[comp.protocols.tcp-ip] DNS on VAX and TCP/IP on OS/2?

VANCE@TGV.COM (Icarus) (02/16/91)

>    This is *damn* embarassing, but I just got a request for information
>regarding the availability of DNS server software on VAXen -- I *know* I saw
>something about this within the last couple of days, but since I wasn't
>interested in the topic at the time (I thought we had solved all of our DNS
>problems), I didn't keep a copy of the information.
>
>    Could someone refresh my memory as to what is available on VAXen for DNS
>server software?  Mind you, it will have to interoperate with Suns (3, 4, &
>386i) running various versions of the OS (4.0.1 through 4.1.1), and PCs running
>3Com Ether+ software & (probably) cc:mail (hmmm... Kind of sounds like we need
>to start our own mailing list for those of us that have VAXen, Suns, and PCs
>with cc:mail and having to make them interact -- Let me know what you think of
>this idea), etc....

I'm assuming from your comments later in the message that you mean VAXen
running VMS.  Several IP for VMS vendors ship with ports of the 4.3 BSD
BIND DNS server, including:

	Company			Product
	-------			-------
	TGV			MultiNet
	Wollongong		WIN/TCP
	Network Research	Fusion
	CMU			CMU/Tek

I think that CMU/Tek either now has or soon will have (Bruce, am I lying?) a
BIND server.  I know the others do.  If you need contacts at any of the above,
I can forward them to you.

I think that you'll find that most of the vendors who have ported BIND will
state that they are "bug-compatible" with the 4.3 BSD UNIX version.  This
should make the versions interoperate with any other implementation that
is bug-compatible.

Regards,
-----Stuart

mark@TELESYS.NCSC.NAVY.MIL (Mark L. Williams) (02/19/91)

Brad Knowles asks...

> Could someone refresh my memory as to what is available on VAXen for DNS
> server software?

Don't know for sure offhand, but it seems like our Wollongong stuff uses
DNS on VAXen.

> Kind of sounds like we need to start our own mailing list for those
> of us that have VAXen, Suns, and PCs with cc:mail and having to
> make them interact -- Let me know what you think of this idea

I'd like to know more about cc:mail capabilities in the environment you
describe...

> BTW, does anyone know of a full suite of TCP/IP applications written to run
> on OS/2 (with the 3Com Ethernet software)?

3Com's 3+Open TCP/IP includes an OS/2 version as well as a DOS version.

Mark

ian@unipalm.uucp (Ian Phillipps) (02/20/91)

mark@TELESYS.NCSC.NAVY.MIL (Mark L. Williams) writes:

>Brad Knowles asks...

>> Could someone refresh my memory as to what is available on VAXen for DNS
>> server software?

>Don't know for sure offhand, but it seems like our Wollongong stuff uses
>DNS on VAXen.

MultiNet from TGV and Fusion from Network Research both have DNS servers.

>> BTW, does anyone know of a full suite of TCP/IP applications written to run
>> on OS/2 (with the 3Com Ethernet software)?

>3Com's 3+Open TCP/IP includes an OS/2 version as well as a DOS version.

FTP Software do, and this little firm called IBM have had a go as well,
although their latest effort involves yet another standard adapter
interface, so I don't know of the support for 3com cards.

Disclaimer: we sell some of the software mentioned above (guess which :-)

Ian
... what's a .signature file?

efeustel@prime.com (Ed Feustel) (02/21/91)

IBM TCP/IP 1.0 and 1.1 for OS/2 EE supports 3Com Ethernet cards including the
3C523 and I believe the 3C503. It supports DIX2.0 and IEEE 802.3 packet formats.
It has client and demon for telnet, tftp ftp, rexec, sendmail, and a number of
other standard utilities.  At version 1.1 it supports NFS but with some
security holes.  It provides Kerberos support, an RPC package, a sockets package,
terminal emulation for VT100, IBM3101, ANSI, and 3270 terminals.  It seems to
work well on my PS/2 80-111.  I use the packages to work with Prime, MIPS, Sun,
Apollo, and IBM.

Ed