[comp.protocols.tcp-ip] Tcp/Ip on Token-ring

mbh@copsw33.UUCP (Marc Hasson) (02/13/91)

Does anyone know of a vendor which manufactures Token-ring cards for a
VMEbus machine?  So far I've confirmed (verbally only) that Interphase
and CMC both have intelligent Token-ring VMEbus cards but I'd really
prefer a "dumb" card, if possible.  A 6U form factor is a requirement.

ANY leads appreciated, intelligent or dumb. :-)

   --Marc Hasson

UUCP mail: suntzu!tdat!mbh@sun.com

U.S. mail: Teradata
           100 N. Sepulveda Blvd.
           El Segundo, Ca. 90245

Phones:    213-524-6062 (direct)
           213-524-5000 (main)

jel@tuura.UUCP (Jerry Lahti) (02/20/91)

mbh@copsw33.UUCP (Marc Hasson) writes:

>Does anyone know of a vendor which manufactures Token-ring cards for a
>VMEbus machine?  So far I've confirmed (verbally only) that Interphase
>and CMC both have intelligent Token-ring VMEbus cards but I'd really
>prefer a "dumb" card, if possible.  A 6U form factor is a requirement.

One alternative might be the Formation fv1600 adapter:
- single 6U VME board
- operates at 4 or 16 Mbps (jumper selectable)
- uses TI TMS380C16 COMMprocessor and TMS38053 ring interface chipset
- 512 KB of Token Ring buffer memory
- uses shared memory to communicate with host
- driver software for SunOS 4.x with RFC 1042 compatible IP and NIT
  access (no promiscuous mode or multicasts, though).

A pretty nice product; our company is likely to begin to sell it.

Contact information for the company:

Formation, Inc.
121 Whittendale Drive
Moorestown, NJ 08057

Tel: (609) 234 5020
FAX: (609) 234 8543

Our contact person has been Roger M. Wyer but I do not know if
he is the right one for you.

Best regrards,

Jerry Lahti
Nokia Data Systems Oy, Systems Division/Network Operating Systems
Domains: jel@xerver.data.nokia.fi