do this?
>
>I have tried many companies, but have only had minimal information, so I thought that I would try the News.

At the current time the onlyOS/2 TCP products that I know of that support
NFS are IBM's TCP/IP V1.1 & our PCTCP for OS/2 V1.1.  IBM's is a shipping
product, while FTP Softwares product is in beta.

If you are only looking for file transfer, then 3COM, Ungerman-Bass,
Wollongong, Essex Software, and probably some others that I have ommitted,
will provide FTP to and from your Sun.

				Larry Backman
				backman@ftp.com