Date: Sat,  9 Feb 91 21:19:02 -0500 (EST)
From: "Douglas F. DeJulio" <dd26+@andrew.cmu.edu>
To: vcerf@NRI.Reston.VA.US
Subject: Re: SLIP for NeXT

The company NeXT doesn't support it, but individuals have ported "dial
up ip" to the NeXT.  I've got it installed and will be shortly setting
it up to replace my Sun2 as our house's SLIP router, if I can.
- --
Doug DeJulio
dd26+@andrew.cmu.edu (ATK/AMS)
ddj@zardoz.club.cc.cmu.edu (NeXT)

------- Message 2

To: vcerf@NRI.Reston.VA.US
Date: Sat, 09 Feb 91 11:22:16 PST
From: Van Jacobson <van@ee.lbl.gov>

Vint,

I don't know if they're distributing their versions but I've heard
of two NeXT cslip ports, one by Louie Mamakos (louie@sayshell.umd.edu)
and one by Morris Meyer (Morris_Meyer@NeXT.COM).

 - Van

------- Message 3

Date: Sat, 9 Feb 91 22:17:36 EST
From: Pat Barron <pat@orac.pgh.pa.us>
To: vcerf@NRI.Reston.VA.US
Newsgroups: comp.protocols.tcp-ip

In article <9102082128.aa16873@NRI.NRI.Reston.VA.US> you write:
>Does NeXT have SLIP or PPP support?

There is a dial-up SLIP package available for the NeXT.  It can be FTP'ed from
next.com (or some machine in that domain - I'm not sure, since I don't use
it myself).  As I remember, it was either written or ported by Cal Thixton
at the NeXT Pittsburgh sales office.  You might try calling him for more
details (I don't have the number handy, but you can get it from Directory
Assistance in area code 412).

- --Pat.

------- Message 4

Date:     Sat, 9 Feb 91 9:53:06 MST
From: Jacob Gore <jacob@blackbox.gore.com>
To: vcerf@NRI.Reston.VA.US
Newsgroups:  comp.protocols.tcp-ip

/ comp.protocols.tcp-ip / vcerf@NRI.RESTON.VA.US / Feb  8, 1991 /
> Does NeXT have SLIP or PPP support?

Not yet.

Jacob
- --
Jacob Gore		Jacob@Gore.Com			boulder!gore!jacob

------- Message 5

Date: Sat, 9 Feb 91 14:26:14 EST
From: bob@morningstar.com
To: vcerf@NRI.Reston.VA.US
Subject: SLIP for NeXT
Cc: Jamey Laskey <jamey@morningstar.com>

We have a PPP product under development for the NeXT, among others,
and due out Real Soon Now.  We're reluctantly considering adding
optional SLIP support - how important is that to you?  Contact Jamey
Laskey of Morning Star Technologies at +1 800 558 7827 or +1 614 451
1883.

------- Message 6

Date: Mon, 11 Feb 91 23:22:58 PST
From: "Eric P. Scott" <eps@sutro.sfsu.edu>
To: vcerf@NRI.Reston.VA.US

>Does NeXT have SLIP or PPP support?

Not officially, but [129.18.18.3]:pub/Slip/* suggests that
this may change.
					-=EPS=-

------- Message 7

Date: Mon, 11 Feb 91 13:23:38 -0500
From: Rick Adams <rick@uunet.uu.net>
To: vcerf@NRI.Reston.VA.US

I put some of the NeXT engineers in touch with the Telebit engineers
who are doing the NetBlazer. NeXT was very interested and in fact got
an early beta test NetBlazer.

- --rick

------- Message 8

Date: Mon, 11 Feb 91 07:43:18 MST
From: "Mitchel W. Sukalski" <mws@juggler.lanl.gov>
To: vcerf@NRI.Reston.VA.US

Vint-

I've asked that same question on comp.sys.next and of our NeXT gurus here.
No, there is no SLIP or PPP support for 2.0; moreover, there is no System
V STREAMS support to port more conventional implementations.  One of our
folks here, though, has been told by some folks at NeXT that they are working
on a PPP implementation.

Mitch Sukalski
LANL

------- Message 9

To: vcerf@NRI.Reston.VA.US
Cc: mts@terminator.cc.umich.edu
Date: Sun, 10 Feb 91 19:27:38 -0500
From: "Michael T. Stolarchuk" <mts@terminator.cc.umich.edu>

I'm asking the same question right now.  If you get any answers about PPP
please let me know.

I can already answer the question about slip.  Someone from NeXT ought to
answer directly, but who knows what they read.  The slip changes are kern-loader
loadable; they can be integrated without making direct kernel modifications.
If you get no answer from next, I'll send you the names (mail addresses) of
people you can bug.

... you can have what I've got (slip).

mts.
michael t. stolarchuk