[comp.protocols.tcp-ip] SLIP

heker@JVNCA.CSC.ORG (Sergio Heker) (06/16/87)

Folks,

I need information on SLIP.  What kind of hardware supports it?
Implementations?  Any body working on it?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

				-- Sergio

weiser.pa@XEROX.COM.UUCP (06/16/87)

Some public domain slip implementations can be found via anonymous ftp
on host mimsy.umd.edu in files sun-sl.shar and seismo-slip.shar (or
names very close to that.)
-mark

heker@JVNCA.CSC.ORG (Sergio Heker) (06/16/87)

Thanks everybody.

Sergio Heker				tel:	(609) 520-2000
ARPA:	"heker@jvnca.csc.org"		BITNET:	"heker@jvnc"
JOHN VON NEUMANN NATIONAL SUPERCOMPUTER CENTER, JVNCnet Network Manager

JBVB@MX.LCS.MIT.EDU.UUCP (06/17/87)

FTP Software sells a SLIP implementation for the IBM PC under MS/DOS.  There
is also Rick Adams' public domain driver for Vax and Sun Unix (4.2 and Sun
1.0/2.0).  I have heard of it being used by Dave Mills' fuzzball gateways.

jbvb

Mills@UDEL.EDU (06/21/87)

James,

Not quite. The fuzzballs have their own SLIP driver, which is integrated with
the routing system. It's written in (hush) assembly code for the PDP11. These
animals do not C a lot and Unix not at all.

Dave

spp@zion.berkeley.edu (Steve Pope) (08/19/87)

I've seen references here and there to "SLIP", which I believe
stands for "Serial Link Internet Protocol".  It is used,
I understand, to run IP links over duplex serial lines or modems.

Can anyone tell me a little more about SLIP?
Thanks in advance.

steve pope

stev@VAX.FTP.COM (Stev Knowles) (04/03/88)

slip is an acronym fo Serial Line Internet Protocol. yes, one can even
run IP over a lowly serial line. this does have it's useful aspects.
this allows geographicaly disjoint LANS to have direct routing across
between all the machine on all the lans. when you are connected
properly, routing can be used to allow you to connect from your
machine (the client) to any machine the gateway knows how to find. i
run a slip line to a C-gateway at MIT (my internet link) and on an
in-house machine for testing or our commercial inplementation. slip is
useful for a limited amount of things. it will not replace a real
network connection (*trust me*). we see *real world* throughput of
80-85 percent of the line speed. this isnt bad, but an ethernet or
Pronet10 is a much better connection. i have been told about people
seeing 97 percent line troughput, with no data compression. (both of
these figures are for *data*, not *packets*) seems to me that this
does not leave enough space for the headers, but i dont remember all
of the numbers now.

ok, slip is good for connecting machines (or, better yet, networks) on
diffrent campuses, or getting one machine along way from a everyone
else on to the network. but it wont work very well for a local network.
(am i confused, or didnt DECNet (*gasp*) run on serial lines when it
first camme out?)

excuse me, i ramble. corrections to the above are welcome, flames can
be flushed.

stev knowles

brian@wb6rqn.UUCP (Brian Lloyd) (04/06/88)

Drew,

Allowing an LLP (SLIP in this case) to "use" information contained in a
ULP header violates the concept of layering and it invites disaster
should the ULP header change in the future.  As the specifier of the LLP
you have no control over ULP header content.

On the other hand it appears that "new" SLIP will negotiate options.
This implies that both ends know how to negotiate.  Since there is no
way for "old" SLIP to negotiate with "new" SLIP it might be possible to
use that information (the lack of negotiation) to flag this as an "old"
slip link.  When a "new" SLIP driver attempts to elict a response from
an "old" SLIP driver, a valid response seems unlikely.  A reasonable
number of attempts can be made before the "new" SLIP driver decides to
speak "old" SLIP.

One more thing -- we have been trying to contact you for some time now
to no avail.  Could you please ACK this messags so that I know that you
have received it?  Could you also give me another address, i.e.
telephone number, where I can reach you?  Thanks.

Brian Lloyd, President
Sirius Systems, Inc.
(301) 540-2066
brian@wb6rqn.uucp
Share and enjoy!

ospwd@emory.uucp (Peter Day {EUCC}) (06/23/88)

Does anyone know where I can find a specification for SLIP, the
Serial Line IP facility?

Please respond directly to me and I will summarize.

Peter Day
Internet: ospwd%emoryu1@relay.cs.net
Bitnet: ospwd@emoryu1
UUCP: gatech!emoryu1!ospwd

jochen@iraul1.ira.uka.de (Jochen Grobholz) (12/13/88)

Hello Netland !

I'm looking for more informations about slip. Planned for implementing
on a HP825 System V.3. Does any adaption of slip to System V.3 exist ??
Please write to urle@ira.uka.de

DEDOUREK@UNB.CA (03/14/89)

A couple of years ago there was some activity to add capabilities
to the SLIP (Serial Line IP) protocol for TCP/IP.  Was this
pursued?  Could someone give me a reference?  Is there any current
activity in this area?

[][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][]

John DeDourek
dedourek@unb.ca      -- Registered Domain Name
DEDOUREK@UNB         -- BITNET / NETNORTH (Canada)
dedourek@unb.bitnet  -- For mailers which only know how to get to
                        bitnet this way.

pquiring@ncrorl.Orlando.NCR.COM (Powell Quiring) (03/30/89)

I'm looking for protocol descriptions for all known implementations
of slip.  I'm also looking for any sources for slip preferrably public
domain.

Powell Quiring
pquiring@Orlando.NCR.COM	..!ncrlnk!ncrorl!pquiring

VOICE: (407) 333-9250,     VOICEplus: 656-1219,      FAX: (407) 333-0050

jarmond@ingr.com (Don Jarmon) (09/28/89)

I am looking for a source for SLIP public domain software.

--
          Don Jarmon         ...uunet!ingr!b8!dj4104!don      (UUCP)
       ( 205 ) 772-4104         b8!dj4104!don@ingr.com      (INTERNET)

doug@herbert.uucp (Doug Phillipson 5-0134) (02/06/90)

	Hello world. I have SLIP running between PC's and SUN's
but it won't work between SUN's.  Has anyone done this using the
SLIP stuff that comes with PC-NFS? Am I missing something?  SUN says
they don't support it but I just know someone must be doing it. I
am trying to get rid of a bridge.  Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Douglas Phillipson (Please use E-mail I will post summary)

postel@VENERA.ISI.EDU (04/05/90)

Angela:

See RFC-1055, and see also RFC-1134.

--jon.

bob@MorningStar.Com (Bob Sutterfield) (11/27/90)

In article <1990Nov26.162533.5418@engin.umich.edu> gilgalad@caen.engin.umich.edu (Ralph Seguin) writes:
   Does anybody have a version of SLIP or PPP with SLFP (Serial Line
   Framing Protocol) support in it?  Merit ... does SLFP.

Is SLFP HDLC?  If not, is SLFP documented in a readily-accessible
place?  RFC1171 (section 3) specifies that PPP uses HDLC-style framing
unless LCP negotiates otherwise.  Is it PPP if it's not basically
HDLC?

jbvb@FTP.COM (James B. Van Bokkelen) (11/29/90)

       Does anybody have a version of SLIP or PPP with SLFP (Serial Line
       Framing Protocol) support in it?  Merit ... does SLFP.

    Is SLFP HDLC?  If not, is SLFP documented in a readily-accessible
    place?

SLFP is another way of encapsulating IP on serial lines that is neither SLIP
nor PPP.  It has never been written up in an RFC, and if anything exists
besides the source code, it is probably an internal MIT LCS document (John?
Jerry?).  In any case, it was originally supported in the MIT PCIP, but may
not have been maintained since 1985 or so.  Last summer, Merit asked me for
a Packet Driver "class" for SLFP, and I assigned 15 decimal.  I haven't seen
any drivers yet, nor any patches for existing DOS TCP/IP packages.

James B. VanBokkelen		26 Princess St., Wakefield, MA  01880
FTP Software Inc.		voice: (617) 246-0900  fax: (617) 246-0901

zeeff@b-tech.ann-arbor.mi.us (Jon Zeeff) (11/29/90)

>    Is SLFP HDLC?  If not, is SLFP documented in a readily-accessible
>    place?
>
>SLFP is another way of encapsulating IP on serial lines that is neither SLIP

"slfp.info" is available for anon ftp in ais.org:/pub.

--
Jon Zeeff (NIC handle JZ)	 zeeff@b-tech.ann-arbor.mi.us

MAUKONEN%ucf1vm.cc.ucf.edu@ncsuvm.ncsu.edu (12/04/90)

I remeber hearing that there ar dedicated "boxes" for SLIP routing.
Can somebody please send me some information on this. I need a place to
start looking.

Much Thanks in advance.

Chris Maukonen
maukonen@uc

romkey@ASYLUM.SF.CA.US (John Romkey) (12/04/90)

   Date: Wed, 28 Nov 90 12:34:37 -0500
   From: jbvb@ftp.com  (James B. Van Bokkelen)
   Sender: jbvb@ftp.com
   Repository: babyoil.ftp.com
   Originating-Client: plug.ftp.com

	  Does anybody have a version of SLIP or PPP with SLFP (Serial Line
	  Framing Protocol) support in it?  Merit ... does SLFP.

       Is SLFP HDLC?  If not, is SLFP documented in a readily-accessible
       place?

   SLFP is another way of encapsulating IP on serial lines that is neither SLIP
   nor PPP.  It has never been written up in an RFC, and if anything exists
   besides the source code, it is probably an internal MIT LCS document (John?
   Jerry?).

Uh, I think it was described in an appendix of the PC/IP programmer's
manual ("MIT IBM PC TCP/IP PC/IP Programmer's Manual" or something
like that with too many acronyms in it). I don't have a copy anymore.
		- john romkey			Epilogue Technology
USENET/UUCP/Internet:  romkey@asylum.sf.ca.us	FAX: 415 594-1141

zeeff@b-tech.ann-arbor.mi.us (Jon Zeeff) (12/05/90)

>Uh, I think it was described in an appendix of the PC/IP programmer's
>manual ("MIT IBM PC TCP/IP PC/IP Programmer's Manual" or something
>like that with too many acronyms in it). I don't have a copy anymore.

You can get the file slfp.info via anon ftp from ais.org.  There is
also a copy of the tunnel driver and a slfp "driver" I did for it.

--
Jon Zeeff (NIC handle JZ)	 zeeff@b-tech.ann-arbor.mi.us

rsc@merit.edu (Richard Conto) (12/05/90)

In article <9012040113.AA00194@asylum.sf.ca.us> romkey@asylum.sf.ca.us writes:
>	  Does anybody have a version of SLIP or PPP with SLFP (Serial Line
>	  Framing Protocol) support in it?  Merit ... does SLFP.
>
>       Is SLFP HDLC?  If not, is SLFP documented in a readily-accessible
>       place?
>
>   SLFP is another way of encapsulating IP on serial lines that is neither SLIP
>   nor PPP.  It has never been written up in an RFC, and if anything exists
>   besides the source code, it is probably an internal MIT LCS document (John?
>   Jerry?).
>
>Uh, I think it was described in an appendix of the PC/IP programmer's
>manual ("MIT IBM PC TCP/IP PC/IP Programmer's Manual" or something
>like that with too many acronyms in it). I don't have a copy anymore.

There's an FTP'able version on UM.CC.UMICH.EDU (and UB.CC.UMICH.EDU) in
MNET:MIT.SLFP . Use ASCII (text) file transfers.  I couldn't find a copy
on any of the anonymous ftp servers that I'm aware that Merit runs.

--- Richard Conto
	rsc@merit.edu
	Richard_Conto@um.cc.umich.edu
	USERW014@UMICHUM (bitnet)

protocom@terre (protocom-Laurent turcotte) (02/10/91)

I'm considering using (SLIP) via FTP to transfer files from a Macintosh to Sun
Sparc station. I know 4.3BSD unix implements SLIP.

I would be using TCP/Connect II 1.0 from Intercon Systems Corporation on the
Macintosh side.

The Sun would call the Macintosh via modem (SLIP) and establish an FTP session.

	(1) is SLIP reliable enough over noisy modem lines? (I know that the TCP and IP layers contains checksum block validations) or should I use something
 like ZMODEM or KERMIT.

	(2) is the question of speed which would be faster (SLIP/FTP, XMODEM or KERMIT)

	(3) which is the most flexible? I think SLIP since you can almost do anything with IP but send me your opinions.

Thanks (any feedback can help...)

Larry Turcotte
--
Larry Turcotte                           Internet:protocom@dmi.usherb.ca