[comp.protocols.tcp-ip] TCP/IP using streams?

meb@ee.mu.OZ.AU (Matthew Barry) (02/20/91)

Can anyone tell me which operating systems have implementions of
TCP/IP using streams modules?

Thanks in advance,

	Matthew Barry

thomas@nexus.se (02/21/91)

In article <MEB.91Feb20105117@orac.ee.mu.OZ.AU> meb@ee.mu.OZ.AU (Matthew Barry) writes:

   Can anyone tell me which operating systems have implementions of
   TCP/IP using streams modules?

I have a related question.
I'm in dire need of a TCP/IP streams implementation where I can separate
TCP and IP.

I've been checking WIN/TCP 3.1.0 for the 386 and it is streams only
above TCP.

The WIN/TCP drivers seems to be layered much like a streams stack. Are the
interfaces between the layers open and would it be feasible to put a packet
level module between TCP and IP in these drivers?

Znks.
Thomas
--
Real life:      Thomas Tornblom             Email:  thomas@nexus.se
Snail mail:     Communicator Nexus          Phone:  +46 18 171814

mjhammel@Kepler.dell.com (Michael J. Hammel) (02/22/91)

(Matthew Barry) writes:
> Can anyone tell me which operating systems have implementions of
> TCP/IP using streams modules?

The sockets implementation of TCP/IP is done in a STREAMS framework (as
stated in the AT&T System V Release 4 Programmer's Guide: Networking
Interfaces) for System V Release 4.  I believe ISC's TCP/IP (1.1.2 and
1.2 that I know of) package is also done over streams, but am not
completely sure of that.

Michael J. Hammel        | mjhammel@{Kepler|socrates}.dell.com
Dell Computer Corp.      | {73377.3467|76424.3024}@compuserve.com
#include <disclaim/std>  | zzham@ttuvm1.bitnet | uunet!uudell!feynman!mjhammel
#define CUTESAYING "Lead, follow, or get the hell out of the way."