[comp.protocols.tcp-ip] Problems with NCSA Telnet 2.3b14

ce1zzes@prism.gatech.EDU (Eric Sheppard) (02/01/91)

I just can't seem to get Telnet to work directly with my ethernet card.
The best I could get was a connection to a remote host.  If I called
telnet without a hostname (which should start server mode), the machine
locks up or reboots.  What am I doing wrong?  I suspect an interrupt
conflict, but the same thing happens with no other cards in the machine.
playing with the specification section of the config.tel file almost
always locks the machine.

Particulars:  80286 machine, 3Com 3c503 Ethernet card.  Also installed
are a memory board, serial/parallel board, 2nd serial card, and bus mouse
board (set to IRQ5).

Pertinent portion of config.tel file:

hardware=3c503
address=dc000
interrupt=3
ioaddr=310
wire=thick

Any pointers appreciated.

Eric

wilker@gauss.math.purdue.edu (Clarence Wilkerson) (02/01/91)

This may sound silly, but earlier copies of Telenet came with
a batch file TELNET.BAT, which defaulted with blank input to
some local machine address at NCSA. This causes telnet to try that
address, which means a long wait for timeout.
  FTP.BAT on the other hand will just sit quitly after giving
the FTP> prompt. Telnet does seem to have the command line
interface that unix telnet has.
Clarence Wilkerson

jim@remtech.com (Jim Levie) (02/04/91)

ce1zzes@prism.gatech.EDU (Eric Sheppard) writes:

>I just can't seem to get Telnet to work directly with my ethernet card.
>The best I could get was a connection to a remote host.  If I called
>telnet without a hostname (which should start server mode), the machine
>locks up or reboots.  What am I doing wrong?  I suspect an interrupt
>conflict, but the same thing happens with no other cards in the machine.
>playing with the specification section of the config.tel file almost
>always locks the machine.

...stuff deleted...

>Eric

I've recently encountered the same problem and found a solution.
Initially I also thought that it was an interrupt/address clash.
Further investigation revealed that it appears that there is a bug in
the 3c503 routines in telnet and ftp utilities.  Sometimes telnet
would work, sometimes not and sometimes the PC would lock up during or
after a successful connection.  PC's with other ethernet cards didn't
have the problem.

There is a solution... Installing the packet driver for the 3c503 card
appears to have eliminated the problem for us.
--
=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+
 Jim Levie                                  email: jim@chimera.remtech.com

klefstad@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu (Sue Klefstad) (02/07/91)

ce1zzes@prism.gatech.EDU (Eric Sheppard) writes:

>I just can't seem to get Telnet to work directly with my ethernet card.
>Particulars:  80286 machine, 3Com 3c503 Ethernet card.  Also installed

I second the recommendation to use the Clarkson packet drivers.
Telnet 2.3bxx is supposed to work directly with the 3c503 card
but I've yet to find a machine in which it does.

--
-- Sue
Sue Klefstad    Ill. Natural History Survey    klefstad@uiuc.edu