[comp.protocols.tcp-ip] MacTelnet Solutions

smiles@ferrari.nmc.ed.ray.com (Kevin Ruddy) (01/18/91)

I know of NCSA Telnet for the Mac, and I understand there's a Stanford
solution, too.  Are there any others?  I'm interested in commercial
solutions also.

Thanks in advance,
Kevin Ruddy
smiles@ferrari.nmc.ed.ray.com

rgoldstone@OAVAX.CSUCHICO.EDU (Robin Goldstone) (01/19/91)

In article <9101172157.AA27711@ferrari.nmc.ed.ray.com>,
smiles@ferrari.nmc.ed.ray.com (Kevin Ruddy) writes:
>I know of NCSA Telnet for the Mac, and I understand there's a Stanford
>solution, too.  Are there any others?  I'm interested in commercial
>solutions also.

Synergy Software just announced new releases of VersaTerm and VersaTerm PRO
that will support TCP/IP through the communications toolbox.  They will be
distributed with MacTCP.  VersaTerm is around $90, VTP is several hundred
dollars.  The new versions (VT 4.5, VTP 3.5) are not yet available but I saw
them at MacWorld.  Should be available in about 1 month.  I have been using
VersaTerm for several years and IMHO it does the best job of VT100 emulation
of any comm software I have used.

Synergy Software: (215) 779-0522
Robin Goldstone, California State University, Chico  Computing Services
rgoldstone@oavax.csuchico.edu

xxmartn@lims03.lerc.nasa.gov (01/30/91)

Intercon Systems makes a VT52, VT102, VT240, Tektronics 4014, VT 3278 (mod
2-5) emulator called TCP/CONNECT II. All the emulations are built into this
package.  It supports TCP/IP and MacTCP.

NOTE: The developer who originally wrote NCSA TELNET (Gaige Paulsen)
started this company. TCP/CONNECT II is essentially NCSA Telnet but with
alot more options and alot more features.

Intercon Systems can be reached at (703) 709-9890.

cozza@cshl.org (Steve Cozza) (01/31/91)

In article <1991Jan29.184338.25059@eagle.lerc.nasa.gov> xxmartn@lims03.lerc.nasa.gov writes:

>Intercon Systems makes a VT52, VT102, VT240, Tektronics 4014, VT 3278 (mod
>2-5) emulator called TCP/CONNECT II. All the emulations are built into this
>package.  It supports TCP/IP and MacTCP.

We obtained a copy of TCP/Connect II for review here.  It performed
excellently over Ethernet using MacTCP and over a modem connection with
their SLIP implementation. The only reason we returned the product was
because we were looking for a SLIP (or PPP) driver for the Mac that would
allow us to run MacX over dial-in lines.  Their SLIP implementation did not
do this. I was told that this was due to limitations in the Mac OS, and might
be fixed in system 7.0.  Out of the othe networking packages we have used
I found TCP/Connect to have many features not normally found in just one
package.

Steven Cozza
Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory
Bungtown Road