[comp.protocols.tcp-ip] third-party traceroute

woods@ncar.ucar.edu (Greg Woods) (02/15/91)

I have heard that there is a third-party version of "traceroute" available
(third-party traceroute means the ability to find out how a packet travels
from point A to point B when you are at neither point A nor point B). Is
this true, and if so, where can I obtain it?

--Greg

spgdrp@GANGES.UCOP.EDU (02/16/91)

    I have heard that there is a third-party version of "traceroute" available
    (third-party traceroute means the ability to find out how a packet travels
    from point A to point B when you are at neither point A nor point B). Is
    this true, and if so, where can I obtain it?

There is a public domain version of traceroute posted on zerkalo.harvard.edu.
I don't know if this is the canonical source.
You should know that this program requires modifying your kernel.

woods@ncar.ucar.edu (Greg Woods) (02/19/91)

In article <9102152346.AA04371@ganges.ucop.edu> spgdrp@GANGES.UCOP.EDU writes:
>There is a public domain version of traceroute posted on zerkalo.harvard.edu.
>I don't know if this is the canonical source.
>You should know that this program requires modifying your kernel.

  I found it on ftp.cc.berkeley.edu. Whether or not it requires kernel mods
depends on what OS you are running. We run SunOS 4.1 here and I was able
to compile and run third party traceroute without any kernel mods. Thanks
to all who responded.

--Greg

enger@SEKA.SCC.COM (Robert M. Enger) (02/20/91)

This message is empty.