[comp.protocols.tcp-ip] How widespread is RFC931 on the internet?

nsayer@uop.edu (Nick Sayer) (02/08/91)

We've just put in an RFC931 authd daemon on our system.
Some experimental connection attempts to other sites'
auth ports resulted in refused connections, which
leads me to believe that not many sites have authd
set up. Is this the case?

For those of you unfamiliar with the concept, it allows
a system on one end of a TCP stream to ask the system
on the other end what user (by user ID string) is
responsible for the stream. For example, if a user
telnets to some site and manages to break into someone's
account, a record could be made not only of the site from
where he came, but the account he came from. This
makes the potential audit trail a little easier to
follow.

I am considering hacking the in.telnetd at our site
so that it will insist on having authd set up at
sites telneting in, but if not many sites have an
auth daemon running, there's not much point.

--
Nick Sayer               | Disclaimer: "Don't try this at home, | RIP: Mel Blanc
mrapple@quack.sac.ca.us  | kids. This should only be done by    |   1908-1989

In article <27b1bd10.20dc@uop.uop.edu> nsayer@uop.edu (Nick Sayer) writes:
>We've just put in an RFC931 authd daemon on our system.
>Some experimental connection attempts to other sites'
>auth ports resulted in refused connections, which
>leads me to believe that not many sites have authd
>set up. Is this the case?

Seems pretty likely.  Authd may not be trivial to implement without
modifying the TCP implementation.  For instance, on BSD Unix it would have
to grovel through the kernel's socket table, then search through all the
process file tables looking for references to the socket; also, more than
one process may have the same socket open, and the processes may be running
under different userids, so it's not clear which userid should be returned.

>I am considering hacking the in.telnetd at our site
>so that it will insist on having authd set up at
>sites telneting in, but if not many sites have an
>auth daemon running, there's not much point.

I think this idea is misguided.  The RFC931 protocol is extremely insecure;
if the remote host isn't secure, the returned information isn't very
reliable.  This is probably another reason why no one implements RFC931.
--
Barry Margolin, Thinking Machines Corp.

barmar@think.com
{uunet,harvard}!think!barmar