[comp.protocols.tcp-ip] VM TCP-IP communication setup

cheek@wrdis01.af.mil (Charles Cheek) (02/01/91)

I have an 8232 with an Ethernet connection attached to 3081.  I have
two virtual lines defined for TCP-IP.  Why only two lines and can I add more?

dboyes@brazos.rice.edu (David Boyes) (02/01/91)

In article <61@wrdis01.af.mil> cheek@wrdis01.af.mil (Charles Cheek) writes:
>I have an 8232 with an Ethernet connection attached to 3081.  I have
>two virtual lines defined for TCP-IP.  Why only two lines and can I add more?

Two CTC definitions are all you need; the bandwidth provided by
the CTC connection is much higher than the 8232 can drive anyway.
One is used as the base device for data transfer and the other
CTC is used for control purposes.

Logical terminal devices created by FAL aren't like VTAM or BTAM
in that "ports" or "connections" are not pre-defined and centrally
managed. FAL receives a dynamic connection request from a tn3270
client and creates an LDEV on the fly, no intervention or
configuration on your part necessary.

If you're running SP or HPO, the number of connections is limited
by the 16M VM size; about 400-500 connections. If you're running
in XA mode and have VM/TCP rel 2 (yes, it's available!) and get
the XA-exploitative version from IBM level 1, the number of
connections goes up quite a bit. I haven't received my V2 tapes
yet, so I haven't gotten a chance to mess with it yet.

Now, if you're running MVS TCP, all of the above may be wrong; I
don't have one of those to play with.

--
David Boyes       |The three most dangerous things in the world:
dboyes@rice.edu   |  1) a programmer with a soldering iron,
                  |  2) a hardware type with a program patch, and
"Delays, delays!" |  3) a user with an idea.