[comp.protocols.tcp-ip] NFS for Mac...

MOSS@cs.umass.EDU ("Eliot Moss, GRC A351B, x5-4206 15-Jun-1989 0900") (06/15/89)

While it may not be what folks are looking for, A/UX (Apple's version of
Unix) includes NFS server and client, as well as the usual complement of
TCP/IP servers and clients (Telnet, FTP, etc.). The newer versions of A/UX
allow regular Mac OS programs to be run under A/UX, too. As a separate piece
of software you can get X11 for A/UX as well.

					Eliot Moss
					Asst Prof
					Dept of Comp and Info Sci
					Univ of Mass
					Amherst, MA 01003
					Moss@cs.umass.edu

BIWINE@VAXSAR.VASSAR.EDU (Bill Wine) (01/11/91)

>Hello, all:   Does anybody knows of a program to access NFS servers from
>              a Mac. PDD/Shareware if possible... I have been looking all
>              FTP sites, and the only thing i have found are NNTP readers..
>
>Thanx for your time...
>Gus Cavazos
>gcavazos at vmtecmex.cem.itesm.mx
>gcavazos at vmtecmex.bitnet

I am not aware of a program that does this, but the GatorBox from Cayman
lets a Mac access NFS servers as if they were Appleshare volumes.

Bill Wine
biwine@vassar.edu

verber@pacific.mps.ohio-state.edu (Mark Verber) (01/13/91)

There are MacOS native implimentations sold by Intercon and by TWG.
IMHO the product from Intercon is nicer.  I seem to recall that the
Intercon price is under $300.

Cheers,
Mark

david@twg.com (David S. Herron) (01/22/91)

In article <D751258AF9DF80094B@vaxsar.bitnet> BIWINE@VAXSAR.VASSAR.EDU (Bill Wine) writes:
>>Hello, all:   Does anybody knows of a program to access NFS servers from
>>              a Mac. PDD/Shareware if possible... I have been looking all
>>              FTP sites, and the only thing i have found are NNTP readers..
>I am not aware of a program that does this, but the GatorBox from Cayman
>lets a Mac access NFS servers as if they were Appleshare volumes.
>
>Bill Wine
>biwine@vassar.edu

TWG has NFS client software for Mac's.  Led to an interesting conversation
when the guy who'd been doing it proudly told me he had file systems mounted
from two different remote systems, and I was not impressed.  See, it was
(more-or-less) the "first time" that had been done on a MacIntosh while I
had been doing it for years on Unix machines ...  ;-)

Anyway.. MacPathway is the product.  Contact sales at (415) 962-7202.
--
<- David Herron, an MMDF & WIN/MHS guy, <david@twg.com>
<- Formerly: David Herron -- NonResident E-Mail Hack <david@ms.uky.edu>

amanda@visix.com (Amanda Walker) (01/26/91)

InterCon Systems Corp. also sells a Macintosh NFS client product called
"NFS/Share."  For more information, contact them at +1 703 709 9890.

Disclaimer: I used to work for InterCon, but I am not involved with this
product except as a happy user.
--
Amanda Walker <amanda@visix.com>
Visix Software Inc.