Dual Manager            Netlabs
Netmon III              SNMP Research
LAN Systems 9100 NMC    Hughes
OverVIEW                Proteon
NCC                     Unisys
NMS                     cisco
WIN/MGT                 Wollongong
XNETMON III             SNMP Research

Has anyone done an in-depth comparison of the various software
products that run as X-applications and are generally supported
on a Sun?

Has any magazine done any sort of comparative analysis on this
new market segment?  Please save me from having to create yet
another stupid scorecard!

Thanks,
Hank

Sabo@DOCKMASTER.NCSC.MIL (09/26/90)

The second version of the SNMP product guide has just been published by
McGraw Hill's Datapro Research.  This guide covers all of the SNMP NMSs
which were on the market as of a few weeks ago.  Contact Jill
Huntington-Lee at 1 (800) 328-2776 extension 2444.  Rumor has it that
copies of this report will be distributed free of charge at the Datapro
booth during INTEROP 90.

L.  Michael Sabo

perand@admin.kth.se (Per Andersson) (09/29/90)

In article <9009241517.AA08899@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU> HANK@TAUNIVM.BITNET (Hank Nussbacher) writes:
>SNMP product comparison time:
>
>Product name            Company Name
>------------            ------------
>Dual Manager            Netlabs
>Netmon III              SNMP Research
>LAN Systems 9100 NMC    Hughes
>OverVIEW                Proteon
>NCC                     Unisys
>NMS                     cisco
>WIN/MGT                 Wollongong
>XNETMON III             SNMP Research

There doesn't seem to be anybody here who is willing to share experiences
with any of these products, I tried last month. Well, a few, but nothing
that makes me satisfied. (Which means I'll have to try a couple myself, I
think). Anyway, you are missing a few.

DEC mcc			Digital (VMS and Ultrix)
Sunnet Manager		Sun
Openview		HP (PC-based)
Something?              Vitalink ( I think it's a repackaged HP product )

What I am missing is configuration informations, such as which of these
products can use imported MIBs. I have been reading the Hughes manual, and
as far as I can tell that one won't. A scorecard maybe is a good idea.
What should be in it ?

Per
--
Per Andersson (perand@admin.kth.se, perand@stacken.kth.se)
Trying a new job at Bofors Electronics,

marciano@prang.UUCP (marciano pitargue) (10/03/90)

>Something?              Vitalink ( I think it's a repackaged HP product )
>--
>Per Andersson (perand@admin.kth.se, perand@stacken.kth.se)
>Trying a new job at Bofors Electronics,
>still reading news at the Royal Institute of Technology
>Time, got the time tick tick tickin' in my head - Joe Jackson

it's called the Wan Manager.  it's is _not_ a repackaged HP product.

/marciano					marciano@vitalink.com
						vitam6!marciano@uunet.uu.net
						...uunet!!vitam6!marciano

disclaimer:  noun.  1. a denial or disavowal of legal claim:  relinquishment of
or formal refusal to accept an interest or estate.  2. a writing that embodies
a legal disclaimer.

HANK@VM.BIU.AC.IL (Hank Nussbacher) (02/10/91)

I am in need of a product comparison between various SNMP management
products.  I am aware of the following products:

Product name            Company Name
------------            ------------
ACS4800 NMS             ACC
Dual Manager            Netlabs
Netmon III              SNMP Research
LAN Systems 9100 NMC    Hughes
LANCE/NMS               Micro Technology
OverVIEW                Proteon
NCC                     Unisys
NetCentral              cisco
SNMP Tools              FTP Software
SNMP                    Nysernet
SunNet Manager          Sun
Watchtower              Intercon Systems
WIN/MGT                 Wollongong
XNETMON III             SNMP Research

I have heard that Datapro has recently conducted a comparison - does
anyone know where I can buy that study?  Any other comparisons available?

My personal checklist includes the following points (leaving off the more
common ones):

- able to run on a b/w X-terminal
- able to connect via 5-6 X-windows sessions to the SNMP management system
  so that more than one person can manage the network
- able to click on a network icon and telnet over immediately to that box
- able to generate statistical reports based on IP port divisions

These requirements are in addition to the standard SNMP features one would
expect from an SNMP package.

Thanks,
Hank

Sabo@DOCKMASTER.NCSC.MIL (02/14/91)

Yes, Datapro has completed a study of SNMP-based management stations and
will soon release a report on SNMP-based agent.  The SNMP manager report
is often given away free of charge.  Contact Jill Huntington-Lee at
(800) DATAPRO ex 2444.

L.  Michael Sabo

erick@sunee.waterloo.edu (Erick Engelke) (02/16/91)

In article <910213222818.739698@DOCKMASTER.NCSC.MIL> Sabo@DOCKMASTER.NCSC.MIL writes:
>Yes, Datapro has completed a study of SNMP-based management stations and
>will soon release a report on SNMP-based agent.  The SNMP manager report
>is often given away free of charge.  Contact Jill Huntington-Lee at
>(800) DATAPRO ex 2444.

A non-800 number or E-mail address would be nice for non US sites.

Erick
Erick Engelke                                       Watstar Computer Network
Watstar Network Guy                                   University of Waterloo
Erick@Development.Watstar.UWaterloo.ca              (519) 885-1211 Ext. 2965

Sabo@DOCKMASTER.NCSC.MIL (02/19/91)

>>Yes, Datapro has completed a study of SNMP-based management stations
and >>will soon release a report on SNMP-based agent.  The SNMP manager
report >>is often given away free of charge.  Contact Jill
Huntington-Lee at >>(800) DATAPRO ex 2444.  >> > >A non-800 number or
E-mail address would be nice for non US sites.  > >Erick > MCIMAIL.COM

L.  Michael Sabo