[comp.protocols.tcp-ip] traffic monitoring by net snooping

chris@endgame.gsfc.nasa.gov (Chris Shenton) (02/14/91)

I recently saw this clever program from Silicon Graphics which watches
traffic (of a specified protocol, I think) on the ether, and draws lines
connecting machine names -- kind of like a dynamic traffic mapper. They
called it netsnoop or netlook or some such...

I'd like to try writing something like this but need pointers to the TCP/IP
calls.  I assume I'd be interested in the packet level stuff, just reading
the TO and FROM addresses from the ip headers... Any pointers?

Thanks in advance. Mail and I'll summarize.

--
chris@asylum.gsfc.nasa.gov, ...!uunet!asylum.gsfc.nasa.gov!chris, PITCH::CHRIS

dbjoyner@eos.ncsu.edu (David Joyner) (02/15/91)

In article <CHRIS.91Feb13165923@endgame.gsfc.nasa.gov>,
chris@endgame.gsfc.nasa.gov (Chris Shenton) writes:
> I recently saw this clever program from Silicon Graphics which watches
> traffic (of a specified protocol, I think) on the ether, and draws lines
> connecting machine names -- kind of like a dynamic traffic mapper. They
> called it netsnoop or netlook or some such...
>
> I'd like to try writing something like this but need pointers to the TCP/IP
> calls.  I assume I'd be interested in the packet level stuff, just reading
> the TO and FROM addresses from the ip headers... Any pointers?
>
> Thanks in advance. Mail and I'll summarize.

I am also interested in this subject.  I do know that it is possible
to put an ethernet adapter into "promiscuous mode" where it receives
all packets on the network.  I do not know exactly how this is done
(I think via ioctl calls) or where the packets are queued/stored by the
ethernet adapter.

This doesn't exactly seem like the best newsgroup for information on
ethernet, but what is???

+===========================================================================+
| David B. Joyner (dbjoyner@eos.ncsu.edu) | North Carolina State University |
|   "Typically supercomputers use a single microprocessor." -Boston Globe   |
+===========================================================================+

jfjr@mbunix.mitre.org (Freedman) (02/15/91)

In article <1991Feb15.065610.1371@ncsu.edu> dbjoyner@eos.ncsu.edu (David Joyner) writes:
>In article <CHRIS.91Feb13165923@endgame.gsfc.nasa.gov>,
>chris@endgame.gsfc.nasa.gov (Chris Shenton) writes:
>> I recently saw this clever program from Silicon Graphics which watches
>> traffic (of a specified protocol, I think) on the ether, and draws lines
>> connecting machine names -- kind of like a dynamic traffic mapper. They
>> called it netsnoop or netlook or some such...
>>
>> I'd like to try writing something like this but need pointers to the TCP/IP
>> calls.  I assume I'd be interested in the packet level stuff, just reading
>> the TO and FROM addresses from the ip headers... Any pointers?
>>
>> Thanks in advance. Mail and I'll summarize.

   I too am interested in any kind of ethernet snooping with a Unix
preferably BSD flavor machine - promiscuousness (sp?) is right up
my alley.

                               Jerry Freedman,Jr