[comp.protocols.tcp-ip] SLIP with an ANNEX

km@mathcs.emory.edu (Ken Mandelberg) (02/19/91)

The Annex terminal servers run SLIP (and soon CSLIP), but employ a scheme
where the remote and local IP address for each port have to be preset.

This means on the remote SLIP node (a Sun in my case), the local side of
the SLIP interface will vary and in no way identify the workstation. Also
in my case the SLIP is the only local interface other than the loopback.

Does anyone see a way for me to assign a permanent IP address to the
workstation, and have the connections from the workstation appear to
come from that address, not the variable Annex chosen address. Unless
I'm missing something, this is exactly what would happen if I had a second
remote workstation connected by ethernet to the first, and routing
through it accross the SLIP link.

Frankly, the Annex scheme seems a bit out of date. The host based SLIPs
seem to handle this with a sliplogin program that can set the IP address
of the SLIP link from an id keyed database. Its a little surprising that
Xylogics hasn't done something like this, they do have host based support
for other data.

--
Ken Mandelberg      | km@mathcs.emory.edu          PREFERRED
Emory University    | {rutgers,gatech}!emory!km    UUCP

griff@Xylogics.COM (Scott Griffiths) (02/20/91)

In article <1991Feb18.113952@mathcs.emory.edu> km@mathcs.emory.edu (Ken Mandelberg) writes:
>The Annex terminal servers run SLIP (and soon CSLIP), but employ a scheme
>where the remote and local IP address for each port have to be preset.
>
>This means on the remote SLIP node (a Sun in my case), the local side of
>the SLIP interface will vary and in no way identify the workstation. Also
>in my case the SLIP is the only local interface other than the loopback.

--- deleted --

>Frankly, the Annex scheme seems a bit out of date. The host based SLIPs
>seem to handle this with a sliplogin program that can set the IP address
>of the SLIP link from an id keyed database. Its a little surprising that
>Xylogics hasn't done something like this, they do have host based support
>for other data.

Xylogics has available an unsupported version of our erpcd program which
supports dial-up slip as you request. You supply a simple user lookup
routine. After identifying the user to the annex security subsystem, the
incoming port is re-configured as a slip port with the user matched IP
address. Upon modem hangup, the port is configured back to  CLI mode.
This code is ftp-able via anonymous ftp to xylogics.com in

~ftp/annex/unsupported/acp

or by requesting it via email to annex-support@xylogics.com.

Scott Griffiths					phone: (617) 272-8140 x332
Xylogics Annex Technical Support		email: griff@xylogics.com
Newsgroups: comp.protocols.tcp-ip
Subject: Re: SLIP with an ANNEX