[comp.protocols.tcp-ip] SCO TCP/IP copy protection

gd@aprm (Gary Dunn) (01/21/91)

Text:

When I first saw this in the group I thought it an unfortunate rumor,
but the note from "Sharky" tells me its true.

That SCO should build copy protection into their TCP/IP is an
abomination.  PC users fought for years to rid commercial software of
this pest, and won.

I had considered SCO to be the most desireable UNIX on a PC i386
platform, mostly due to wide acceptance in the marketplace, but if this
is how they treat their customers I won't go near it.

Gary Dunn, USARPAC DCSRM IMO                 |
Ft. Shafter LAN: aprm%gd               _   _ |
DDN: aprm%gd@shafter-emh2.army.mil    /.\ /.\|
Work phone:  (808) 438-2716           \_/|\_/
FAX: (808) 438-8954                      |
                                        /

        Democracy is based upon the conviction
        that there are extraordinary possibilities
        in ordinary people.
                  Harry Emerson Fosdick

 --- End of Message -----------

mpd@anomaly.SBS.COM (Michael P. Deignan) (01/27/91)

gd@aprm (Gary Dunn) writes:

>That SCO should build copy protection into their TCP/IP is an
>abomination.  PC users fought for years to rid commercial software of
>this pest, and won.

I believe that SCO's "copy protection" is nothing more than insuring that
multiple serialized copies do not talk to one another. IE: You can't
hook up two machines w/ the same serial number.

In case you didn't know, other vendors, like Novell, do the same thing.
Try hooking up two SFT 2.1+ fileservers and see what type of nasty
messages you get... /8^)

MD
--
--  Michael P. Deignan                      / They're not "bombs".
--  Domain: mpd@anomaly.sbs.com            /  They're "gifts".

wilker@gauss.math.purdue.edu (Clarence Wilkerson) (01/28/91)

 SUN had some scheme like this for PC-NFS. It would seem
to me that the only legitimate gripe is how it screws
up the network.
.
Clarence Wilkerson

jacob@gore.com (Jacob Gore) (01/28/91)

/ comp.protocols.tcp-ip / mpd@anomaly.SBS.COM (Michael P. Deignan)
/ Jan 26, 1991 /
>I believe that SCO's "copy protection" is nothing more than insuring that
>multiple serialized copies do not talk to one another. IE: You can't
>hook up two machines w/ the same serial number.

Which is still a pain in the neck for the legitimate user: if you have a
hundred machines, you need to keep a hundred sets of floppies for the times
when the software on one of the machines needs to restored, and then you
need to find the right set of floppies.

It is still copy protection in all its glory: make the life of your paying
customers miserable forever so that you can give a determined pirate a few
days of work before they crack it.

It is still crippleware.

It is still better to go to another vendor.

Jacob
--
Jacob Gore		Jacob@Gore.Com			boulder!gore!jacob

ronald@robobar.co.uk (Ronald S H Khoo) (01/29/91)

jacob@gore.com (Jacob Gore) writes:

> Which is still a pain in the neck for the legitimate user: if you have a
> hundred machines, you need to keep a hundred sets of floppies

No, the floppies are identical.  The only thing you have to do is
	# /etc/brand <unique_serial_number> <unique_password> /etc/slink

to each machine after copying the floppies (or tape).  Still a pain though...
I got a long list of the equivalent serial_number/password pairs
for our client sites' OS's on the wall in the room next door.

> It is still copy protection in all its glory: make the life of your paying
> customers miserable forever so that you can give a determined pirate a few
> days of work before they crack it.

This remains true.

> It is still crippleware.

Well, maybe slightly limping :-)

--
Ronald Khoo <ronald@robobar.co.uk> +44 81 991 1142 (O) +44 71 229 7741 (H)

mpd@anomaly.SBS.COM (Michael P. Deignan) (01/30/91)

jacob@gore.com (Jacob Gore) writes:

>Which is still a pain in the neck for the legitimate user: if you have a
>hundred machines, you need to keep a hundred sets of floppies for the times
>when the software on one of the machines needs to restored, and then you
>need to find the right set of floppies.

Only one set of floppies, with multiple serialization numbers and
activation keys, would be necessary.

>It is still copy protection in all its glory: make the life of your paying
>customers miserable forever so that you can give a determined pirate a few
>days of work before they crack it.

The added 5 seconds of "misery" is certainly nothing that most people cannot
deal with.

>It is still crippleware.

I wouldn't classify it as "crippleware".

>It is still better to go to another vendor.

Spoken like the true "want something for nothing" trooper.

MD
--

jim@tiamat.fsc.com (Jim O'Connor) (02/05/91)

In article <1991Jan29.232326.4284@anomaly.SBS.COM>, mpd@anomaly.SBS.COM (Michael P. Deignan) writes:
> jacob@gore.com (Jacob Gore) writes:
>
> >Which is still a pain in the neck for the legitimate user: if you have a
> >hundred machines, you need to keep a hundred sets of floppies for the times
> >when the software on one of the machines needs to restored, and then you
> >need to find the right set of floppies.
>
> Only one set of floppies, with multiple serialization numbers and
> activation keys, would be necessary.

Since this is true, I know I would be a whole lot happier with SCO if they
would sell TCP/IP licenses, i.e. a piece of paper with an additional serial
number/activation key combination.  My job as a sysadmin would be much easier
if I could buy one full product, including documentation and media, and then
buy X additional licenses (hopefully, at a somewhat reduced price, since there
is no media or docs involved) to use when installing on machines 2 to X.

The same would be true of the ODT packages (which falls under the same topic
since the TCP/IP is bundled in).  Can you imagine proposing a
site with 100 ODT workstations, and have to figure out what to do with 4400
floppy disks?
James B. O'Connor			jim@tiamat.fsc.com
Ahlstrom Filtration, Inc.		615/821-4022 x. 651